Ahhh... The holidays are upon us...

This is a discussion on Ahhh... The holidays are upon us... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That's as pleasant as this topic gets... In fact, it gets nasty from here on... Elderly, early shoppers are getting their homes robbed of holiday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Ahhh... The holidays are upon us...

Ahhh... The holidays are upon us...

That's as pleasant as this topic gets... In fact, it gets nasty from here on...

Elderly, early shoppers are getting their homes robbed of holiday gifts.

That's bad. But it gets worse, much much worse...

The elderly are having their homes invaded with more frequency, easy targets.

That's worse, but not much much worse...

This is: Two gunmen restrained, raped 79-year-old woman in home invasion in Lawrenceville - Atlanta Crime | Examiner.com

This could be YOUR grandma, YOUR mom, MAYBE EVEN YOUR WIFE.

There are some very very sick people out there. If you know an elderly person... For the holidays, help them secure their homes... If they're able to handle a gun, help them learn to use it... Do what you can.

I watch the news for home invasions nationwide... I'm seeing more elderly being targeted.

Do what you can to help.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

There's plenty of bad that comes out at this time of the year. I'll do my part in helping the few elderly that I do know and if possible, those that I do not know.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Old people are also becoming more and more the targets of scammers and identify thieves.

Gramps and I are part of those 'elderly people' - but we have an alarm system (underground wiring, so can't be easily cut from outside) with battery backup and are both armed almost all the time. Wish the other old folks were also! I also try to practice good SA, which takes a little more effort than it does for younger folks.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

All I can say is to quote Charlie Danienls " I wont hurt a fly , but if I catch you coming through my front door I got a 12 gauge waiting on the other side"

Yeah it is sick someone would do that do any one never mind the elderly. I was happy to hear more ccw in TX were going to the over 50 crowd and I always love the NRA mag stories of the old folks taking care of business.

I was at a airport one time helping this nice lady ( say 60 or so) with her bags and talking abut AZ and I said you have coyotes where you live and she said yeah I do that why I keep a 45 next to the door for when I walk the dogs .. Don't mess with old people they may have killed in the war and they may just not feel like running anymore .

I guess we should hope to what ever god/faith you believe in that this holiday season and new year will be one of peace and good will toward mankind

Surprising how many of us older folks here in FL carry. Our retirement community has a 24 hr guarded gate only way in. We also have neighborhood watch an lots of us have dogs. Its nice knowing everybody knows everybody here, strangers or young people stick out.

The elderly folks I know nearby are farmers. Still at it at the story victim's age... I'm pretty sure either of them could break me like a twig, and I ain't small.

But there are many at church that are unprepared for the ugliness if the world. There are many in my small town, too.

I will do what I can. These oldsters are part of the greatest generation...they saw the depression, they saw the wars, they were tough as nails once, but age takes a toll, and I feel some debt to them.

niks, Aceoky, Ghost1958 and 1 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Well I'm 73 almost 74 and I have been contacting my friends and reminding them but myself I look forward to the deer in the headlight eyes and yes I still say Merry Christmas. All of you around my age stay alert and be safe, I guess that can work for all of you.

I'm 63 and i need much much more range time and some more intermediate training.... my wife just doesn't get it, yet.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The elderly folks I know nearby are farmers. Still at it at the story victim's age... I'm pretty sure either of them could break me like a twig, and I ain't small.

But there are many at church that are unprepared for the ugliness if the world. There are many in my small town, too.

I will do what I can. These oldsters are part of the greatest generation...they saw the depression, they saw the wars, they were tough as nails once, but age takes a toll, and I feel some debt to them.

That reminds me of my old landlord, Mr. George. He was in 70's, hell maybe 80's and I leased a small garage/apartment near his cattle pasture and every morning, he'd be out tending to the farm by himself and I mean every morning. He had a heart attack and was right back out there, working his ass off. On the weekends I had off, I'd help him out and he's gotta be the toughest SOB I've ever met in my life.
    brocktice, Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I'm 63 and i need much much more range time and some more intermediate training.... my wife just doesn't get it, yet.
    Then you have to do double duty!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Ask your local LEO's to come do a "Show and Tell" on Holiday security over coffee after church for a couple of weeks running.
    blitzburgh and ccw9mm like this.

Many criminals often head to where "the goods" are, and "the goodies." Folks get targeted at the malls, followed to where they live, hit later (or right then).

Watch your "six," folks. Ramp up awareness. Park judiciously. Don't dawdle, once the car has stopped moving, and once you've gotten in. Lock the doors/windows immediately upon reentry of your car. Watch for trailers, when leaving a shop with tons of bags. Do not make it home when you've noticed a trailer following you home. Go shopping for "bags" of stuff with a partner, and keep a vigilant watch out for questionable sorts around you, eyeing you, following you. Same ol', same ol', but all the more important when we're painting targets on our backs with tons of stuff in tow, our attention wavering, our heads buried in the back seats while loading, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maybe I'm a Nazi, but I hate the holidays. Seems to bring out both the best and the worst in people.

I help folks out when I can. Old timers are owed. They set things up so that we have it pretty good.

Even if all they need is respect, they surely get it from me. And woe to he who screws around with them.
    blitzburgh likes this.

I've been working on a 74 year old former co-worker who lives alone. She's aware of the threat but resigned to letting the bad guy win should he come a knocking. I don't lose any sleep over it but it is very frustrating. Any advise would be appreciated...
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Old people are also becoming more and more the targets of scammers and identify thieves.

Gramps and I are part of those 'elderly people' - but we have an alarm system (underground wiring, so can't be easily cut from outside) with battery backup and are both armed almost all the time. Wish the other old folks were also! I also try to practice good SA, which takes a little more effort than it does for younger folks.
    Yeah there's been a steady ID theft thing going on here around NoVA for a while. It seems they've been rather successful with phone phishing on the elderly around here.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links