Citzens hire private security to make up for the lack of Police presence

This is a discussion on Citzens hire private security to make up for the lack of Police presence within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With Robberies Up, Oakland Residents Turn To Private Cops : NPR Do you think that this is a viable solution as cities have to lay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Citzens hire private security to make up for the lack of Police presence

Senior Moderator

With Robberies Up, Oakland Residents Turn To Private Cops : NPR

Do you think that this is a viable solution as cities have to lay off police officers due to shrinking budgets?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Personally, in my opinion; Oakland has been going downhill for many years, and anything to downgrade the crime, will be an improvement. I think the private security firms have an active stake in protection, and know if they do not perform, they'll be looking for work. On the other hand some police municipalities have become complacent in knowing they can/will respond when they get good and ready, and not before. I'm not pointing fingers at any police departments, it's just the general run down conditions that are creating more crime, with less and less police protection.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

Do you think that this is a viable solution as cities have to lay off police officers due to shrinking budgets?
    Sure. So is the citizenry arming themselves. Won't help much outside the home, in Oakland, being in a liberty-hating county. But inside the home, they're ever bit as capable of arming themselves to the teeth as any other California citizen, more so than many folks in some other states.

Sad, that folks anywhere have to resort to private dial-a-prayer. It's a sad commentary when the police are not only minutes away, but often unavailable given the level of violence and size of budgets. A sure sign of a town sliding into the toilet, there, rising crime and shrinking tax revenues. Oakland ... the new Detroit (soon enough, if it keeps on like this).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If I was them, I'd ask for a refund of all the tax money they pay for cops that don't protect them. :)
    sdprof and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It is if the "citizens" are prepared to accept the civil liability that goes along with it. You pay for it; you own what ever litigation comes of it. That security cop makes a bad call, where do you think the lawyers are headed? It ain't to the security guard's house.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

From the article:
    "More than 600 households pay $20 a month for unarmed patrols in clearly marked cars to run 12 hours a day, Monday through Saturday."

So that tells me that if I am a BG, I have 12 hours a day and all day Sunday to do my nefarious deeds. They say in business, timing is everything.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Actually, that's a very good point. There's a reasonable case to be made that some types of hired security should receive a tax deduction. Especially if that hired security has obvious 'public good' effects (as in, the economic concept of 'public good').

Policing has long been justified as a governmental expense specifically because it fits into the 'public good' economic vibe.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There WILL be patents with this (simple) discovery. That, and "type III levers". It's untapped wealth, waiting for you who Google. Or your kids. People expanding on the potential are welcome to elucidate; I didn't phrase it well

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If your taxes were reduced by the amount that went to LE services, you wouldn't get much of a discount.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Without knowing the budget the city has and where they spend their money wisely or poorly I won't comment if they could have done better. With that said, a slight increase in the amount of LE in certain cities or a slight decrease IMO would not matter too much. I have been to Bogota and other cities that have a ton of LE and the crime rate is terrible.

You can increase or decrease the police and security forces 20 percent and it would not make a change in the crime rate.
    gatorbait51 and Mike1956 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

unarmed sercurity, less effective than a neighborhood watch group.
    neighborhood watch- cheaper, you know who is supose to be there, and the neighbors know who is doing the watching, and police response time for your area etc.
    unarmed security-new to the area and people, knows nothing of neighborhood politics and has no stake in the neighborhood other than a paycheck.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It is if the "citizens" are prepared to accept the civil liability that goes along with it. You pay for it; you own what ever litigation comes of it. That security cop makes a bad call, where do you think the lawyers are headed? It ain't to the security guard's house.
    the security firm would be insured against civil liability. so the risk of a bad call or just plain bad situation/luck would shift from the neighborhood watch to the security firm.
    CanuckQue and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Private security is NOT the police. Private security can not replace the police. Private security for the most part sell the illusion of security.

If a criminal decides that he's going to commit a crime... He's going to do it. The criminal knows there is little if any consiquence from security. IMO the only ways to stop criminal behaviour in the streets is to remove the criminal, and send a strong message that anyone else considering this activity will recieve the same treatment.

A security guard is a non sworn civilian wearing a uniform. A good security guard will be the eye's and ears of the police. A good security guard will stand up as a witness when asked to.

A better suggestion would be that the police be put to better use. Perhaps they could refreain from locking up people with a M/J seed under their seat, and maybe sit still long enough to see who has been breaking into homes. Or perhaps they could not worry so much over traffic violations and patrol crime prone locations more.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Private security is NOT the police. Private security can not replace the police. Private security for the most part sell the illusion of security.

If a criminal decides that he's going to commit a crime... He's going to do it. The criminal knows there is little if any consiquence from security. IMO the only ways to stop criminal behaviour in the streets is to remove the criminal, and send a strong message that anyone else considering this activity will recieve the same treatment.

A security guard is a non sworn civilian wearing a uniform. A good security guard will be the eye's and ears of the police. A good security guard will stand up as a witness when asked to.

A better suggestion would be that the police be put to better use. Perhaps they could refreain from locking up people with a M/J seed under their seat, and maybe sit still long enough to see who has been breaking into homes. Or perhaps they could not worry so much over traffic violations and patrol crime prone locations more.
    Cops catch the perps and the courts set them free.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

No, I don't believe it is.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

It's not a bad idea, but the only real defense against criminals is armed citizens, which ain't going anywhere in Oakland, I'd predict.

What I find grimly amusing about this is that people in the community are against even this milquetoast approach. Unarmed guards with no authority to do anything besides call the police - might lead to racial profiling. Of course. *sigh*
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links