Frangible Ammo

This is a discussion on Frangible Ammo within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm new to a lot of things surrounding self/home defense and guns in general, and I'm curious about frangible ammunition. I've seen ads for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Frangible Ammo

Frangible Ammo

So I'm new to a lot of things surrounding self/home defense and guns in general, and I'm curious about frangible ammunition. I've seen ads for several different types advertised for use in the home to prevent over-penetration which could possibly lead to injury of a family member or guest in a room beyond the invader. Has anyone had any experience with this ammo? Any particular preferred brand or type? And are there any cons to this that I haven't thought of? I would be planning on reloading with this after I get home, as the need to penetrate cover might arise in a situation outside my home, but to me the risk of needing to do the same in my own home is outweighed by the risk of over penetration. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Better than throwing handful of rocks I guess. But id rather use a solid point hot 22 lr than a frangible bullet. The con is they probably wont penetrate the BG enough to get the job done.

You dont say what cal your carrying. If its not 357 mag or maybe 40 cal, if you use regular powered hollow points and hit the bg you likely arent going to go thru him and the walls.

Sort of a rock and hard place. If something wont make it thru two sheets of drywall or paneling it wont be much good against a determined human either.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sorry, at the moment I'm using a Walther PK380 with ZombieMax Hornady hollow points.

MJK
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Anything labeled "Zombie" can't be taken seriously.

Since the .380 is somewhat anemic to begin with, you should be looking to maximize, not reduce penetration. .380 carriers often go to FMJ looking for more penetration. If you choose to limit yourself to this round, FMJ will give you the most reliable penetration, and still won't be much of a concern...as long as you've done your part and assured safe lines of fire.

Get a service caliber pistol, rifle, or shotgun. Then lay out emergency procedures in your home. Use your "home court" advantage. Find safe backstops, cover, lanes of fire, rehearse sheltering and rally points.
    Lyndsey likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No bullet will eliminate all risks. Use what will surely get the job done--you might not get a second chance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i would stay away from the gimmicky zombie ammo for self defense. the box says it is not to be used on people, that it is for zombies only. i think the courts would have a field day on you for using zombie ammo if you ever had to use it for self defense. as far a frangible because of over penetration, you dont have to worry about over penetration much from a 380 bullet. here is a link to a guy who did a bunch of tests to find out the best 380 for him. check it out.

380 ACP Ammo Quest
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Soke very useful info there, MJK. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post

Since the .380 is somewhat anemic to begin with, you should be looking to maximize, not reduce penetration. .380 carriers often go to FMJ looking for more penetration. If you choose to limit yourself to this round, FMJ will give you the most reliable penetration, and still won't be much of a concern...as long as you've done your part and assured safe lines of fire.

Get a service caliber pistol, rifle, or shotgun. Then lay out emergency procedures in your home. Use your "home court" advantage. Find safe backstops, cover, lanes of fire, rehearse sheltering and rally points.
    Very useful info as well, although in my defense I chose the zombie because Hornady Critical Duty wasn't on the shelf at the time, and the only difference I see between the two is the color of the plug in the bullet itself. They seem to be identical otherwise From what I've read/heard, this type of round has a better chance of expansion without the hollow point getting plugged up with soft clothing. As far as the courts go, even using hollow points could be looked at that way, but so could carrying a weapon in general, so where do you draw the line? But carrying FMJ for better penetration due to weaker rounds is a thought, I'll have to think that one over, although I'm still thinking I'd rather make a bigger hole if possible. I should also clarify that I intend to get a 9mm Sig P938 ASAP, picked up the PK380 to use as a first gun and one that my wife was able to operate easily at the time. Being more comfortable with handguns now, we both want to get a bigger caliber. Thanks for the responses!

And then I got to Squid's link... some very useful info there as well. So got a lot to look at. Thanks all!
    oldnfat likes this.

Yeah to the above dont used zombie ammo I have some but I wont used it . Just get some normal CD rounds or anything the polcie might used . I love CD round in my 380s .

Also yeah we know it is the same round but show that box and ...

Any round can go throguh walls . look here The Box O' Truth #4 - Miscellaneous Rounds Meet the Box O' Truth glaser went though 6 layers of dry wall. Glaser might work they were made to dump all engry when the hit a target but if you miss they will go though walls. also The Box O' Truth #4 - Miscellaneous Rounds Meet the Box O' Truth

So yeah frang ammo will work if you hit the guy it was made hower to reduce richots and not blow a hole through a plan but as seen will go though walls .. If you live in a apr I could maybe see it if you have thin walls..

And I love the 938 and 238 but have you though about getting a full size or compact size 9 mm? You live in TX you can own 17 -20 round mags why not get something a little bigger for HD. I love a 938 but unless I lived in CA or the such I would like to have 15 rounds of HP on tap . To each his own..

The 938 will probably be my next purchase because it is so easy to conceal. After that I'm looking at a P226 Navy, but it is considerably bigger. I'm on the large side myself and can probably carry the 226 often but not necessarily in every situation that I might want to. I also like the Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45, but trying to get more range time and work my way up a bit as far as calibers go. The 938 will probably end up being my wife's gun after she gets comfortable with it, she wants something small for the Flashbang holster.

The 226 would also work fine for home defense until I can get a higher capacity, like an M9 with double stack magazines.

I'd try a short-barreled shotgun for home defense

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by genkirk2004 View Post
    Hornady Critical Duty wasn't on the shelf at the time, and the only difference I see between the two is the color of the plug in the bullet itself. They seem to be identical otherwise
    critical defense also has a nickle plated case.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by genkirk2004 View Post
    The 938 will probably be my next purchase because it is so easy to conceal. After that I'm looking at a P226 Navy, but it is considerably bigger. I'm on the large side myself and can probably carry the 226 often but not necessarily in every situation that I might want to. I also like the Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45, but trying to get more range time and work my way up a bit as far as calibers go. The 938 will probably end up being my wife's gun after she gets comfortable with it, she wants something small for the Flashbang holster.

The 226 would also work fine for home defense until I can get a higher capacity, like an M9 with double stack magazines.

Just get a 228 or 229 it is the compact of the 226 and are made for carry and can used the same mags as the 226 so you would have a carry and HD gun. And yeah the 938 is a great carry gun imop no qustion

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post

Since the .380 is somewhat anemic to begin with

Get a service caliber pistol, rifle, or shotgun.
    I think the OP is waiting on the A-Pock-Lips with his current ammo choice! But that being said the 380acp out of a PK380 has ballistics** close to a 38 Special +P so I wouldn't Poo-Poo the 380acp that he is using. Additionally the 380 acp is a "service" caliber in the EU and has been such for several decades. I do carry a 380 acp as back up or when I need something more than rocks for a quick run to the gas station or store. As a note my EDC is a 357 Sig.

** See Winchester LE ammo website for the data on the ballistic I'm quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    I'd try a short-barreled shotgun for home defense

Not too short though that could be bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links