Whats your routine?

Whats your routine?

This is a discussion on Whats your routine? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering what the routine is for everybody once they get home? Do you leave your gun on your person? Where does it go ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Whats your routine?

Whats your routine?

I was wondering what the routine is for everybody once they get home?
    Do you leave your gun on your person? Where does it go after that? What condition is it in?

Here's my situation:
    I have a wife who is still kinda nervous around guns. And a 3 year old boy.

I work 3-11pm almost daily.

When I come home, holstered gun stays in holster, is doffed with pants next to bed. I have a separate nightstand gun.

When I get up, the holstered gun is donned with the pants.

When my grandkids come over, nightstand guns are locked in lockbox, I have only key. Holstered gun remains holstered, on me.

That's my routine.

With a 3 year old boy. I might start teaching him now, depending on his maturity... but would definitely locate NRA Eddy Eagle on You Tube.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Always Carry, Never Tell

Gun goes on when I get dressed and comes off when I get undressed.
    Ianthin, brocktice and voodoo304 like this.

If I keep my shorts/jeans on I have my EDC, extra magazine, flashlight, knife, keys, phone, and wallet on me. My gun stays in the holster unless it is needed. If I decide that I'm going to stay in for the night I may switch to lounge pants and put my EDC in my nightstand lock box. My EDC is always sportin' a full magazine and one in the chamber (it's a GLOCK so it is not locked) unless I'm cleaning, dry firing, or shootin' it. It's me, my wife, and an 18 year old that has a respect for firearms but I do not leave guns out and about in my home.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

OP, keep your gun holstered and it will be safe. With a 3 year old in the house I would keep it holstered or locked up nowhere in between.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It comes out of the holster for a wipe-down, goes back in the holster and stays there. At bedtime, it goes on the bedside stand beside the SureFire and extra mag.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I usually keep my lcp in my pocket (w/holster) until I go to bed and back in my pocket when I get up. My lounge pants or sleep shorts have pockets. So, I even carry while dressed for bed. While dressed for the day, I always carry; where & when it's legal.

-

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    OP, keep your gun holstered and it will be safe. With a 3 year old in the house I would keep it holstered or locked up nowhere in between.
    I dont have a safe. I have a trigger lock, but I don't want to use it for a home defense gun, because it defeats the entire purpose.
    What I have been doing is bring the gun inside, put it in my closet on the 7' high shelf, well out of his reach. At night, when he goes to bed, it moves to my nightstand. It's got a full mag with nothing in the chamber. In the morning, I get dressed, the gun goes in my belt and into the glove box.
    This will all change when I get my holster and permit. I'll then change the routine to match many others. The gun will stay in my holster on the night stand, and on my person until I get to work (damn company policy!) and change into PJ pants.
    I don't know that I can convince my wife (yet) that I need to wear my gun around inside 100% of the time. It's going to take her some getting used to.

VIP Member
    Center of Mass Safe. Screw them directly into the floor or bolt them via cable to the floor. Get them keyed alike. Keep the gun on you or locked (and then the key on you, not in a drawer or key holder or on a 7' shelf). Anything else is just plain stupid with a 3 yo around. Your wife is nervous when you have a gun on...... well she should be out of her mind having one unsecured and out of your control. Tell her to get over it, as it is safest on you.

In Car Gun Lockers

Kids climb shelves or get ladders. He will see you put it there and will want to see what it is. Locked in the safe, he can't get at it
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Well, I am single and no children. Once I get home, I take off my carry gun still in holster, loaded chamber. It's kept within reach or at least in sight of where I am at all times. That's to say "home" is inside the house. If I go outside to get the mail, take the dog for a walk, or take out the trash, the whole package goes back on my person just like it came off.
    If I were in your situation, it would either be on me or in the safe. Depending on where you live and how well you feel at home unarmed. It's becoming more common for two or three thugs just to break through your front door whether anyone's home or not and do as they will. Personally, I always keep that in mind. Granted.......going home to relax should be a comfortable ordeal. Just like when you and your wife want to cuddle up on the couch once the little one is in bed.

The ideas of comfort and refusing to be a victim may seem miles apart, but sometimes being totally comfortable is like forgetting to pay your life insurance premium. Carry is a way of life. It will, and should change everything about you from how you think, to the clothes you wear. In reality, the responsibilities involved with carrying a concealed weapon are not that much different from driving your vehicle.

Driving a vehicle seems to be easily integrated into every day life for most folks. If your whole family is in the vehicle while you are driving, your responsibilities increase because you are also concerned with their safety. Driving alone and you still have responsibilities to your family for arriving home alive and going to work tomorrow to pay the bills and your life insurance premium. What would your family do without you? What would you do without your family? Carrying is just like putting the keys in the ignition with or without the rest of your family in the car. Keep it simple, keep it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Center of Mass Safe. Screw them directly into the floor or bolt them via cable to the floor. Get them keyed alike. Keep the gun on you or locked (and then the key on you, not in a drawer or key holder or on a 7' shelf). Anything else is just plain stupid with a 3 yo around. Your wife is nervous when you have a gun on...... well she should be out of her mind having one unsecured and out of your control. Tell her to get over it, as it is safest on you.

In Car Gun Lockers

Kids climb shelves or get ladders. He will see you put it there and will want to see what it is. Locked in the safe, he can't get at it
    Like I said, this is all temporary until my holster and permit arrive. I plan on keeping it on my person while in and around the house. I'll probably have the trigger lock on it or the magazines separate while it's not.
    I will not EVER have the gun in condition 2 with my 3 year old around. NEVER.
    JDavisArk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Well, I am single and no children. Once I get home, I take off my carry gun still in holster, loaded chamber. It's kept within reach or at least in sight of where I am at all times. That's to say "home" is inside the house. If I go outside to get the mail, take the dog for a walk, or take out the trash, the whole package goes back on my person just like it came off.
    If I were in your situation, it would either be on me or in the safe. Depending on where you live and how well you feel at home unarmed. It's becoming more common for two or three thugs just to break through your front door whether anyone's home or not and do as they will. Personally, I always keep that in mind. Granted.......going home to relax should be a comfortable ordeal. Just like when you and your wife want to cuddle up on the couch once the little one is in bed.

The ideas of comfort and refusing to be a victim may seem miles apart, but sometimes being totally comfortable is like forgetting to pay your life insurance premium. Carry is a way of life. It will, and should change everything about you from how you think, to the clothes you wear. In reality, the responsibilities involved with carrying a concealed weapon are not that much different from driving your vehicle.

Driving a vehicle seems to be easily integrated into every day life for most folks. If your whole family is in the vehicle while you are driving, your responsibilities increase because you are also concerned with their safety. Driving alone and you still have responsibilities to your family for arriving home alive and going to work tomorrow to pay the bills and your life insurance premium. What would your family do without you? What would you do without your family? Carrying is just like putting the keys in the ignition with or without the rest of your family in the car. Keep it simple, keep it safe.
    Thats going to be the hardest thing to get used to. I like to put him to bed, take a shower, and throw on some baggy PJ pants and lounge around. I may start to just have the gun on the coffee table with us.....
    I think it'll take the news of a local break in or assault for her to want me to carry inside. I just don't know that she'll understand why I need my gun on me at dinner, or while I'm loading the dishwasher, or cutting the grass......
    But my position is that, why should it take such an event to make it OK? What if WE are that event? What if it's OUR house?
    We live in a super safe neighborhood. So it doesn't happen around us. It just doesn't. But.....what if it does?
    joker1 likes this.

I spent about $50.00 on Homak lockbox that sits on the nightstand. It can be bolted to it or the wall. It is not super high security and can probably be broken into with a few simple tools in minutes. It literally is where my gun sleeps when I sleep. I don't rely on it to keep my gun safe from theft just to keep it safe from little fingers, which I really don't have around the house. It provides quick access when my early warning system (Dog) goes off in the middle of the night. If for some reason I would leave the house for several hours and not take the gun I would secure it in a regular safe.

Spend a little to get a pistol lockbox for your nightstand and advise your wife that 100% of home invasions occur in the home. Go ahead and get your concealed carry holster if that is the gun you are going to carry. You don't need to have a permit to carry a gun on your own property. Additionally you can have the holster broke in and be a little more used to carrying when you do get your permit. Keep the gun holstered, a nervous wife is not entertained by you practicing drawing your pistol and performing tactical barrell rolls in the living room like they do on TV. They also hate the idea of a loaded gun laying on a table or next to you on the couch. Keep it holstered and the trigger covered even if you get a simple holster to open carry around the house.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    You also hint that you carry it in the car and then leave it there while at work. Lock the damn thing up in a car safe, don't leave it unsecured with just the doors locked.

Do yourself a favor, get two COM safes, keyed alike, one for the car and one for the house and if it isn't on you, it should be locked in the safe.

Just that simple.
    brocktice likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Here is what I use. HOMAK HS10036685 Electronic Access Pistol Box, 10 X 14.25 X 7.5 Inch - Amazon.com.

It is not the best or the worst but it does the job. They do make smaller ones but this one would fit your Dirty Harry pistol if that is how you roll.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links