Drunk(?) neighbor rattling fence, harassing dog

This is a discussion on Drunk(?) neighbor rattling fence, harassing dog within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few months ago we were out on a date, with our au pair watching the kids. When we got home she reported to us ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Drunk(?) neighbor rattling fence, harassing dog

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Drunk(?) neighbor rattling fence, harassing dog

A few months ago we were out on a date, with our au pair watching the kids. When we got home she reported to us that a man had been harassing the dog and yelling at it, and that when she confronted him he spoke to her first in Spanish (she is Bolivian and it's her first language) and then in English, but she couldn't really make out what he was saying in either language, and then he left. I was quite worried at the time and checked the ~.5 acre fenced backyard with SD AR-15 in hand in the dark.

Today, the dog went crazy in the backyard and our au pair saw the same guy again. I took the opportunity in broad daylight (around 10AM) to go out and talk to him. My sidearm was concealed in its usual place on my hip, under a heavy sweater. I waited quietly behind our privacy fence for a moment and heard him rattling the chain-link where we have a path for the arroyo and yelling at the dog, confirming he was still doing it. When he came to the chainlink gate, I took the opportunity to talk to him. Apparently he's a neighbor, and I got his first name, but I wasn't able to make out much of the rest of what he said. He seemed intoxicated, based on his appearance and slurred speech, most likely drunk, which is a huge problem around here. He complained about my dog barking at him, to which I replied that if he didn't harass her she wouldn't bark at him so much. Considering that walking the 1/4 mile down the street to the post office I get barked at, if not outright assaulted, by at least 10 dogs, it's not like our dog is an outlier. She's well-contained by the backyard fence.

My wife was thinking that he may be breaking some laws with this activity (harassment, drunk and disorderly conduct, etc) and that we should figure out which and perhaps gently remind him of that if we catch him at it again. We are contemplating calling the police and letting them know there've been repeated incidents so that there's a record if it escalates. Aside from general vigilance, does anyone have suggestions on how we should handle this? I'd hate to call the police and be a pest considering he's not doing any real harm at the moment.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

id call the police next time you see him.. he will get in trouble for being intoxicated in public
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

I had to look up "au pair", interesting.

The guys behavior is indeed very strange and doesn't sound like the way a sane/sober person would behave. Is he a new neighbor or did this just start happening out of nowhere? I'm just guessing here, but far as charges go the only things I could think of would be public intoxication and disorderly conduct. I'm not sure what else you could do to end this besides either a) having a talk with him; one where you make it a point to understand what he's saying and what's up and that he understands you and what your issue is with him or b) just letting the cops do so the next time he comes back. I'd use the non-emergency number.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Thats a tough call. I come down on the side of contacting the police, and asking about the guy. I dont mean call up and demand that he be arrested, but letting them know whats gone on, and the guys name.

Chances are that guy is a "frequent flyer", and is well known to the authorities. They can quickly let you know if hes a real threat, or more like "Otis the town drunk".

If hes not a threat, he might actually come in handy keeping an eye on the neighborhood, in his drunken wanderings. He would also probably appreciate making a few extra bucks for odd jobs, or whatnot. That can create some good will, sometimes. Assuming, of course, that hes not really "Snake Blisken, Mad Dog Killer". lol

If he's drunk, spray your hose up in the air like its your sprinklers lol. I would call the non-emergency police line and report it. If it escalates, call them again and hopefully he will get a trespassing warning that if he's ever near your property he will be arrested. He could get public intoxication, disorderly and criminal mischief too.
    No+Trespassing+Violators+will+be+shot+survivors+will+be+shot+again.jpg
    gatorbait51 and Maynard like this.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Is he a new neighbor or did this just start happening out of nowhere?
    I assume like most people around here he has probably lived here his whole life. We are new to the neighborhood, relatively speaking, about to complete our second year living here. Our dog will bark at anything that goes by outside the fence, but sometimes she gets especially alarmed-sounding. She was doing that this morning when he went by, and I suspect that a lot of the time when she does that it's him. I'm going to start investigating more. Maybe now that I'm not totally unknown to him he will cut it out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Chances are that guy is a "frequent flyer", and is well known to the authorities. They can quickly let you know if hes a real threat, or more like "Otis the town drunk".
    Yeah I was thinking about that. I will also call some neighbors and find out what they know about him.
    gatorbait51 and Hoganbeg like this.

The first thing to remember is that alcohol intoxication is only one of several things that could cause a person to act this way. It could be alcohol, drugs, or it could be a medical condition such as diabetic reaction or one of many other serious ailments. Calling the authorities would not be a bad thing and most definitely get you on record as being the recipient of his attention which could be invaluable in the future if something escalates. If it did turn out to be a medical issue then you may be giving him the help he doesn't know he needs.

Make sure you know your states limitations on the level of force you may invoke to remove or stop a trespasser that isn't exhibiting an obvious deadly threat. Each state has their own limitations. Having a less than lethal level of force available such as pepper spray handy may save you some court costs in the future if things escalate.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Make sure you know your states limitations on the level of force you may invoke to remove or stop a trespasser that isn't exhibiting an obvious deadly threat. Each state has their own limitations. Having a less than lethal level of force available such as pepper spray handy may save you some court costs in the future if things escalate.
    Yes, my personal stance is that even on my property I will not use deadly force unless the alternative is likely death or serious injury for me or my family. We have pepper spray and a stun gun (not to mention the dog, which clearly hates him at this point) as alternatives.
    gatorbait51 and Nebraska12 like this.

I called our friends who live down the street, and spoke to the female half of the couple. She said she knows of the guy, confirmed he did live here, and said her husband (who grew up in this town, but is at work at the moment) will know his last name and more about him, but he cuts through their yard to get to the post office and the husband has never seemed worried about him. Once I get his last name I'll call the county police and let them know what's going on, and find out if they know more about him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    If all else fails try this:

Hook up a couple of electric wires from a harmless 110 V outlet to the chain link portion of the fence he frequents and the next time he pulls the fence rattling stunt throw the switch.

I have used this non lethal deterant for squirrels that use my fence to get on my roof and into my attic. If it won't kill a squirrel it won't hurt him.

Once he leaves (probably call the cops) go unhook the rigged wires.

Just a semi serious suggestion, but it could be fun and high in entrtainment value. You might also want to shoot some video for YouTube.
    NONAME762 and paramedic70002 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Personally, you don't want to make an enemy of a neighbor if you can help it. They can make life miserable and have you on constant yellow alert when he / she finds out you called the cops on them. Then again, having a record of the incident(s) is vital if anything more serious occurs. A coin toss?

I might try while on my property, the next time he passed, politely introduce yourself, be friendly and make small talk and see how that goes.

Whatever you decide, it sounds like you may need, "The Slurring Spanish Dictionary, 7th edition" for communication purposes.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I might try while on my property, the next time he passed, politely introduce yourself, be friendly and make small talk and see how that goes.
    That was kind of my approach this time. I forgot, we actually had a 911 call in at my wife's insistence from the first time this happened, so there's already something on record, somewhere I guess.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Au pair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . To clear up anything on the Au Pair .

I would talk with him if he is ever sober .And most certainly stop by the local police that handle your area and give them a heads up . If you have a legal way to video this behavior may help down the road .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    My grandmother's dog was poisoned by a guy like that. I'd be taking immediate steps to ensure that he stays away from the dog.
    jenatron, Sister and 1911srule like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links