Confronted a prowler this morning

This is a discussion on Confronted a prowler this morning within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had just pulled out of my driveway ,going to work ..when I saw a man standing in my neighbors driveway this AM... It was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Confronted a prowler this morning

Confronted a prowler this morning

I had just pulled out of my driveway ,going to work ..when I saw a man standing in my neighbors driveway this AM... It was just turning daylight ..at first glance I thought it was my neighbor as I drove by ..but I noticed his truck and his wife's car was gone . I then stopped in the road and quickly backed my car up ..The stranger started to walk briskly beside there house..and after I exited my car and yelled out "Hey can I help you " he started to run ..I then ran out in my field that separates our homes..this took him by surprise and he then started to sprint ..I was totally unarmed .being that I was on my way to work...I didn't even grab my mini bat (tire checker ) ..
    I called my neighbor at his work place when I got to work..told him about it...he thanked me and told me he was going home to check it out....

I done a few dumb things looking back over the situation..
    #1 I got out of my car
    #2 I'm recovering from a serious illness
    #3 I have a horrible back ,can barely hobble and was totally unarmed..theres no way I could have defended myself from this fellow ..he out weighed me by at least 45 to 50 lbs. he was a good 5 inches taller than me and about 20 to 25 yrs younger than me..

But he ran ..he knew me .."I'm the guy that packs" thats out in the neighborhood....so I'll see him again ..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

If he "knew you" you know him....

Why does your neighborhood know "you're the guy that packs?"

Your firearm is not your primary weapon, unless it is drawn, and on target.

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

In the wonderful State of TN ..you can open carry or conceal carry...if I'm outside doing yard work...I carry open..if I run to the nearby market ..I maybe carrying open or concealed..my call... I really don't care if my gun is in sight or not....I follow the TN laws on going heeled...

If he "knew you" you know him.... nope ... not really ....He saw my car ..he saw me leave my house....he wasn't driving a car ..or at least not when I saw him...and he was not at his home but at my neighbors home....

'Your firearm is not your primary weapon, unless it is drawn, and on target' Interesting statement...and I agree...
    dangerranger likes this.

Sounds like an unsafe decision in hindsight, but you know what they say about hindsight. ;) I think confronting the man, especially unarmed, was the biggest mistake. Personally, I would've called 911 with a description, but other than that leave it be. Always a lesson to be learned with every situation.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."- George Washington

If he instantly skedaddled, the situation was exactly like it appeared. Good job, on being aware of surroundings.

Agree with the above sentiment of confronting while unarmed isn't that smart. Could easily have instead been a violent felon fully prepared to resist your attentions, and you'd have had zero recourse to effectively withstand that. Very dangerous, potentially.

I'd have called 911 to report a clearly imminent burglary/invasion going on. They'd almost certainly have nabbed him, and you'd have been safer while unarmed and still mobile.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Was he wearing a hoodie?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If he instantly skedaddled, the situation was exactly like it appeared. Good job, on being aware of surroundings.

Agree with the above sentiment of confronting while unarmed isn't that smart. Could easily have instead been a violent felon fully prepared to resist your attentions, and you'd have had zero recourse to effectively withstand that. Very dangerous, potentially.

I'd have called 911 to report a clearly imminent burglary/invasion going on. They'd almost certainly have nabbed him, and you'd have been safer while unarmed and still mobile.
    I agree with this sentiment. The way I would have handled it while being unarmed was to do everything the OP did with the exception of pursue the guy. My measure would have been, as I exited the car I would have made sure the guy witnessed me pulling my cell phone out as I started to head in his direction. Once that was accomplished, I would stop and attend the call. That in and of itself should have sent the guy on his way knowing 911 was the intended connection. Yeah, no means for defense, best not to pursue IMO; not to mention the GZ fiasco that may follow such a tactic armed or not.

to the OP. Would love to have a few neighbors like yourself around my home and family.
    phreddy, farronwolf and lchamp like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I agree with all the above posts, but would like to emphasize the calling 911. Cops could (maybe) have picked him up and grilled him, based upon your complaint. Chances are good that he has done this before, and will do it again unless caught, tried and convicted.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Armed or unarmed I'm not chasing down anyone, I'm not the police. Weather you had a gun or not, what was your intention/plan once you "caught" him??

I'd say your lucky he just ran. Good job looking out for your neighbors and calling 911 though.
    Ksgunner and ep1953 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Glad everything turned out OK. Yes you have been critiqued but I think neighbors looking out for neighbors stops a lot of little things from becoming big things. Good job and move forward.
    hogdaddy likes this.

Good to have neighbors like yourself.

I most likely would have done things similar to what you did. However, I essentially never go unarmed, but based on your circumstances I understand your position, and I don't have back or health issues.

I think if more people looked out for each other in their neighborhoods criminals wouldn't enjoy their profession as much. Sure the cops have a job to do, but the BG could have been long gone before they arrived. If it took 5 minutes or so for them to get there, he could have been a mile or more from the area. Not much chance in the cops catching him in this case.

Hopefully this guy will realize that you all look out for one another and will target a different area in the future.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I had just pulled out of my driveway ,going to work ..when I saw a man standing in my neighbors driveway this AM... It was just turning daylight ..at first glance I thought it was my neighbor as I drove by ..but I noticed his truck and his wife's car was gone . I then stopped in the road and quickly backed my car up ..The stranger started to walk briskly beside there house..and after I exited my car and yelled out "Hey can I help you " he started to run ..I then ran out in my field that separates our homes..this took him by surprise and he then started to sprint ..I was totally unarmed .being that I was on my way to work...I didn't even grab my mini bat (tire checker ) ..
    I called my neighbor at his work place when I got to work..told him about it...he thanked me and told me he was going home to check it out....

I done a few dumb things looking back over the situation..
    #1 I got out of my car
    #2 I'm recovering from a serious illness
    #3 I have a horrible back ,can barely hobble and was totally unarmed..theres no way I could have defended myself from this fellow ..he out weighed me by at least 45 to 50 lbs. he was a good 5 inches taller than me and about 20 to 25 yrs younger than me..

But he ran ..he knew me .."I'm the guy that packs" thats out in the neighborhood....so I'll see him again ..
    Happily, your rear end didn't have to go into check-cashing mode. Sometimes bravado and bluster are every bit as effective as sound tactics. I'm glad it worked out OK for you.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Happily, your rear end didn't have to go into check-cashing mode. Sometimes bravado and bluster are every bit as effective as sound tactics. I'm glad it worked out OK for you.
    I'll second Mike's assessment, but good on you anyway. We are who we are.
    phreddy and scgunlover1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    When pulling out your phone, did you think to take his picture? One of the key things those that are up to no good hate is being identifiable..
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Glad it turned out ok. You most likely prevented a burglary by scaring him away. You didn't say it, but i hope you made a police report. Even if it was too late to catch him the patrols could have been increased in the area. You're a good neighbor.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links