Incident Today.

Incident Today.

This is a discussion on Incident Today. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So today I have a friend visiting from out of town and we decided to head down the road a few blocks to a local ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Incident Today.

Exclamation Incident Today.

So today I have a friend visiting from out of town and we decided to head down the road a few blocks to a local Greek restaurant (who has the best gyros around) for lunch. I live in an apartment complex in a decent area; homeless people are a bit of a problem (I get asked for money anytime I walk through certain areas) but for the most part if is safe during the day. I suggested we walk because it wasn't far and was a beautiful day today out here in north central NC.

So we turn the corner out of the apartment complex and began towards our destination and I noticed an adult male probably 6' tall, walking around 50 yards in front from us. He was walking at a slow pace so I knew we eventually catch up with him and pass him, which I always try to avoid but my friend was hungry and could care less about passing someone, so we kept on. As we are approaching, around 15 yards out now, I see him turn around with his right hand in his pocket - it didn't seem significant, like he was waiting but still a little odd. He just stood there and stared at us as we were approaching and my intuition was really starting to kick in, the adrenaline was flowing because as we got closer, he looked more and more ill-intentioned. Around five yards out I can see the look on his face and wanted to cross the road but my friend refused and by the time I was explaining that we should cross the street to avoid him, we were already running up on him. As we approached within personal distance I casually said "Hi, how're you doing", the type of passer-by friendly quick talk, you know. I received a very cold, blank stare and silence in return. So as we walk passed, we practically high tailed it out of there walking as quickly as possible, short of running or jogging.

I kept on eye on him the entire time we passed by and while we were in front of him to ensure he wasn't following or attempting anything, he just kept walking and didn't seem to notice (false alarm I suppose). Today did certainly remind me of the need for situational awareness and contingency plans. I am not able to carry until next month (waiting on permit to get here) so I was unarmed but had my Gerber 6 Serrated knife which at the moment, besides OC spray, is about the all protection I can carry with me legally.

What would you have done in the same situation? Would you have crossed the street way before, closer? Would you have kept walking? Why? Do you think his reaction to our greeting was a red flag or was he just being a jerk?

Just looking to learn from the situation and have a plan for the next time it happens.
    Last edited by ArmedWebGuy; December 19th, 2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."- George Washington

VIP Member
    I'm looking at this from his perspective. Maybe he's got a bum leg, pulled hammy, whatever. (You didn't write he was homeless).

He's walking, and two guys are coming up on him. He can't run. What's he to do? Turn and make eye contact so he makes sure you know he knows he sees you. Hand in pocket on his weapon (or a bluff).

Seems like it worked.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

He is the one that was worried to guys coming up on him. His hand in his pocket was prob his way of discouraging both of you from approaching him.

Very true, I haven't thought of it quite that way. Just got that gut feeling something wasn't right and reacted accordingly. He probably was just an old guy not wanting to be bothered. but I suppose you really never know anyone's intentions.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."- George Washington

It doesn't sound like he exhibited any sign of violent intent. It's entirely possible that he thought you might be coming after him. You were coming up fast behind him, after all. I'd probably have done what he did.

Still, it was good to keep your awareness up.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Ironically there's another thread going here where a guy writes:

"So I was walking down the sidewalk today and I noticed these two guys 50 yards behind me walking very fast, like they were intent on catching me. They were talking back and forth and kept looking around, insignificant but kind of odd. Keeping my SA on high alert, before they closed inside of 15 yards I decided to stop and let them pass as to not have them walk right up behind me on my 6. I had my hand on my CCW in my pocket and when the one guy saw this he made up some BS "Hi, how ya doing" type of passer-by friendly quick talk. I didn't respond and maintained eye contact and then they took off really fast, almost running. That told me they were up to no good and if he hadn't noticed I had my hand in my pocket on my CCW I'm sure they would have mugged me. So, what do you think? Would you have done anything different?"

It's all about perspective.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

It was also difficult to tell if he was homeless I might add; it was definitely possible, though. The homeless around here have a track record of violence in broad daylight, I think that is where most of my bad feeling was coming from. I had a friend not long ago (around a month) get stabbed by a homeless woman because she didn't have any money and she was stabbed my friend with a dirty hypodermic needle. Since then, my awareness around them has increased leaps and bounds.

Here's a guy, walking down the sidewalk, minding his own bidness.

He hears a couple of guys steadily gaining on him from behind.... Puts his hand in his pocket, the one holding his old Colt Detective Special...

These two guys keep gaining on him, he wonders if maybe they want to play "knockout"with him... He don't play dat... He turns around, they can't blind side him that way.

He gives'em the hairy eyeball as they pass...

One of the parties shoulda crossed the street.... All 3 too hard headed to do it.

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    BadgerJ and kaikane0812 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Ironically there's another thread going here where a guy writes:

"So I was walking down the sidewalk today and I noticed these two guys 50 yards behind me walking very fast, like they were intent on catching me. They were talking back and forth and kept looking around, insignificant but kind of odd. Keeping my SA on high alert, before they closed inside of 15 yards I decided to stop and let them pass as to not have them walk right up behind me on my 6. I had my hand on my CCW in my pocket and when the one guy saw this he made up some BS "Hi, how ya doing" type of passer-by friendly quick talk. I didn't respond and maintained eye contact and then they took off really fast, almost running. That told me they were up to no good and if he hadn't noticed I had my hand in my pocket on my CCW I'm sure they would have mugged me. So, what do you think? Would you have done anything different?"

It's all about perspective.
    True, I do admit that I can understand the other guy's point of view with us coming up on him.

VIP Member
    The only thing - other than looking at it from the viewpoint of "the other guy" - that I would suggest that you did wrong was to let your friend dictate your actions. You are the one who has (and is working on improving) the SA in this scene. Therefore, you are the one who needed to assert yourself to slow down, cross the street, whatever.
    ctr, Hoganbeg, gasmitty and 10 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yeah, you was coming on him fast he probably was looking at that like maxell97 mention but on a second note you never know he could have being waiting for you to pass him so he could rob you guys. Never assume that it couldn't happen because it can but you did right by have SA and now since the holidays season people is targeting their victim. Keep up the SA and if it nothing well you haven't lost nothing and if it is you would have the edge.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedWebGuy View Post
    As we are approaching, around 15 yards out now, I see him turn around with his right hand in his pocket - it didn't seem significant, like he was waiting but still a little odd. He just stood there and stared at us as we were approaching and ... he looked more and more ill-intentioned.

As we approached within personal distance I casually said "Hi, how're you doing", the type of passer-by friendly quick talk, you know. I received a very cold, blank stare and silence in return.

What would you have done in the same situation?
    We pass people all the time, in this life. And get passed, as well.

Likely, the guy was simply thinking about whatever, turned to gauge possible threat to himself, and was a bit surprised to get a "How Do?" greeting from anyone. About par for the course, really.

Could have been anything. Or nothing. And the guy's look and apparent dislike for casual chit-chat with strangers isn't all that surprising, if a bit discourteous.

What would I have done differently? I try not to overtake folks, and I try to pay attention to trailers who are overtaking me. Generally, I take some pains to avoid coming too close, with folks I don't know. In a busy sidewalk situation, that's one thing. But with folks walking along solo, you never know what you're gonna get. I tend to maintain greater distance, adjust my speed, turn to cross the street if things get to raising the hairs on my neck. Distance is my friend, as is basic awareness. Though, 98% of these encounters are nothing but folks passing, without threat or risk. Can't very well do much more than minor changes in procedure and remaining prepared in case something does blow sideways.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The only thing - other than looking at it from the viewpoint of "the other guy" - that I would suggest that you did wrong was to let your friend dictate your actions. You are the one who has (and is working on improving) the SA in this scene. Therefore, you are the one who needed to assert yourself to slow down, cross the street, whatever.
    Also a good point to note; friends can be hardheaded, I'll just be even more hardheaded next time regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    Yeah, you was coming on him fast he probably was looking at that like maxell97 mention but on a second note you never know he could have being waiting for you to pass him so he could rob you guys. Never assume that it couldn't happen because it can but you did right by have SA and now since the holidays season people is targeting their victim. Keep up the SA and if it nothing well you haven't lost nothing and if it is you would have the edge.
    More than likely that seems to be the best answer, seeing how things went, but you know the old adage of hindsight. Will definitely be keeping up my SA, especially this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    We pass people all the time, in this life. And get passed, as well.

Likely, the guy was simply thinking about whatever, turned to gauge possible threat to himself, and was a bit surprised to get a "How Do?" greeting from anyone. About par for the course, really.

Could have been anything. Or nothing. And the guy's look and apparent dislike for casual chit-chat with strangers isn't all that surprising, if a bit discourteous.

What would I have done differently? I try not to overtake folks, and I try to pay attention to trailers who are overtaking me. Generally, I take some pains to avoid coming too close, with folks I don't know. In a busy sidewalk situation, that's one thing. But with folks walking along solo, you never know what you're gonna get. I tend to maintain greater distance, adjust my speed, turn to cross the street if things get to raising the hairs on my neck. Distance is my friend, as is basic awareness. Though, 98% of these encounters are nothing but folks passing, without threat or risk. Can't very well do much more than minor changes in procedure and remaining prepared in case something does blow sideways.
    I don't like overtaking anyone either, I hate that feeling of being on the alert when someone is approaching so I always try to avoid it when possible. Oh well, live and learn I suppose!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i would of crossed the street to avoid potential trouble, friend can follow or take the risk. his choice, no hard feelings.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedWebGuy View Post
    As we approached within personal distance I casually said "Hi, how're you doing", the type of passer-by friendly quick talk, you know. I received a very cold, blank stare and silence in return.
    Happens to me every day with customers at work...
    Recon1342 likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links