Gun in hand......

This is a discussion on Gun in hand...... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I'm new, I want to share something that happened to me this week, but may not be the right place to put, if not, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gun in hand......

Exclamation Gun in hand......

Since I'm new, I want to share something that happened to me this week, but may not be the right place to put, if not, mods please relocate.

I drive through a rough part of town to get to work. This morning I was driving through a little after 5:00 and a red light caught me and the car in front. As I was waiting, I notice this guy coming my way, I thought he was going to cross the street, not. As he kept coming toward me, I just picked my gun up and held it pointing toward the driver door. My window was partially down and he came up to it, but didn't touch my car. He asked for a ride, I told him no, then he asked for money and I told him no, then he asked again for money and I told him firmly no. The light turned green and he was still standing there when I drove off. I am so glad it ended the way it did. In the back of my mind I have often wondered if someone would approach me that time of morning at a red light. Now I know, and I always have my gun in my range. I wonder if he picked my car since I was behind the first. Always be aware of your surroundings.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    ...and when that happens, keep checking your mirrors, too. Make sure he's not working with a partner or a crew coming up on the opposite side of the car.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Didn't know there was that much traffic around Beech Bluff. You guys have a red light?

Just kidding. You done fine. I don't think I would have pointed the gun toward the door just yet. I would have kept it in my lap, but pointing it toward the door is probably not good policy. My .02
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

agree with GlassWolf. I had a similar thing happen to me and the "real threat" was coming at me from the passenger side. The guy on the driver's side was just the decoy.
    Tutapper and gatorbait51 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I would have rolled up my window when I saw him coming, if it was even down to begin with. It sends a pretty clear message to most beggars that you're a waste of time. Honestly, I always keep my doors locked and my windows rolled up whenever I'm in an urban area where I may need to stop at a light. I consider a working A/C to be an essential safety component in a city car.

Windows and A/C can help save you from bad situations...I'm just saying'...
    Glad you had no bigger problems that morning.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another good reason not to be in the habit of pulling up to the bumper of cars in front of you at red lights. Leave enough room to allow you to navigate around that car if things go bad. There's a possibility that he picked the second car instead of the first because the first can easily take off and if you're stuck tight to the car in front of you, chances are that you're easy pickin's until the light turns green. That is, if the first car isn't part of the scheme.

Good to hear that it didn't get worse for you.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

You did what you thought you need to do. Sound to me you handled it well. Just don't forget keep your finger off the trigger and you head on a swivel. You got to go to work and he was able to pan handle more people. Both of you left alive that's the good thing.
    gatorbait51, Tutapper and tdave like this.

Glad it turned out OK. Could have been a panhandler. Could have been a set up. I prefer not to have the weapon visible or the window down. It worked for you. Great.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TDH1961 View Post
    You did what you thought you need to do. Sound to me you handled it well. Just don't forget keep your finger off the trigger and you head on a swivel. You got to go to work and he was able to pan handle more people. Both of you left alive that's the good thing.
    The gun wasn't in site, I held it low in my lap toward the door, and my finger was not on the trigger. I know gun safety. He stood there getting closer with his hands in his coat pocket, I was just being prepared if he tried to open my door. I am so thankful it turned out the way it did. Good advise about keep your head on a swivel. Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Some excellent advice here. I would add that you get some OC spray and carry a container on your person and another in the driver side door panel map pocket all of the time. The map pocket container will be easier to grab than one in your pocket. Brandishing a non-lethal weapon is easier to defend than brandishing a lethal weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You went hard core with the gun pointing - but it is your vehicle and you never know what the guy could have done. I haven't really thought about him being a distraction for a set up, good to know. I have 5% tint so nobody can really see in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutapper View Post
    Some excellent advice here. I would add that you get some OC spray and carry a container on your person and another in the driver side door panel map pocket all of the time. The map pocket container will be easier to grab than one in your pocket. Brandishing a non-lethal weapon is easier to defend than brandishing a lethal weapon.
    Beware that if you spray someone from your vehicle with OC spray, then you will most likely get a taste as well - even MORE if its windy out! ;)
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

When i was driving a big truck (Not allowed to carry a firearm) But i had a large steel MAG LIGHT (and a knife) in a pouch on my right side of seat. Once I forgot to LOCK the passenger side door, and I was parked for the night at a truck stop. A "LOT LIZARD" (hooker) just opened the passenger door and jumped in the cab with me. I grabbed the Maglite turned it on and and in a deep voice yelled get out....... She RAN SCREAMING don't Shoot ! I guess if nothing else a good tactical light might work.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

When I worked afternoons/midnights in downtown Detroit, unless it was a well lit main street, I wouldn't stop for red lights. I'd check for on-coming traffic at a slow roll, if there was none, I'd go on thru. If I'd ever been pulled over, I'd tell the LEO exactly why I did what I did. That was before CC was allowed, but I'd do the same thing today if I was still working, armed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    When I worked afternoons/midnights in downtown Detroit, unless it was a well lit main street, I wouldn't stop for red lights. I'd check for on-coming traffic at a slow roll, if there was none, I'd go on thru. If I'd ever been pulled over, I'd tell the LEO exactly why I did what I did. That was before CC was allowed, but I'd do the same thing today if I was still working, armed or not.
    You mean, before the advent of intersection photo enforcement?
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links