Curbside garbage can alert burglars to what's new to steal

This is a discussion on Curbside garbage can alert burglars to what's new to steal within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Be careful of what you put out on the curb for trash pick up.Empty boxes that expensive HDTVs,laptops,video game systems came in can give a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Curbside garbage can alert burglars to what's new to steal

Curbside garbage can alert burglars to what's new to steal

Be careful of what you put out on the curb for trash pick up.Empty boxes that expensive HDTVs,laptops,video game systems came in can give a clue to burglars you have good stuff to steal.

Curbside garbage can alert burglars to what's new to steal - Las Vegas MyNews3 - KSNV
    StormRhydr and NickBurkhardt like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Things are so tough around here that people try to make a living knocking padlocks off garbage can lids.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Due to forced recycling our garbage service will no longer pick up cardboard so now we have to waste gas to take it to a recycling center ourselves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You can't do things like that anymore.Crooks looking for anything these days.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Due to forced recycling our garbage service will no longer pick up cardboard so now we have to waste gas to take it to a recycling center ourselves.
    I choose not to burn cardboard so it gets cut up into manageable size pieces and goes in the garbage. I would gladly recycle if they would pick up recyclables but they don't and I will not waste gas to do it.
    As for burglars going through curb side trash, that probably only applies in urban areas.

Administrator
    Pick a neighbor that you don't like and put your HDTV box in front of that house for trash pickup.

Here is PA the RECYCLE program is so successful that the waste management co. does not have enough trash to fill the PA. land fills so they take non-recycled garbage from Ohio & West Virgina and put that in the PA. land fills.

What a damn racket! Always "Follow The Money!"
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If you wanted to give pause to potential thieves how about intermingling parts of an old medical skeleton in the trash maybe even with chew marks or BBQ sauce.

I just put my HDTV boxes and such in front of my liberal neighbors house after they go to the Community organizer meeting. When I feel real creative I put my boxes in front the guys house who lives down the road that is on probation for theft.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Where I now live, the only thing curbside that come or goes is mail. No trash collection services. We must drive our trash and recyclables to the SWA station (Solid Waste Authority), and separate our trash from our recyclables once there.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

If, after being burgled, you should place empty boxes of high-end electronics at the curb, and then sit in your darkened home with a bag lunch and a shotgun......would that be considered "baiting"?
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Trash pickers will see these no matter the time of year.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    I break down my cardboard boxes flat and turn them inside out and fold them up and tie them up with some twine. We also have a burn barrel in the back yard. All credit card applications and other sensitive materials get burned.

My dogs let me know if anybody is in the cul-de-sac.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
    Be careful of what you put out on the curb for trash pick up.Empty boxes that expensive HDTVs,laptops,video game systems came in can give a clue to burglars you have good stuff to steal.
    For the past couple of decades I've been chopping up such boxes and taking them elsewhere for disposal. Makes far more sense than simply dropping them off at the curb, giving any enterprising criminal a perfect glimpse of the products inside, the apparent level of disposable income, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    We have trash burglars of another kind! Around here you either have to have bear proof garbage containers or lock it in your barn or garage!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Funny. My neighbor came out and looked at -my- cardboard boxes this morning, not because he's a thief; just a busy body. He likes to come over and accost the cleaning lady, the county assessor, and lately, my handymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links