Using a Messenger bag for edc items ..

This is a discussion on Using a Messenger bag for edc items .. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is not unheard of and something I am considering, but I am sorta nervous about the thought of carrying something that extensive on my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Using a Messenger bag for edc items ..

Using a Messenger bag for edc items ..

This is not unheard of and something I am considering, but I am sorta nervous about the thought of carrying something that extensive on my person wherever I go, but am feeling the need to do so for some reason... I have just been feeling very uneasy about things lately for some reason I cannot put a finger on.

My main question is, does anyone else here carry a messenger bag, or even shoulder bag or back pack for EDC purposes pretty much all day? Even into the grocery store, walmart, or wherever? I am just curious, as before all of my EDC items fit on my person, between belt and pockets but I am feeling like I need to be carrying much more on me. Like a good 1-2 days of supplies, including food/water/medical supplies etc. Basically like a 48 hr go bag ALWAYS on my shoulder.

Thanks in advance.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

No bag for me...I like all my defensive equipment attached where I can grab it as needed, without looking, quickly...

But that said, if you like the bag idea...whatever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well my plan was to still keep my firearm and knife where they always have been. This bag would be other more indepth survival items.

Do you know something we don't? Zombie Apocalypse? End of the World? Invasion? ... TELL ME!

Why does the Bag full of SHTF items have to be on you? how about a SHTF/bug out bag in the Car 24/7.
    marcclarke and Darrow75 like this.

Well I have a full 7 day go bag in the trunk 24/7 but it occured to me, what if something happens while you are in the mall or a store or something and it is impossible to even get to your car? That is my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    Well I have a full 7 day go bag in the trunk 24/7 but it occured to me, what if something happens while you are in the mall or a store or something and it is impossible to even get to your car? That is my thinking.
    If anything happens you have your gun and knife... a bag full of survival gear wouldn't help much enough to carry it all the time. Besides.. if you were stuck in a mall you should have enough things at your disposal anyway lol.

what would you carry in this bag that makes you think you would need it if something went down? and you would need it ASAP.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    ninja skills can be carried with no extra weight or bulk.

joking aside i carried quick clot, compression band aid and burn gel in my school bag when i was in collage and since i was in the auto tech program we were actually required to have a pocket knife with us. one of our instructors was "very disappointed" one day in lab when he found that no one had a knife handy and added it to the required item list for attending class.

the instructor gave out folding knives as a reward for having the top score in the final. we were required to have our own tools, we brought to class big wrenches and hammers, 3ft pry bars and breaker bars, blow torches and hacksaws. little pocket knives were of no concern.

almost every instructor and lab technician had a CHL and the few that didn't was because they did not trust the goverment and did not want to be in a list, probably the most pro gun professors i ever met.

we were talking about guns in class one day and the professor came over and asked us if we were talking about guns in school. we thought he was gonna shut the conversation down but instead he started to talk to us about all the guns he had and then asked us where to find ammo.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_CBRN View Post
    what would you carry in this bag that makes you think you would need it if something went down? and you would need it ASAP.
    armor plate cut to fit the messenger bag.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Welll I used the mall just as an example, you could be almost anywhere. Possibly end up trapped if a quake or something natural happens - or find my car destroyed or unreachable to get to those supplies. It would just be good to have "some" supplies - even if it is just 1-2 days of a little food and water and medical supplies.

VIP Member
    First of all it is great to be prepared , but to carry around a survival bag on your person seems a bit extreme . Skills you already have should keep you alive to get to your car or home also it may require you to stay in place until coast is clear .

And if i need to do all that stuff the good Lord can come and get me now . Just saying
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    In all honesty people get a little silly with the "get home" bags. What you need the most in that situation is a solid pair of shoes, a change of socks, and some water. You can do without shelter, fire, or food for 24-48 hours in a get home situation. So if you're looking strictly to have those types of supplies on you, then you can likely go without and rely on what is in the car. If the car isn't there you should be fine for a short trip home. If your trip runs longer than you could walk in a couple of days you'd need more stuff, but probably more than you're looking at stuffing into a messenger bag.

That said, I see some great things to carry with you that would require a bag. A top notch first aid kit, some extra magazines, a light jacket/poncho, hand sanitizer, latex gloves, work gloves, an extra pair of socks, and maybe a water filter and bottle would be good items to have with you, just in case.

I would caution you to ensure that you don't have something in the bag that someone could think you stole from the store you're in. If you have food and you're in Walmart I'd make sure that it wasn't in original packages and that it is clear that you didn't just shove it in there while you were shopping. Water bottles that show some wear, clothing items that are worn or not sold in a store you frequent would be a good idea, etc.
    suntzu, TX expat, mprp and 1 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

That's a good idea on how to store things if in stores that may sell those items

I prefer to have my pistol on my person. If the time comes where I need to use it, I don't want to be fumbling with zippers, clasps, etc.
    That having been said, if it's a matter of carry vs. leave at home, then carry as you see fit.
    "By any means necessary."

I keep a 5.11 bag with a few trauma supplies in it... quik clot, OLAES bandage, tourniquet. It's got a few other odds and ends but it goes out of the house with me. It generally sits in the truck, though. If I'm in a crowd at an event, I'll carry it.
    marcclarke and voodoo304 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links