GOOD Magnetic Driveway Alarm?

This is a discussion on GOOD Magnetic Driveway Alarm? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, folks, I have done quite a bit of searching here and elsewhere, and can't come up with a definite answer to my quest for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daffyduc

Thread: GOOD Magnetic Driveway Alarm?

Hello, folks,

I have done quite a bit of searching here and elsewhere, and can't come up with a definite answer to my quest for a GOOD magnetic driveway alarm. My driveway is over 200' long and wooded, so the signal would have to carry fairly well. Motion sensors are out because of numerous deer and wind moving the trees.

Any suggestions, or recommendations of specific brands, would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Regan

You may have to try a commercial source to find a magnetic system. If you have a large hospital near you contact their maintenance director, as they likely use them to control traffic in their parking lots/ramps. Years back I serviced some at the hospital where I worked but can't remember the manufactures.
    Also they would not alert you unless someone was in a vehicle.

Loop Detectors and Driveway Loops

How do Driveway Sensing Loops Work | Access Control Systems - Driveway Gates, Security Gates, Repair & Service in San Francisco Bay Area

You might find these useful.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

We used a good old fashioned air pressure bell rig at work.

http://www.miltonsbells.com/

Looks like they have a 300' model

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    Enzo411 likes this.
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

DCPA2500 - Dakota Alert 2500' Magnetic Probe Driveway Alarm System

This is the one we have, our driveway is about 800' long and it works good. I have the transmitter on a power pole behind our line of cedar trees. It can be direct buried, but I did put mine in PVC conduit, including the sensor itself. The receiver is in the middle of the house, not near a window or anything.

I've had a Dakota Alert MURS system with the magnetic probe for about ten years now. It works great.
    I just had the circuitry upgraded this past year and it takes C123 batteries now instead of AA's. We've had a couple small, winter thunderstorms and no false triggers, so I'm hoping it stays that way. It's a nice setup and their customer service is great.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Thanks for the tips, everyone, I appreciate the help. I'll do some research on these suggestions.

Another vote for Dakota. I've got mine set up with 2 receivers. One in the house and one in the shed, so I can hear it go off inside or out behind the barn.

How about a really good watch dog? I find they are the best alarms around.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Sponsored Links