Nightstand Holster

This is a discussion on Nightstand Holster within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a question for those of you who rely on a handgun for home defense. Let's say something goes bump in the night. I have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Nightstand Holster

Nightstand Holster

Here's a question for those of you who rely on a handgun for home defense. Let's say something goes bump in the night. I have no little ones to be concerned about, so my game plan is to hunker down in my safe room and call the police. I have no delusions that I am qualified to clear my house on my own. However, if for any reason I do need to leave my room, I'd obviously like to have a holster of some sort. The catch is, I sleep in athletic shorts with an elastic waistband. So, if I do need to move with my weapon, what is the best way to handle the holster situation short of throwing on a pair of jeans and a belt? I'm not crazy about shoulder holsters, but that might be my best option. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I don't use a holster in the house, I just carry my sidearm.

A $10. Wal-Mart fanny pack, or possibles bag from sporting goods would work, or even a cheap IWB type holster, just to cover the trigger.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

You could always get a Remora or Sticky holster.
    WrongRecroom and jenatron like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member
    During the sleeping hours, my handgun is unholstered on the night stand within easy reach. Should something go bump in the night the BG would have to traverse a long backlit hallway to my bedroom. If there is some warning, the 12 ga. is my go to.

If all you have is a big gun and night pants either a Remora holster or the such or a small pocket gun pocket carry or just have it in hand finger off the bang pad ...

Shoulder holster work too but take a bit to get use to them drawing .I vote Remora they are cheep and something you can just stick in bweten you and your pants.

All that said if we are talking a big honking gun here like say a 92 , 5906 etc I dont think a remora + sweat pants may be enoguh ( ask me how I know )..

It all dependens on the gun
    DJC7 likes this.

After 40 years I have found the Wilderness Tactical SafePacker to be my best option. I put a shoulder strap on it and lay it in my night table with my Glock 19 in it. It also holds some spare magazines, knife and flashlight. If I hear a bump in the night, I could grab it and put it over my shoulder which gives me fast access to my gun if needed and both hands free if not. It is also great to use in the car as you can put it on your seatbelt. I have two of them as I work late in my home office so I can hear bumps in there too. However, my house is small and when I step out of my bedroom I can see the rest of the house so there really will not be a need to clear anything. Quit frankly, I have never grabbed my gun at night in my lifetime. All noises heard in this time sounded like something I could identify like a box falling in the pantry or one of those suction cups with a hook in the shower, falling and taking whatever is using it with it.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Well if something goes bump in the night my gun is in my hand I want as few moves as possible to have ready defense the more time you take getting ready puts your well being at risk.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird451 View Post
    Here's a question for those of you who rely on a handgun for home defense. Let's say something goes bump in the night. I have no little ones to be concerned about, so my game plan is to hunker down in my safe room and call the police. I have no delusions that I am qualified to clear my house on my own. However, if for any reason I do need to leave my room, I'd obviously like to have a holster of some sort. The catch is, I sleep in athletic shorts with an elastic waistband. So, if I do need to move with my weapon, what is the best way to handle the holster situation short of throwing on a pair of jeans and a belt? I'm not crazy about shoulder holsters, but that might be my best option. Thanks
    I use a bedside holster that fits between the mattress and box spring/base, so the gun and a spare mag are right there on the sdie of my bed. I don't mess with a carry holster if I have to move through the house at night. I draw the gun and hold it in a retention position with the spare mag held similarly to an off-weapon tac light in my support hand. I have a weapon mounted light on my HD handgun.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links