Does everyone know about the Gonzaga U. controversy???

This is a discussion on Does everyone know about the Gonzaga U. controversy??? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two students living off-campus in a campus-owned apartment...confronted by thug trying to break in. One drew a gun. The students now face disciplinary action for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Does everyone know about the Gonzaga U. controversy???

Two students living off-campus in a campus-owned apartment...confronted by thug trying to break in. One drew a gun. The students now face disciplinary action for having guns in their apartment. Campus security seized the guns (without warrant???).

The bad guy was arrested by police, on a Dept. of Corrections warrant.

Gonzaga students placed on probation, will appeal

Gonzaga University yesterday advised two senior roommates who fended off a wanted felon with a handgun that they are now on probation, but this morning’s Spokane Spokesman-Review reports that Erik Fagan and Daniel McIntosh will appeal the ruling.

Gonzaga students placed on probation, will appeal - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    ccw9mm likes this.

VIP Member
    It looks like good things may come of this incident.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Campus owned, they get to make the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't live there. I believe in the 2nd Amendment, I also believe in the rights of property owners to make the rules for the property they own.
    BigCityChief and De5115 like this.

When I went to school if it was school owned it was reated as though you were on campus The sam as a dorm room

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    some states prohibit landlords from banning guns owned by the renters, CA is one of them surprisingly.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Campus owned, they get to make the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't live there. I believe in the 2nd Amendment, I also believe in the rights of property owners to make the rules for the property they own.
    I have to disagree, money has exchanged hands and that apartment is their domicle. I agree that property owners can enforced lots of rules, but they cannot nullify constitutional rights.

From the article:

University President Thayne M. McCulloh announced yesterday that this incident allows the opportunity to re-evaluate the policy on firearms.
    Let's hope so and let's hope true common sense prevails.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...olicy/3497919/

"Gonzaga University has agreed to review its weapons policy as two students who used a pistol to drive an intruder from their apartment appeal their probation for having guns in their university-owned apartment."

Maybe common sense will win out here!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I have to disagree, money has exchanged hands and that apartment is their domicle. I agree that property owners can enforced lots of rules, but they cannot nullify constitutional rights.
    You may disagree, but you would be wrong in many states. There is almost always a rental/lease contract with conditions set, which the occupant "agrees" to comply with upon signing. Add to it being school property.
    BigCityChief likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Looks like they got probation, but they are protesting it. Looks like the university is trying to do the right thing by not expelling them, but not go as far to say the policy is wrong.

Gonzaga seniors on probation for gun rule violation - Spokesman.com - Nov. 10, 2013
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Strong 2A lawyer should be able to easily eat this for lunch. 2A Foundation does pro bono in certain cases or they get you in touch with a lawyer who will.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Gonzaga is a private college, not State sponsored. As private property owners they can set the rules; not that I agree with them. If you don't like the rules, don't go to school there and don't live in their facilities.

See below, taken directly from Gonzaga's website:

Gonzaga University – A Catholic Liberal Arts Education

Gonzaga University is a private liberal arts college located in Spokane, Washington. Providing a Catholic liberal arts education, we are dedicated to the Jesuit, Catholic, humanistic ideals of educating the mind, body and spirit to create men and women for others. Located on the north bank of the Spokane River, Gonzaga University inspires and transforms people to shape a better world through education, character, service and faith.

And the following comes from the WA state statutes:

RCW 59.18.140
    Reasonable obligations or restrictions — Tenant's duty to conform.

The tenant shall conform to all reasonable obligations or restrictions, whether denominated by the landlord as rules, rental agreement, rent, or otherwise, concerning the use, occupation, and maintenance of his or her dwelling unit, appurtenances thereto, and the property of which the dwelling unit is a part if such obligations and restrictions are not in violation of any of the terms of this chapter and are not otherwise contrary to law, and if such obligations and restrictions are brought to the attention of the tenant at the time of his or her initial occupancy of the dwelling unit and thus become part of the rental agreement. Except for termination of tenancy, after thirty days written notice to each affected tenant, a new rule of tenancy including a change in the amount of rent may become effective upon completion of the term of the rental agreement or sooner upon mutual consent.

[2010 c 8 § 19022; 1989 c 342 § 6; 1973 1st ex.s. c 207 § 14.]

One of the requirements to get base housing when I was active duty was to register all my firearms on base. I wasn't about to do that, so I didn't live on base. Just that simple.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I agree that the property belongs to Gonzo. I agree that there may have been stipulation in the lease stating that no firearms allowed...

However. Even in some of the more onerous gun states, you were permitted to have firearms in your domicile.... Even if the terms of the lease were brief. As in a hotel/motel.

They could, I suppose, restrict weapons in "common" areas. But believe that a good attorney could put the kabosh on this nonsense.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

In the end....they are ALIVE and were not robbed, raped, murdered or pillaged. THAT is what guns do for you.

So they are now "on probabtion"....well probation beats death or serious injury every day of the week. And I have a feeling that if enough people express outrage at the situation to the university I'll bet the "probation" will quietly end.

Maybe the world needs some more "civil disobedience" like this.....
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links