Gun safe recommendations.

This is a discussion on Gun safe recommendations. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sure this has been beat to death but here it is again. I plead retarded... or "search challenged"... I presently have about a half ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gun safe recommendations.

Gun safe recommendations.

I'm sure this has been beat to death but here it is again. I plead retarded... or "search challenged"...

I presently have about a half dozen long arms and a handful of handguns, some of which I need to begin locking up (better late than never). I also want to store as much of my ammo as possible (presently about 10, 50 cal cans), IF it doesn't push up the price significantly. I'm interested in something in the $400 - $800 dollar range that the average criminal won't be able to crack. I've only looked at a Cannon and Winchester at a local Tractor Supply Co but I do like the multi-pin locking systems. My wife and I are discussing where "it" will go and it'll likely be bolted to a concrete pad.

Also, what are your thoughts on electronic keypad combo locks? Are they an issue if the battery dies?

2. Remove Ads

Here's an informational video that will at least help you generate some good questions. It's brand-specific, but look past that and absorb the information presented. GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" weaponseducation - YouTube

Beyond that: Consider bolting the safe to hard structure (like concrete floor) mandatory. The "soft underbelly" for a lot of safes is their floor, which may be defeated by sledgehammering once the safe is tipped over.

A friend and I both got safes within a couple of weeks of each other maybe 3-4 years ago. Different brands of safes, but both came with the convenient S&G digital keypad locks. BOTH locks failed within a week of each other. I got lucky and eventually was able to open my safe; he wasn't, and his old lock had to be drilled out. Both safes now have the conventional, mechanical dial-tumbler locks. Your mileage may vary.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide @ 6mmbr.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

S&G tumblers. My dealer carried both mechanical and digital. He said 99% of his calls were on the digitals.
    SIGguy229 and ccw9mm like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you go digital, make sure it has a keyed backup. I prefer a proven tumbler. I'm not concerned about storing ammo in a safe, but get one larger than what you think you need. That's the biggest comment I hear--Wish I'd gotten a bigger one. Unless you get a mega safe, definitely bolt it to something solid.
    Bassindude and bigmacque like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Got a safe some years back. Swapped the digital unit out with a Sargent & Greenleaf manual lock ... and slept much better for having done that. Of course, that was done on a big floor safe where instant access wasn't a primary concern.

Were I to require instant access, I'd want a faster way to get in than a manual 3-number dial lock. But for most folks, then, that means digital, with all the increased risk of failure those bring to the table.

Is it an issue if the digital/batteries fail? Only if you need to get back into the safe.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have two 34-gun safes with a high Security Rating and Fire Rating. They both have dial only combos, so I won't get locked out.
    The 'Quick-Access' of the electronic keypads seem more of a liability, to me.
    Mine are both heavily anchored into concrete and have a heater to prevent condensation + a bag of "Sta-Dry" as a backup (if the calcium carbonate crystals in the "Sta-Dry" turns to water, I'll know my heating rod is malfunctioning and my firearms are in danger of moisture (internally & externally).
    Heating rods cost about $28. delivered & will cover up to 100 sq ft (they only get very hot to hold, so not a fire hazard) Rechargeable types like "EVA DRY" are good for those with good memories. I'd always recommend the "Stay-Dry" packets for closets as a back-up to your dehumidifier, though.

You can usually get a 24 gun Sentry Safe from The Home Depot delivered to your door for ~$550. with a decent Security & Fire rating. It should come with enough shelving to set it up with 6 shelves on on side/ or a couple above a dozen rifles or so. They are about the cheapest way to go.
    2 guys with a hand dolly can bring it in, down the hallway, & set it up easy enough.

Adequate humidity gauges are cost prohibitive.
    Some safes benefit from weather stripping on the door.
    Check here for some good budget safes (adequate) info: Gun Safe Reviews | Best Buying Guides of 2013
    Arejay likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you go digital, make sure it has a keyed backup. I prefer a proven tumbler. I'm not concerned about storing ammo in a safe, but get one larger than what you think you need. That's the biggest comment I hear--Wish I'd gotten a bigger one. Unless you get a mega safe, definitely bolt it to something solid.
    I agree with OldVet. Not only are electronic 100-200 more than tumbler safes, what happens if you cant get batteries sometime in the future? In a SHTF situation Id hate for my batteries to be out. Jim
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

RKM
    I have a digital safe from BassPro. It's ok for now. I intend on buying a bigger, nicer safe eventually, and will buy another digital, however, I want one with a key override. If my electrical keypad or lock goes bad, I'm screwed. I need to call a safe/locksmith. Or if it's serious and I need in the safe ASAP, and a lock smith isn't available, I took the inside door apart and taught myself how to break into it if needed. A drill, a chisel, a BIG hammer, and some time will do the trick.

For the time being, not everything is locked up, just in case.

Im just sad thinking of when no one ever heard of a gun safe, and couldnt have imagined what one was for.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

I have a liberty fatboy with 11 guage steel. 4 bolts right into the foundation. Good safe so far and lots of accessories available

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

If you live near a Tractor Supply check out the Winchester safes. The 24 gun model is in your price range and will be on cheaper on the upcoming Black Friday.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    If you can't walk in to it, it's not big enough.
    jscottjr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I saw one at Lowes recently w/ a manual combo lock that was made in USA for about $350. I belive it was a Centurion (sp?)
    Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by soonershoote View Post
    I have a liberty fatboy with 11 guage steel. 4 bolts right into the foundation.
    Went the route of a safe with 3ga steel, myself. Bolts to the foundation. Well outside the <$800 range, though.

OP, if you've got the patience to hunt around and wait for the right deal to come along then keeping an eye on CraigsList can be a way to get a good safe at a great deal. Found my safe that way, for about one-third of the retail price. Almost bought a smaller TL-30 safe for the sidearms for 1/6th the normal pricing, in fairly good condition.

Business bankruptcies can be a good way to find screamin' deals on safes, too. If you're quick, you can occasionally make a deal before the (other) vultures swoop in to buy up the stuff lock, stock and barrel.

Point being, these can be great ways to get much greater value out of your "safe" dollar. Might take some patience to find the right deal, though.

On CraigsList, right now, there are some ads. For example -- Liberty Gun Safe ... 25 guns.

Over in Miami, there's one listed that's a TL-15, 6ft tall, the sort of safe you pass on to your grandkids -- TL-15 Tall Gun Or Jewelery Safe, $1500 listed. Might be worth the stretch, if you want to purchase once and be done with it.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links