Road trip with a Gun

This is a discussion on Road trip with a Gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all,I've been a member here a little while now although I haven't posted much.However I do read this forum quite often and enjoy reading ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By cgrisamore
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By stylus

Thread: Road trip with a Gun

Road trip with a Gun

Hello all,I've been a member here a little while now although I haven't posted much.However I do read this forum quite often and enjoy reading all of the valuable info and knowledgable opinions.
    I have a few questions on traveling with SD Handgun.I have a resident Louisiana handgun permit.My wife and I are planning a road trip through Arkansas,Missouri,Tennessee,and Mississippi.After a few searches,Im pretty certain that these states honor LA permits,however I couldn't find much info on having a loaded gun in a vehicle in these states.I was planning on traveling with it loaded inside my trucks unlocked (lockable)console.
    Louisiana is also a duty to inform state,does anyone know if I would be required to inform in any or all of these states.
    While I'm asking,I may as we'll inquire about SYG laws.
    Your thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Mike L.

2. Remove Ads

Load it on up for Tennessee, Hoss! YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Hi Mike

Think you'll find this a good resource for these type of questions. Handgunlaw.us

I have a Texas CHL and have used this site before taking a roadtrip. Always got what I needed.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrisamore View Post
    Hi Mike

Think you'll find this a good resource for these type of questions. Handgunlaw.us

I have a Texas CHL and have used this site before taking a roadtrip. Always got what I needed.
    Plus 1-
    You can find direct links to the statues in every state you'll be traveling through. I would also suggest printing off the pertinent sections of the law for each state & keeping them handy just in case you need to look something up on the fly. (I create a file before each trip and read over the laws again before I reach the state line of whatever state I'll be traveling in.

-

I always check the above links and read this The Traveler's Gun & Knife Law Book, 3rd Edition: The Essential Resource for Travelers, Hunters and Concealed-Carry Permit Holders: David Wong Esq.: 9780982684023: Amazon.com: Books . It is pretty good . A bit dated ( ie NV still honor AZ , not true). But I took a 3 state road trip with and some reading on the official gov sites for each state ( most were pretty clear on what to do and not to do..) and was just fine . In the south and soutwest you tend to be ok with having a gun on you if you have a permit ( some states do have weird you cant carry here laws or you can only carry one gun )

VIP Member
    Yes, definitely......to researching each state's laws on line as being better than a comprehensive "fact gathering" site. And printing the laws to take along is probably a very good idea "just in case".

In my own state I often feel free to drive 5 mi above the posted speed limit, but when I used to travel I was VERY careful to obey every traffic law, even if I wound up being slower than most other vehicles on the highway. That's one tiny thing you can do to help minimize contact with LEOs who might or might not be friendly to out of staters no matter what the law says.

Good luck and have a great trip.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by LAtoolman View Post
    I have a resident Louisiana handgun permit.
    Is that a concealed carry type permit or some sort of purchase/ownership permit? A "handgun permit" could mean different things in different states.

Just trying to make sure we all understand exactly what the question entails :)

Quote Originally Posted by grbr View Post
    Is that a concealed carry type permit or some sort of purchase/ownership permit? A "handgun permit" could mean different things in different states.

Just trying to make sure we all understand exactly what the question entails :)
    Sorry about that! Yes it is a LA concealed carry permit.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Handgunlaw.us was very helpful.I had visited that site in my original search but not thorough enough I guess.
    I will print some of that info also.Then it looks like we're good to go.
    Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by LAtoolman View Post
    Hello all,I've been a member here a little while now although I haven't posted much.However I do read this forum quite often and enjoy reading all of the valuable info and knowledgable opinions.
    I have a few questions on traveling with SD Handgun.I have a resident Louisiana handgun permit.My wife and I are planning a road trip through Arkansas,Missouri,Tennessee,and Mississippi.After a few searches,Im pretty certain that these states honor LA permits,however I couldn't find much info on having a loaded gun in a vehicle in these states.I was planning on traveling with it loaded inside my trucks unlocked (lockable)console.
    Louisiana is also a duty to inform state,does anyone know if I would be required to inform in any or all of these states.
    While I'm asking,I may as we'll inquire about SYG laws.
    Your thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Mike L.
    Handgunlaw.us

Click on each state and read their respective information.

As an armed traveler, I have a couple tips:
    • Always inform a cop, even if you don't think you have to. That way you won't fail to inform when you need to.
    • Keep the gun in a micro-vault. This avoids obscure laws about who is sitting in the passenger seat. In some states so much as letting a child sit in your front seat while an unloaded gun is in the center console is a felony. If the gun is in a vault, though, no problem.
    • Take out your map and cut out NY, IL and CA. These states no longer exist in so far as your traveling life is concerned. You will not travel through them, you will not stop in them, they do not exist.
    brocktice likes this.

Other considerations are 'capacity', restaurants, legality of posted buildings, in reach of a non-CPL citizen, restaurant carry, city property, parks, etc., etc.
    Are Municipalities compelled to follow State Law (aka, Preemption law). There is weird stuff out their, law do not require logic.
    Regarding "Stand-Your-Ground"; are you NOT defend yourself, or abandon a loved one. in a deadly confrontation? Quite a moot point, there.
    Rule #1, if its concealed, its not an issue.

Some States require you to inform a LEO if you are armed (you are considered armed anyway by ALL well trained LEOs) DUH. Is it wise to tell Officer FNG or Officer EGO, you are armed and open a can-of-worms.... doing the right thing can often get you locked up.

Best info is from the States' Attorney Generals' Office, any emails from them are binding.
    Many online sources are not current, as laws change &/or go into effect on any given day.

My State's gun laws are incorrect due to many laws having gone into effect months ago.
    Some local jurisdictions will enforce illegal gun laws despite legislated preemptive State gun laws to the contrary.
    There are judges whom will convict and sentence you contrary to the law. Politics and Law are often getting jumbled these days.

I was taught more than 40 yrs ago, that 'out-of-State' tags were primo targets as they were unlikely to contest their cite in court.
    Just politely take your phony speeding cite and vote out as much corruption as you can in every election. It has happened to me when I was an LEO.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post

As an armed traveler, I have a couple tips:
    • Always inform a cop, even if you don't think you have to. That way you won't fail to inform when you need to.
    • Keep the gun in a micro-vault. This avoids obscure laws about who is sitting in the passenger seat. In some states so much as letting a child sit in your front seat while an unloaded gun is in the center console is a felony. If the gun is in a vault, though, no problem.
    • Take out your map and cut out NY, IL and CA. These states no longer exist in so far as your traveling life is concerned. You will not travel through them, you will not stop in them, they do not exist.

There are only 10 must inform states. AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX. It's easy enough to figure out if you are passing thru one on your travels.

You can add IL back into your map book. With a permit a non-resident can drive thru IL with a loaded gun. You just can't remove it from the vehicle.

Links