Flashlight makes you a target

This is a discussion on Flashlight makes you a target within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a hard time with the flashlight deal. I understand you need to identify the threat but if I was a bad guy ,hiding ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Flashlight makes you a target

I have a hard time with the flashlight deal. I understand you need to identify the threat but if I was a bad guy ,hiding in the dark, and I am desperate to make my get away, the first thing I would do is shoot at the light coming towards me. I am a total rookie so I certainly am not arguing the reason , just trying to understand the approach so I dont make that mistake.

Don't leave it on continuously.

Brief flash to illuminate/identify your target, and then move.
    smoker62, patri0t, Badey and 11 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well now that makes sense. I feel kind of stupid. I watched some youtube vids and see the guys walking around with the light on steady and just thought it sets you up as a bulls eye if Im hiding in your basement.
    gatorbait51 and glockcoma like this.

There are alot of hand held flashlights out now with like 900,000,000,000 Lumens, designed to blind the bad guy when ya shine it at them. One of those might be a viable option.

I may have exaggerated the exact number of Lumens, but there are some very high Lumen lights out there.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

It is generally a good idea to make sure you don't know someone, before you smoke 'em.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    There are alot of hand held flashlights out now with like 900,000,000,000 Lumens, designed to blind the bad guy when ya shine it at them. One of those might be a viable option.

I may have exaggerated the exact number of Lumens, but there are some very high Lumen lights out there.
    And when you hit a white wall, or mirror, or picture with one of those uber-lights, all those lumens come back at you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by smoker62 View Post

I have a hard time with the flashlight deal.
    Pros and cons. You just need to determine whether the benefits outweigh the risks.

Absolutely, lighting up a situation can be a detriment. But if done judiciously and well, and so long as you react well in the situation and don't remain stationary on the "X" (and all the rest of the risky behaviors), I think a strong case can be made that the benefits will (on average) far outweigh the risks.

If seriously concerned, I'd recommend getting some practical, CQB/FoF oriented training related to weapons retention, use of light, etc. Can be very illuminating.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Try the strobe on yourself to test the efect. It may be a good tool to desorientate and confuse. Hey make it a short teset!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    It is generally a good idea to make sure you don't know someone, before you smoke 'em.

My point is that he make smoke you first before your light even finds him.
    gatorbait51 and Sister like this.

I have gun mounted flashlights on my home defense guns. If someone is in my house, I will have my sights and light on that person. If that person becomes a true threat, I want to have full vision of the threat. I also want a 100% confirm that it's not someone that I know (family member getting a turkey leg snack in the middle of the night).

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I get all the pro's of a weapon mounted flashlight... if you are LEO, military or have the same house clearing training they do, go for it. If not and I do not, I have a solution that works better for me. I have 2 lamps with 40 watt bulbs that light our downstairs just enough I do not need a flashlight.

Shine your light and move... maybe, dive over the couch like on TV. Strobe not recommended for the untrained, super bright in a super dark house, the bad guy prob not the only one blinded.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Hopyard and gatorbait51 like this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smoker62 View Post
    My point is that he make smoke you first before your light even finds him.
    If you are afraid that he will aim at and hit the light or very close to it, hold the light at arms length from you and keep it moving to-n-fro, fore-n-aft. :)
    Like the FBI used to train.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    use of light, etc. Can be very illuminating.
    I see what you did there.

On topic: light briefly, then move. The light can surprise/ disorient the BG, giving you more of an edge as far as reaction time is concerned.

It can let him see you coming, but if you are lighting and moving (alternately), he still can't be sure exactly where you are.

I would rather know for sure what my target is, than make a mistake I will regret forever. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51, CJ_mp40c and tdave like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    If you are afraid that he will aim at and hit the light or very close to it, hold the light at arms length from you and keep it moving to-n-fro, fore-n-aft. :)
    Like the FBI used to train.
    I've thought about this, but with as badly as most people shoot under stress, I wonder if I am more likely to be hit if I do this than if the light is directly in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Don't leave it on continuously.

Brief flash to illuminate/identify your target, and then move.
    ^^^ this. Don't keep the light on. Just use it to identify and keep moving. Also keep the flashlight away from you. Takes some practice but it works.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Hopyard and gatorbait51 like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links