Air travel carry-on bag items

This is a discussion on Air travel carry-on bag items within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, got some questions/comments about air travel and "carry-on bags"; didn't find anything with the search function on this in this section... I just got ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Air travel carry-on bag items

OK, got some questions/comments about air travel and "carry-on bags"; didn't find anything with the search function on this in this section...

I just got back from two weeks in warm, pleasant Mexico (I know I'm rubbing it in, heh heh...), and as most of you know, Mexico has some very strict laws against private ownership of guns, especially pistols of over "military" caliber (9mm, .45ACP, etc). But I am able to put some "weapons" into my carry-on bag, as you'll see in the list below.

(Side note: we were talking about this to our cab driver there, who we've known for three years now, and he said he could easily purchase almost any kind of gun there "on the street", and even offered to help us do that; another example of strict gun control laws only being effective on those who choose to follow them).

Anyway, I was noticing many people with HUGE carry-on bags on the plane, and got to wondering what other people put in their carry-on luggage...I always kind of equate it to the "bug-out bag" concept. I normally carry everything I would need for emergencies, and it fits in a small (16x12x7), schoolkid-type backpack that fits under the seat in front of me while still allowing footroom in that area:

- digital camera
    - phone
    - flashlight
    - combo toilet kit/first aid kit (prescriptions, ibuprofen, pepto bismol, benedryl, bandaids, gauze pads, first aid tape, antiseptic cream, eye drops, toothbrush/toothpaste, water purification tabs, nail clippers, etc.)
    - water (purchased after going thru "security checkpoint" of course)
    - sound canceling headphones
    - earplugs
    - eye mask/sleep mask
    - sunglasses
    - hat
    - paperback book
    - ipad & charger
    - several sizes of ziplock bags
    - large trash bag
    - pkg of small zipties
    - cd/dvd (break in half for improvised slashing weapon)
    - several sharpie markers
    - three sharpened #2 pencils bound together by rubber band (stabbing weapon)
    - hand wipes
    - yellow writing pad & pens
    - snacks/lunch
    - bandanna
    - sunscreen & bug repellant
    - thin leather gloves
    - one pair each of socks & underwear
    - light overshirt
    - small flint & steel
    - extra batteries

(For those of you traveling with children, especially infants, I realize that your carry-on would have LOTS of child/infant related stuff; you have my sympathy!)

I'd have other things in the bag if it wasn't for the air travel restrictions on certain items, but I'm wondering what other people here have in their "carry-on luggage" for air travel.

Clothes, toiletries, and usually my phone charger. That about sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by kriller1217 View Post
    Clothes, toiletries, and usually my phone charger. That about sums it up.
    Well, you're certainly not one of those people with the GIANT carry-on!

jcm
    Just got back from Cozumel Mexico last weekend. In my backpack was the following: prescription scuba mask, regulator, snorkel, swim trunks (hey, if everything else gets lost, at least I can get in the water!), spare eyeglasses, wallet, passport, phone and charger, ear buds, 3 issues of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER (one 15 years old, another 10 years old and most recent. You will either have a nice conversation with the passenger next to you or they'll leave you alone the entire flight!), snacks, spare batteries for dive lights (be sure to put those in CHECKED when you go home. A friend had all his VERY expensive rechargeable computer and dive-light batteries confiscated at the security checkpoint!)

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    Anyway, I was noticing many people with HUGE carry-on bags on the plane, and got to wondering what other people put in their carry-on luggage.

For me, usually:

• Basic change of clothing, plus a suitable rain/wind coat for crummy weather.
    • Medicines, aspirin, mini first-aid kit.
    • Light.
    • Some spare cash.
    • Water.
    • Earplugs.
    • Spare batteries, for cell phone, camera, whatever; plus charger.
    • Copy of ticket, phone/info for contacts, other copies/papers.
    • Basic map of destination.
    • Plus knife/tools and other suitable additions (ie, bug spray, whatever), at destination.

All in a smaller bag with shoulder strap or on belly band for easy carrying.

Makes for a fairly easy to carry bag. Isn't a lot, but it'll get me going again, hopefully. Not exactly designed to be a survival-grade bag of things, in my case. Contents augmented if I'm heading "into the wilds" upon arriving at the destination and won't be stopping anyplace immediately upon arrival. Have done this basic combo to foreign countries, to other states, for week-long sojourns. Allows for basic recovery in simple emergency, or due to simple theft of my things, as well as getting to my contacts or getting new cash/documents.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm View Post
    3 issues of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER (one 15 years old, another 10 years old and most recent. You will either have a nice conversation with the passenger next to you or they'll leave you alone the entire flight!), snacks, spare batteries for dive lights (be sure to put those in CHECKED when you go home. A friend had all his VERY expensive rechargeable computer and dive-light batteries confiscated at the security checkpoint!)
    I REALLY like the AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine idea...either a nice conversation with seatmate, or they leave you alone...great!

Why did the dive-light batteries get confiscated? Are they on the prohibited list?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For me, usually:

• Light.
    • Some spare cash.
    • Water.
    • Earplugs.
    • Plus knife/tools and other suitable additions (ie, bug spray, whatever), at destination.

Makes for a fairly easy to carry bag. Isn't a lot, but it'll get me going again, hopefully. Not exactly designed to be a survival-grade bag of things, in my case. Contents augmented if I'm heading "into the wilds" upon arriving at the destination and won't be stopping anyplace immediately upon arrival. Have done this basic combo to foreign countries, to other states, for week-long sojourns. Allows for basic recovery in simple emergency, or due to simple theft of my things, as well as getting to my contacts or getting new cash/documents.
    "Allows for basic recovery in simple emergency, or due to simple theft of my things, as well as getting to my contacts or getting new cash/documents."
    Yup, that's my concept too, although I really enjoy having a paperback novel & my ipad to make the flight go by faster. I've got maybe 20 survival-oriented ebooks stored on my ipad, as well as several dozen other fiction ebooks.

I've recently started wearing cargo pants on flights; that makes it easy to carry passports, boarding passes, itinerary and other important docs in the cargo pockets, and I can put my wallet into the cargo pocket while on the flight as well, so I don't get that numb feeling from "wallet butt syndrome".
    squid86 and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ditty bag, meds, one change of clothes in case I'm stranded somewhere. Oh, the CPAP. The rest goes in checked baggage.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    when traveling i carry a standard backpack with stuff for my wife and daughter. always have:
    - one full change of clothes for entire family (each in there own ziploc bag, trick i learned in scouts to save space and make waterproof ;))
    - 3 bottles of water (after checkpoint)
    - snacks (usually trailmix, rice crispy treats and fruit gummies)
    - portable DVD player (with movies for the little one)
    - headphones
    - map of where we going
    - 2 pens
    - memo pad
    - small firs aid kit
    - 1 large ziploc bag
    - 2 sandwich size ziploc bags
    - drawsting backpack folded up

i feel like there is more but cant think of it right now. wife carries her purse with a few things too.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

When traveling for business I have a backpack that carries my work laptop and accessories, plus the items listed below. When traveling for pleasure, I keep it light (I generally check my main suitcase) and carry these items in a Blackhawk Tactical Murse:

- iPhone and iPad Mini with charging cables and a set of earbuds (after market noise cancelling)
    - Back-up charger
    - Small FAK with the basics
    - Ear plugs
    - Inflatable neck pillow
    - Small trauma shears
    - Mini hand sanitizer
    - 5.11 1 AA flashlight
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Flying last week, my giant bag was mostly full of crap to keep my two year old entertained during the flight.

OK, got some questions/comments about air travel and "carry-on bags"; didn't find anything with the search function on this in this section...

I just got back from two weeks in warm, pleasant Mexico (I know I'm rubbing it in, heh heh...), and as most of you know, Mexico has some very strict laws against private ownership of guns, especially pistols of over "military" caliber (9mm, .45ACP, etc). But I am able to put some "weapons" into my carry-on bag, as you'll see in the list below.

(Side note: we were talking about this to our cab driver there, who we've known for three years now, and he said he could easily purchase almost any kind of gun there "on the street", and even offered to help us do that; another example of strict gun control laws only being effective on those who choose to follow them).

Anyway, I was noticing many people with HUGE carry-on bags on the plane, and got to wondering what other people put in their carry-on luggage...I always kind of equate it to the "bug-out bag" concept. I normally carry everything I would need for emergencies, and it fits in a small (16x12x7), schoolkid-type backpack that fits under the seat in front of me while still allowing footroom in that area:

- digital camera
    - phone
    - flashlight
    - combo toilet kit/first aid kit (prescriptions, ibuprofen, pepto bismol, benedryl, bandaids, gauze pads, first aid tape, antiseptic cream, eye drops, toothbrush/toothpaste, water purification tabs, nail clippers, etc.)
    - water (purchased after going thru "security checkpoint" of course)
    - sound canceling headphones
    - earplugs
    - eye mask/sleep mask
    - sunglasses
    - hat
    - paperback book
    - ipad & charger
    - several sizes of ziplock bags
    - large trash bag
    - pkg of small zipties
    - cd/dvd (break in half for improvised slashing weapon)
    - several sharpie markers
    - three sharpened #2 pencils bound together by rubber band (stabbing weapon)
    - hand wipes
    - yellow writing pad & pens
    - snacks/lunch
    - bandanna
    - sunscreen & bug repellant
    - thin leather gloves
    - one pair each of socks & underwear
    - light overshirt
    - small flint & steel
    - extra batteries

(For those of you traveling with children, especially infants, I realize that your carry-on would have LOTS of child/infant related stuff; you have my sympathy!)

I'd have other things in the bag if it wasn't for the air travel restrictions on certain items, but I'm wondering what other people here have in their "carry-on luggage" for air travel.
    if you have an ipad you don't need a paperback book, or yellow pads. If you have a smartphone you don't need a flashlight. I could probably pare the list down more, but it'd be nitpicking. The paperback, yellow pads and flashlight would be your greatest weight items.

jcm
    I REALLY like the AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine idea...either a nice conversation with seatmate, or they leave you alone...great!

Why did the dive-light batteries get confiscated? Are they on the prohibited list?
    Mexico and USA rules don't always read the same. US has no problem with spare batteries in carry-on. The opposite is true for Mexico. Nothing special about the batteries, other than being very expensive rechargeables. It is posted right at the counter upon check in. "NO BATTERIES OF ANY KIND ALLOWED IN CARRY-ON". Of course I researched this kind of thing before leaving the states. Not everyone tries to be prepared ;) Always a good idea to check the TSA website before traveling as everything on there is written in pencil and seems to change weekly.
    Oh crap. On their list again....

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For me, usually:

• Light.
    • Some spare cash.
    • Water.
    • Earplugs.

You carry a knife in your carry on luggage? Didn't think that was possible.

Distinguished Member
    Underwater camera housing, camera (see avatar) , spare mask (dive). Cpap and meds, 2 books. Dive knife in checked luggage. I already knew how Mexico feels about batteries - and anything else they think they can grab, er, comfiscate

Nearly all my international travel involves SCUBA. Otherwise the housing and spare mask stay home and everything else remains the same. Some dives carry pretty substantial knives in their checked luggage. I'm one of them. 1 big one & 1 little one. There are no scuba police. Those knives travel the world with me. But on land I'm unarmed.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links