Having a handgun at home...

This is a discussion on Having a handgun at home... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; May not be enough... Safely ensconced in your nightstand, or in a safe in the bedroom, for home defense; sure won't do you much good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Having a handgun at home...

Having a handgun at home...

May not be enough...

Safely ensconced in your nightstand, or in a safe in the bedroom, for home defense; sure won't do you much good at a time like this:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Now, will it?

Even at 8:00 am, in broad daylight...

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I am beginning to see the need for substantially more firepower. As the bad guys change their tactics, so should your home defense tactics change. The lone handgun is kept company by an AR and a shotgun, w/ extra mags, all at the ready.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Yep, I'm going for the shotgun.
    Christopher67 likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Twelve gauge unwelcome mat!
    PEF and Badey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I am beginning to see the need for substantially more firepower. As the bad guys change their tactics, so should your home defense tactics change. The lone handgun is kept company by an AR and a shotgun, w/ extra mags, all at the ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    Yep, I'm going for the shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Twelve gauge unwelcome mat!
    Missing the point.... Unless the handgun is on your person, it ain't doin' you any good.

And if you walk around the house with the long gun slinged, that might be a bit much, ay?

It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I have 12 gauges in more than one location (no kids) and dogs and motion detectors for a heads up.

I carry in the house, that is why I love subcompact guns. I also have an alarm system and a dog.Unless you are a ninja,you are not getting in my house without me getting a heads up. I know nothing is full proof,but I try to even the odds the best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Missing the point.... Unless the handgun is on your person, it ain't doin' you any good.

And if you walk around the house with the long gun slinged, that might be a bit much, ay?

A local lady that was doing garden work in the morning, was raped when two guys jumped the fence and forced her into the house, so better carry a gun than a cell phone. And never on the night stand, wife on one side and gun on the other, under your sheets. The way I sleep it has to be a really clumsy thief to wake me up on time to grab my gun from the night stand.

The best defense is the one that allows you to get to your guns (if you are adverse to carrying every moment in your house) such as beefing up doors and locks (including the doorframe).
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Me & the wife are usually home and our sidearms are always in reach.

We spent some time at the range today. I seriously doubt she'd blink at 3:1 odds..... Dang! she's good. I was looking at the toys in the store and learned later she had signed-up for some advanced firearm training. "Tactical Granny" and she is lovin' it.

Range was 50% females today?? (Yeah, blue-haired women on the firing line) World's changing.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Most of the time when Im at here at home I am at this computer desk in my bedroom with a Glock (17 or 30) in a holster within arms reach, or one in my holster on my hip. Even then, about 7' behind me, I have my AK loaded and hanging on the wall ready to go. About 7' to my left, I have my 12ga Maverick 88 pump loaded with 6 00 buck, and a side saddle with 4 more 00 buck and 2 slugs.

Even then, Im upstairs, so Id have time to get at least one of them since they would have to walk up 17 stairs before they got to my bedroom. Really not trying to take any chances.

Since we don't have any kids at home my pistol is loaded and laying on the nightstand where I can get to it easily. I am a firm believer in safety, I know that people have to keep their family safe and their homes secure. I have had my house broken into, but if I walked around all of the time just waiting for someone to break in, I would feel like a prisoner in my own home.
    2tall79 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I have 12 gauges in more than one location (no kids) and dogs and motion detectors for a heads up.
    Dogs and an alarm would have helped her most! What they would have bought her was time! DR
    tdave likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    We spent some time at the range today. I seriously doubt she'd blink at 3:1 odds..... Dang! she's good. I was looking at the toys in the store and learned later she had signed-up for some advanced firearm training. "Tactical Granny" and she is lovin' it.

Range was 50% females today?? (Yeah, blue-haired women on the firing line) World's changing.
    Ain't it great?
    tdave and Jeanlouise like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank19119 View Post
    I carry in the house, that is why I love subcompact guns. I also have an alarm system and a dog.Unless you are a ninja,you are not getting in my house without me getting a heads up. I know nothing is full proof,but I try to even the odds the best I can.
    I also carry a subcompact xd 40 at home, and DON"T feel like I'm a prisioner
    Ksgunner and Christopher67 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links