So, you think you don't feel safe in America?

This is a discussion on So, you think you don't feel safe in America? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Many times we have lengthy discussions about what's required for SD with respect to hi capacity and caliber. This is not to argue that either ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: So, you think you don't feel safe in America?

So, you think you don't feel safe in America?

Many times we have lengthy discussions about what's required for SD with respect to hi capacity and caliber. This is not to argue that either way, but to demonstrate the subjectivity or perspective that I have on the issue. As most know, I am quite comfortable with a low round count, 5 , 6 or even 7 round capacity, and sometimes not even a reload.
    You see, I travel abroad to Africa on occasion, and in particular South Africa on hunting trips. My travels lead me into many areas that are hostile , and very, very dangerous. When I am there I carry what I can, knives, pepper spray and expandable baton. The last time I was there, I was the target of a street gang attack, and prevailed, giving my wife and daughter time to escape to the safe area of town where our hotel was.
    Things can go bad there very quickly, and the police are corrupt. Money speaks to them.
    So, while in these places, a 5 shot. 22. Would in fact feel like the " hammer of Thor" literally.

Here is a clip of something one of my friends on Facebook from South Africa sent me that happened Saturday in Jo-burg. It happens all the time in Pretoria, Durbin, and other cities.
    It's why I feel very safe here after being there. Just to share an explanation of my perspective.
    Armed robbery/hijacking in the Jhb CBD today- Sat 16 Nov 2013. Info to Crime Line SMS 32211 - YouTube
    Gearhead and ArmyCop like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by gowie2 View Post
    Sounds like Detroit!
    Not even close Amigo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Sounds like Detroit!
    J-burg and the like make Detroit look like a playground. Same mindset, just less time to develop here. Guatemala City and Managua are couple of other gang run toilets. Hugo Chavez turned Venezuela into a South Africa clone. . Here we can still defend ourselves and for the most part, our coppers may be misinformed on occasion, but thus far nothing as corrupt as a third world "police" force.
    NavyAirdale and ArmyCop like this.

I had a friend from SA visit. The only complaint about my driving that she had was an outburst once about how I was driving her crazy because I pulled "much too close" the the rear bumpers in front of me at red lights.

She went on to say how everybody knew that you left (cant remember what distance she said), but something like two car lengths between you and the car ahead of you when stopped. I, of course responded that NO ONE HERE DOES THAT! She said she noticed, and that it was driving her crazy!

Honestly, at the time I just wrote the whole thing off as some odd thing that "just happens" out of travel stress, or whatever.

As soon as I saw the video glockmann posted, it all clicked with me. The reason she was trained to leave lots of space between cars at stops. To prevent being blocked in and jacked like the people in the video.
    gatorbait51 and RichB70 like this.

As I recall, under the "old system" private citizens were allowed to be armed.

The "new system" extended some basic civil rights to a larger number of people, but took away other rights which had been in place for a long time. Seems like they threw the baby out with the bath water.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Bogota is a terrible place to drive. VERY crowded. If you try to leave any car length a bus or a truck will pull in it and run your butt down . Very close quarters and very few escape routes. A lot of cars, particularly older cars ,have a lot of thumps and bumps on them . The upside is thousands of Sofia Vergaras on mororbikes. In stiletto heeled boots. I think I need a shower...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

The "new system" extended some basic civil rights to a larger number of people, but took away other rights which had been in place for a long time. Seems like they threw the baby out with the bath water.
    All of that was deliberate. The ANC and anyone with higher than a room temperature IQ could see it. They did it because they could and it would make it easier for the thug class to plunder.
    OD* likes this.

I guess the nice cars down J-Burg way don't have locks on the doors? For almost 20 years I've always got the passenger door locked and am trying to get in the habit of having my door locked when out in my truck. Something like this happening is also why I keep at least 10 feet of space between my truck and the rig in front of me when stopped for any reason.

Your life must be pretty exciting. I prefer the less wild side myself.
    gatorbait51 and ccw9mm like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I have a 2011 rav 4. The car in the video appears to be a toyota rav 4, btw. It does NOT lock when you put it in gear. A major safety failure in my book. Especially after you get used to it from other model toyotas you drive.

My wife commented on how there was no excuse for not having locked doors when they all auto lock for you now. I looked at her, a bit stunned. She says "what, the rav 4 doesnt lock when you put it in gear?". Nope. It doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I guess the nice cars down J-Burg way don't have locks on the doors? For almost 20 years I've always got the passenger door locked and am trying to get in the habit of having my door locked when out in my truck. Something like this happening is also why I keep at least 10 feet of space between my truck and the rig in front of me when stopped for any reason.

Your life must be pretty exciting. I prefer the less wild side myself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Yes. A citizen can still own firearms. But the paper work required by the SAP is crazy. Just to bring in a hunting rifle is a headache.
    There are roughly 44 million people in SA. 4 million are white. They are now the minorities, and a small scale genocide is being waged. Dictators like Mugabe in Zimbabwe are fueling the flames of hatred with a message of pay back, and take back what is ours. In Zimbabwe white farmers were forced off their lands, which were productive and fueled the economy, and now lay in waste and ruin. I fear the same will happen in SA.

I get what you are saying. I have seen it first hand in south america. It changes very little my perspective on SD. I do not have a great load out when I leave my home. 15 plus 1 in the gun with a 15 round spare mag year round. I really do not forsee needing more for SD. Gman if you feel safe with your load out, that is great. I will not be unprepared for what in my mind would be the worse case scenario...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Wow, makes me glad I live here at the raisin ranch, FL. I remember the gangs in Chicago took the museum signs an moved them on route 55 so the tourists got off in the wrong neighborhood where they were waiting at the stop sign at the bottom of the exit. They had sledge hammers and would take out both front windows drag everyone out an jack the car. It went on for quite awhile till they made the signs extremely hard to steal.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

South African Car Flamethrower - YouTube this is the cure for these guys
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sounds like Detroit!
    No, it's different. The guys in this video were pretty well orchestrated, like they've had practice. I think they had a clear objective (stealing the vehicle). It looked like the occupants survived and were unharmed.

When this happens in Detroit it is usually a lot more haphazard. The guy with the AK would have immediately shot the driver, then taken his cellphone and tennis shoes. The girl would have been gang-raped, then locked in the trunk and the car would have been set on fire to destroy any evidence. Then DPD would find the smoldering remains around 6am the next morning, and arrest one of the perps later in the day trying to use one of the stolen debit cards at Best Buy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links