Kayak Trip Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Kayak Trip Concealed Carry within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I've got a few questions that some people may have some answers to. It's hard to find anything good for such a broad ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By 9986mkoh
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 3 Post By patri0t
  • 2 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Kayak Trip Concealed Carry

Hi all,
    I've got a few questions that some people may have some answers to. It's hard to find anything good for such a broad range of places and circumstances, but I figured someone might be able to push me in the right direction.

This spring, my wife and I are taking a kayak trip from the Ohio river on the OH/WV border to the Gulf via the Mississippi River. It's going to take somewhere around 100 days, and obviously we are going to be carrying. We'll be camping wherever we can along the way, more than likely getting permission from people to set up tent on their property unless we're in really remote places.

Anyway, pertaining to firearm laws I'm not sure where we stand. We both have our OH concealed carry permits (we have .22 mag Ruger LCRs, just FYI) and I'm aware that we have reciprocity with all but one state along the way, Illinois. So, I'm assuming at this point we'll have to stay on the Kentucky side...or am I missing something? Like could we unload our guns and store them, or open carry, and then it wouldn't matter once we're in our tent since that would be our home for a few months?

Any other input on the legalities of different things during our trip would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Grantspastor likes this.

Welcome to the Forum!

The single best place to get the information you seek is at member Gary Slider's website, here: Handgunlaw.us
    DrDP6, srings and pgrass101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

IL has said if you in a car and stay in it you can carry a gun on you with permit .. But do check the website there is also a great book called the traveler guide to gun and knife laws that I like about 14 bucks on amazon
    DrDP6 likes this.

I would not ask for legal advise on an Internet forum.
    Check with the AG of any state you plan to go through. Third party advise is VERY risky.
    shadowwalker, Chorizo and DrDP6 like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I would not ask for legal advise on an Internet forum.
    Check with the AG of any state you plan to go through. Third party advise is VERY risky.
    Agreed, though it should only ever be considered a starting point. A fool is the one who takes such advice for what it cost, then runs with it.

If the concealed/open carry questions are understood from the standpoint of traveling via any means and walking around in the states in question, then that really should be all you need to know. I'd imagine it shouldn't be any different than taking a bicycling tour through those states, basically.

You'll need to appreciate "storage" while traveling in your "vehicle" (accessibility, whether general vehicles [ie bicycles] are considered in the statutes generally instead of strictly "motor" vehicles), storage or accessibility within a campsite, and carry situations (if holstering up and carrying). If you can camp, cycle around, carry lawfully in your chosen manner, then you should be fine. About the only other question would be state borders within the river. I'd imagine it's always a dividing line right down the middle of the river, though I couldn't say for certain. Don't get on the wrong side, unless you know the transport/accessibility statutes in that other state cold.

If you cannot find statutes that specifically cover the basic situations you'll be facing (borders, transport, vehicles, storage/accessibility, carry), I'd also suggest touching bases with a competent attorney who can clarify ... at least, if coming anywhere near Illinois. The state of IL will be figuring out its way during this first year or two; not a place I'd be wanting to cross while carrying, at least for awhile, not even if camping and touring along the river.

Sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    That sounds like a fun trip you have planned. My guess, only a guess, is that you'll need to make certain you can navigate the entire
    length on the Kentucky side.

There's a slightly different issue you need to consider too. State law on trespass along rivers varies quite a bit. As you will unquestionably
    be passing lots of private property and needing to stop along the shore, be certain you know if and how far up the embankment you can go, or camp, without being considered a trespasser. Being an armed trespasser usually only makes things worse.

There may also be items considered critical infrastructure where carry is prohibited that you will need to avoid as you navigate, or
    sections of waterway and adjacent land considered under control of the Army Corp of Engineers and therefore gun free.

I don't think you can wing this. I think you'll need to study very detailed maps of the entire waterway plus each state's laws before setting out.
    bigmacque and ccw9mm like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Oh, no don't get me wrong I wasn't looking for straight answers just guidance. The country seems like a real pain in the ass with laws like this. I can be trespassing while still on the water, actually (at least based on a quick search of trespassing). And this has been in the planning process for a while, the concealed carry is proving to be the most difficult.

VIP Member
    Howdy from Dayton...good to have you in the house! Have a great trip...sounds like an absolute great time. We often talk about range reports on new guns in a persons fold, but this time I'm requesting a trip report and some cool pics. Have fun...be safe!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Search Canoe magazine. A number of years back they covered the trip taken by 2 guys in Mad River Monarchs (decked canoes) down the complete Mississippi river and beyond. I think one of the guys was V Kruger(sp?).If you can get a copy of the complete article it will provide you with much info. Best of luck on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    Search Canoe magazine. A number of years back they covered the trip taken by 2 guys in Mad River Monarchs (decked canoes) down the complete Mississippi river and beyond. I think one of the guys was V Kruger(sp?).If you can get a copy of the complete article it will provide you with much info. Best of luck on your trip.
    Here it is online: Verlen Kruger stories “from the vault”: A look back at Kruger and Landick's Ultimate Canoe Challenge, from Oct 1984 issue.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Yes, but the thing is lots of the places considered "critical infrastructure" weren't, in 1984. I'd be looking to kayak and canoe clubs/rafting clubs, for guidance sorting it all out.

OP stated in post 7 "I can be trespassing while still on the water."

That is probably a combo of state and Federal rules. Where I live you
    are not trespassing while you are on navigable water, but could find yourself near, or in something designated as critical infrastructure/gun free.

E.g., everything from water intake pipes to bridge pilings. As I said, this is will take a bit a careful map and law reading, along with plenty of
    advice from folks in kayak clubs/rafting clubs etc.

To the OP--- your trip sounds like it is going to be one fabulous adventure. Go for it. Just do the homework before you climb in and start paddling. Seems like that homework is already underway--- good for you.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Wow! A trip of epic proportions. A friend once solo kayaked the full length of the Yukon River. 2000 miles in 82 days

Thanks for the help and support. I'll be sure to post more about it when the time comes. I've still got a bit of research ahead of me at this point, but at least I've got the time left.

Quote Originally Posted by 9986mkoh View Post
    Thanks for the help and support. I'll be sure to post more about it when the time comes. I've still got a bit of research ahead of me at this point, but at least I've got the time left.
    This helped me The Traveler's Gun & Knife Law Book, 3rd Edition: The Essential Resource for Travelers, Hunters and Concealed-Carry Permit Holders: David Wong Esq.: 9780982684023: Amazon.com: Books a bit outdated for some states but I think only NY/IL/CO are off as they all changed this year

Links