New shotgun security setup

This is a discussion on New shotgun security setup within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Newly completed home security upgrade. So I was poking around a local pull apart looking for some interior pieces for a grand marquis. I happened ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By daffyduc

Thread: New shotgun security setup

New shotgun security setup

Newly completed home security upgrade.

So I was poking around a local pull apart looking for some interior pieces for a grand marquis. I happened upon a police interceptor. I noticed it had the shotgun lock still in place between the front seats. Although all the metal brackets and other pieces were missing the lock was still there. I quickly picked open the little handcuff lock with a small bit of scrap metal, unbolted her and went on my way. At the counter the lady had no idea what to charge. She ended up ringing it as an interior accessory or something, it was around 5 bucks.

Once home I quickly pulled up the manufacturer specs and found a power supply that would work in my box O Computer parts. Cool, the solenoid still works! No rust or anything. Measured and cut to fit the mossberg.

I decided where I wanted to mount it and how I was going to secure it. A few hours later and we are in business.

Locks:

as many of you are aware by now I absolutely deplore companies that market security products with filing cabinet locks. As you can see there are no pin tumbler locks on my unit. What I have is a cast iron key safe. 2 points about this device that makes it a good option. 1 I have personally seen these beaten beyond recognition, attacked with crowbars, screwdrivers and even shot with a handgun. None have given up the ghost. That little 3x4x2 inch box weighs almost 5 lbs. I have however seen the whole unit stolen by beating it off the wall however that's a whole different ball of wax.
    The second point is they have no fixed syntax. Most knowledge based devices have a standard syntax. 4 characters, 3 numbers, etc. These key safes allow you to use as few as 1 number or all 10. You can use any amount in between. So the possibilities are almost infinite and you have to confirm when your done or clear it to start over. This means even if you guess the combo (lets assume its 12) if you don't stop and try it when your typing 123, it does not open. So a brute force attack is very tedious and unlikely to yield a result.

Physical security:

There are 2 lag bolts behind the lock. The wood screws are just for extra support incase someone tries to yank it off the wall.

The wires running through the wood are inside a thick steel tube in a cavity. The power supply wires are purposely run in front of the actuator wires. This means if someone were to try cutting the line to short the actuator they would first cut the power source. Now of course at that point if you can find the magic pair, you can simply rewire the solenoid and open it. I would be more inclined to simply cut the wall behind it or drill out the hinge, if I intended to steal the gun.

I would have liked to make this out of metal however this is a good start. I may bring this down to a friend of mine that does metal work to mill the same back plate in the future. For now this is plenty robust to keep my 3 year old out and that's the main point.

Btw: condition of the mossberg is 5 x 00 buck in the mag, nothing in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. Of course with the lock in place you cannot rack in a round into the chamber or cock the hammer. There is a drawer light attached to the nightstand that illuminates the keypad nicely.

Total cost of the project for me was 12 bucks!!!!

$5 lock
    $7 Assorted lag bolts and metal tubing

Keysafe was a left over freebie from a friends project.

All other supplies I had in the garage.

If you wanted to build this yourself it would cost around $50 from scratch. I see these locks on eBay all the time for under $20. Key safes are about $20 as well. The remaining items are cheap and readily available at lowes.

Keysafe:

No wafer locks here. There is a pull cord in the lockbox to manually operate the pin incase of power failure or solenoid failure . Even if you remove the top bolt, the barrel nut it screws into occupies the entire opening. There is no access to the pinch pin that was operated by the original lock.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Good job
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Cool idea
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Links