How do you carry your weapon into mexico?

This is a discussion on How do you carry your weapon into mexico? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've heard that you can bring your weapon but specific calibers are banned. Just wondering...I'm thinking about going there on vacay when I have time ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: How do you carry your weapon into mexico?

I've heard that you can bring your weapon but specific calibers are banned. Just wondering...I'm thinking about going there on vacay when I have time for about a week. Thanks all!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Do NOT carry a weapon into Mexico!

That
    is a good way to end up in a cold dark cell with 87 of your closest friends eyeing the fresh meat American style. They really like fresh Iowans.

If you do not have a death wish, I repeat, do NOT try to carry a weapon into Mexico.

No knives, blades, box cutters, guns, anything. You do NOT have enough money to buy your way out of that pickle.

Mexico is as corrupt as any place in the world, other than Washington DC, so even if it is not strictly against the law, do not take the risk.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    I would carry American Style

Also i agree with R&G do not carry in Mexico but maybe you mean New Mexico ???
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Unless you mean Mexico Maine,i wouldn't even try it.
    gatorbait51 and Kasey88 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    I've heard that you can bring your weapon but specific calibers are banned. Just wondering...I'm thinking about going there on vacay when I have time for about a week. Thanks all!
    You have to be a resident alien operating a home or business, do a lot of paperwork, and pay some hefty fees, just to have it in your home. The Mexican Constitution makes a strong distinction between "keep" and "bear" arms. Just because you can do one does not mean you can do the other. Carrying it in public is very difficult.

A tourist carrying in public is not legal.
    gatorbait51 and nechaev like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

You change your name to Eric Holder
    The Police arrive just in time to draw chalk outlines

It's up to You to make sure the outline isn't around Your body

Easy just trade in the pancake holster for a Taco holster

VIP Member
    You don't.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The only caliber legal is 38 super or below there is only one legal gun store in the the entire country and you need a but loads of paper work to even own a gun and you have to be famous to carry one. So no dont carry any weapon at all into mexcio unless you are dern sure you have the right paperwork... and a good friend at the embassy

"Taking firearms into Mexico

In regards to bringing firearms to Mexico, Title III, Chapter III, Article 55 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:

(translated) Weapons, objects and materials refereed in this law imported under ordinary or extraordinary permits, must be destined precisely to the use stated in given permits. Any modification, change or transformation different to the stated purpose, requires a new permit.[34]

Additionally, Title III, Chapter III, Article 59 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:

(translated) Temporary import and export of firearms and ammunition for hunting and shooting sport tourists, must be vested by the appropriate extraordinary permit, which shall indicate the conditions that must be met in accordance to the regulation of this law.[35]

Under these articles, those who intend to engage in hunting and shooting sport activities in Mexico, must first obtain the required temporary import permit from the Secretariat of National Defense prior to traveling to Mexico.

Similarly, it is possible for Mexican citizens who reside in Mexico and foreign legal residents of Mexico (FM2 holders) to import a firearm into Mexico for their security and legitimate defense, under the types and calibers permitted for home defense and after receiving the appropriate import permit from the Secretariat of National Defense. Whoever intends to import a firearm to Mexico must be able to legally acquire the firearm outside of the country. For example, a US citizen who lawfully resides in Mexico as a FM2 holder or who holds dual nationality could purchase a firearm in the United States and request permission to import the weapon to Mexico. Since the person is eligible to legally purchase a firearm in the United States and he or she is eligible to reside in Mexico, they could be allowed to import the weapon.

WARNING: Do not attempt to take any firearm into Mexico even if the weapon is lawfully registered in your name in the United States (or any other country of residence) and even when the weapon falls under the types and calibers permitted for civilian ownership in Mexico. Unless the bearer has explicit authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense, it is illegal and punishable by law to enter Mexican territory with any firearm as well as to keep and carry any firearm on your person or vehicle at any time, anywhere. These permits cannot be obtained at Mexican customs and immigration when entering Mexico. They must be obtained in advance and in possession of the bearer before any gun enters Mexico. Once entering Mexico with a gun without previous authorization from the Mexican government, a crime has been committed.[36]

The US Department of State warns US citizens [and all persons regardless of citizenship] against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm, or even a single round of ammunition, carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into the country unintentionally.[37]"

Well, nvm, not going to that third world craphole...thanks for the info guys. I'll spend my money in Texas I think. You guys are awesome.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It used to be that you could arrange to take in a rifle or shotgun if you were going to one of the private game reserves for guided hunting but it was a mountain of paperwork at both ends and even back then it was easier just to rent a gun from the guide for the duration. Handguns in military calibers were forbidden to average citizens. God only knows what the rules are now.

Check withe the Mexican consulate for the official word, but I too would advise against even trying.
    gatorbait51 and american23 like this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    With both hands, at the ready and in the low position?

No seriously, I was in the MPs at Ft. Bliss (El Paso, TX) and one of our MPs was chasing a guy off post for a felony stop.

In accordance with regulations, he had pursued him off post and was in pursuit with the El Paso PD. When they approached the border, EPPD called off the chase and our MP continued across the border. They let the perp go but stopped him. He was charged with Armed Invasion Of Mexico and immediately transported to Mexico City. It took about 2 months and the involvement of the American Consul to get him back . We never got his gun, badge, uniform or patrol car. They kept all those as souveniers.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

You don't even want an empty rimfire case anywhere in your vehicle or on your person when crossing into Mexico... that'll ruin a perfectly good week.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Mexico frees ex-Marine jailed for bringing in gun - CBS News

Go ahead....it will help extend your "vacation" time in Mexico.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    With both hands, at the ready and in the low position?

No seriously, I was in the MPs at Ft. Bliss (El Paso, TX) and one of our MPs was chasing a guy off post for a felony stop.

In accordance with regulations, he had pursued him off post and was in pursuit with the El Paso PD. When they approached the border, EPPD called off the chase and our MP continued across the border. They let the perp go but stopped him. He was charged with Armed Invasion Of Mexico and immediately transported to Mexico City. It took about 2 months and the involvement of the American Consul to get him back . We never got his gun, badge, uniform or patrol car. They kept all those as souveniers.
    A lot has changed since Col. Charlie Askins watched over the border - and generally not for the better.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links