Relative almost murdered by two thugs

This is a discussion on Relative almost murdered by two thugs within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This story is true, it happened to a relative of mine last month. At about 10pm my relative is sitting on his couch on his ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Relative almost murdered by two thugs

Relative almost murdered by two thugs

This story is true, it happened to a relative of mine last month.

At about 10pm my relative is sitting on his couch on his laptop when two black males appear at his sliding glass door with handguns pointed at him. From what I understand, he was only a few feet from the door. They told him to open the door or they would kill him. He complied and was immediately taken to their car and put in the trunk. They took him to a local bank and had him withdraw all of his money. The entire time he had a bag over his head and his legs and arms tied. They then brought him to a field and he says that one of the two guys asked to execute him in the field while the other one told him not to because it wasn't worth it. He was then left in the field tied up and eventually realized they had left after they saw police cars. The two thugs were caught the next day and my relative is extremely lucky to be alive.

This has made me really re-think home defense in particular. Everyone here has a firearm that is likely in a safe in their room. What if two guys walk up on you at your door? It's really a tough call of whether you should comply at that point, or run to your weapon, or better yet have your weapon within close reach for this sort of scenario. Carrying on your person at home seems like a real hassle and essentially eliminates the possibility of ever wearing pajamas, or any attire other than shorts/pants with a belt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Definitely food for thought and you are correct about having a gun handy, if not on your person.

However, it will be a cold day before I will voluntarily submit to their demands when I have even the hope of getting to a way to defend myself. If they are going to kill me, I WILL go down swinging.
    Last edited by jwarren; December 4th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

VIP Member
    Glad your relative survived, I was a juror in a double murder trial that started in a similar fashion but did not end so well. At home just keeping a weapon within easy reach is better than not having one at all.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very glad to hear he's okay. That was a very, very dangerous situation.

There are important lessons to be learned here. I'll leave the details to the experts, but it's definitely better to avoid sitting in an exposed location like next to a glass door, especially if it's darker outside than in the house - can't see trouble coming.

And personally, I always carry in the house.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    never was a fan of sliding glass doors or any other large windows at floor level for that reason.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Very happy he's safe and the ####### were caught so quickly!
    As for me well, my BIL (who was in the Rangers at the time) came over once, nodded at the 1911 .45 on the end table beside my chair and said "You're not a very trusting individual, are you?". Now, it's either in the cushion beside me or it's on my person.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

What if two guys walk up on you at your door?
    Every time I've lived in a house with a sliding glass door, it was always locked on the door handle and also with a piece of wood in the tract. In your relative's position (sitting on the couch), I'd still be wearing my gun, so I'd imagine things would go quite differently if I were to see two strange men outside my door...

I will not be moved from one location to another, no matter what. I'd take my chances fighting off the attack, even if I'm unarmed. If you allow yourself to be be moved to a second location, any odds you might have had in your favor go right out the window.

Glad your relative it is alright, things could have been a lot worse. This is one of the reasons why if I'm awake, I'm wearing my gun.
    Ghost1958, niks, 10thmtn and 5 others like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    This has made me really re-think home defense in particular. Everyone here has a firearm that is likely in a safe in their room. What if two guys walk up on you at your door? It's really a tough call of whether you should comply at that point, or run to your weapon, or better yet have your weapon within close reach for this sort of scenario.

Short of complete and utter altering of lifestyle to avoid every pitfall and risk, there are some basic changes in procedure and home layout that one can do to reduce risks to a tolerable level (IMO).

• Be armed at all times, or at minimum have appropriate weaponry within easy reach. (PJ's or not.)

• Have doors/windows (and framing) that are effectively barred, blocked from violent entry.

• Have clear line of sight through the house blocked either via window coverings and/or lighting.

• Do not be fooling around with the "head down" (buried in a computer, iPad, whatever) just feet from a first-floor window or door, certainly not when anyone outside can clearly see the opportunity and risk of the situation (from a home invader's standpoint).

• Have outside motion lighting and early warning mechanisms, to know when folks are rooting around nearby. Have the security lighting such that it blinds nighttime arrivals while shielding those inside from being seen.

• Have an AWD early warning system in and around the property (ie, a dog or dogs).

• Make close approach to first-floor windows more difficult, via effective use of thorny bushes or similar. Have liberal use of crunchy/noisy gravel in the areas near first-floor windows and walkways.

• Have a house alarm that has a silent/emergency setting, as well as a panic/emergency feature. Ensure these can be quickly activated. Ensure these can notify the cavalry without having to screw with a long 911 call and likely delays of making such calls.

Not suitable for each and every home layout and person, of course, but these sorts of steps can help provide crucial additional time to react. Sure beats being surprised from 3ft away with two guns in the face. And none of these steps need turn one's lifestyle on its head. Do as few or many as make sense with your own budget, layout and desire to boost the warning time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What does ####### mean? Anyways, i carry at home.... Even when I shower it's close by. Right now I'm on the toilet and it's within reach. Can you imagine getting robbed while dropping a deuce..... And not even getting the chance to finish?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    rahmann62 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post

I will not be moved from one location to another, no matter what. I'd take my chances fighting off the attack, even if I'm unarmed. If you allow yourself to be be moved to a second location,
    Good luck with that...against 2 armed intruders.

any odds you might have had in your favor go right out the window
    What odds do you have when unarmed and facing 2 armed intruders?

Even if armed, it is accepted by most that moving is one of the most important things for you to do in defense of an attack.
    gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.

Lance Thomas can show you the way

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'm with Blitzburgh. From your "good luck with that" it's obvious you don't agree but I would stand up as if I was coming to the door and then bolt for my nearest gun. If they get me through the glass while I'm running, well, they win. I like my odds of them hitting me as I run over my odds of going to a second location with them in charge. ALWAYS! Second locations are where the REALLY bad stuff often happens. Never let them take you to another place. NEVER! I hope that is clear. If I'm stupid enough not to lock the doors in the parking lot as I sit there starting the car and an armed thug jumps in the car I'm bailing out the other side. He may or may not elect to draw tons of attention to us by shooting. If he gets me somewhere alone, well crap, shame on me. I'll take my chances on getting a new scar or worse. Beats the alternative.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Being armed at home isnt that hard. Once in for the night if I want to put on sweats or whatever I have a cheap light shoulder rig that I sling on. You could sit around naked but me doing that would likely scare of the BGs to start with.

Lets see I am armed with a full size pistol all the time home or out unless Im in bed its on me. Id have opened the glass door for em. Just not the way they expected.

Your relative just survived a toss of the coin so speak. One Bg for execution in a field, the other not for it. 50/50. Just glad the killer BG listened to the other BG instead of offing your relative anyway.

Im in the camp that I will not be taken a hostage or put in a car etc. Im armed always. You want to kill me youll first have to succeed in doing it. And if you do youll do it on the spot, not at your convenience in a cornfield someplace like killing a groundhog.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    SCARY. Thank goodness I have Mr. Kalashnikov.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Glad your relative is OK. Keep dogs have access to weapons and a plan to survive.
    BenGoodLuck and oneshot like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links