Strange Situation

This is a discussion on Strange Situation within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; About a year ago I headed to the grocery store around 11 pm. At the time I did not have my ccw. I pulled into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Strange Situation

Strange Situation

About a year ago I headed to the grocery store around 11 pm. At the time I did not have my ccw. I pulled into the parking lot and got out of my truck and noticed this guy who looked odd and was not acting normal. We made eye contact but I didn't think much of it so I shrugged it off and we both went inside and started shopping. As I was going throughout the store, I kept noticing that he was never farther than 50 feet from me. He always had his eye on me and kept a cell phone in his hand at all times. I first thought he had a buddy outside that was breaking into cars and he was keeping tabs on the people in the store. As I made my way towards the cash register, I was bagging my groceries and noticed that he was sitting on a bench at the end of the check out lane and was still looking at me. At this point, I figure something was up. I walked out of the store and I walked straight to the parking lot where he walked out the door and took a left. I thought he was gone but when I got to my truck, he was only feet away and approached me asking for a ride. I told him I was busy and had to pick up a friend. Im not sure what he really wanted a "ride" for. He was a smaller guy no more than 5'8" and maybe 160 lbs soaking wet where I am 6'3" and pushing 215 lbs so I figured I could take the guy down if he tried anything.

Being that this guy looked like a tweaker and followed me around the store then met me at my truck, made me wonder what his real idea of doing was.

My question is, what would you guys have done in that situation?

Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

First I would have ask him in the store dude whats ups .. Esp with witness and camera around . Maybe even stayed in store till I know he was gone .

No way would I have gone back to the parking lot at night not knowing whats up.

Also sure you might be bigger then him but a knife or a gun is a heck of a equilzer in a fight .
    NONAME762, tdave, tdave and 10 others like this.

What you did sounds about right to me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by jk58 View Post
    At this point, I figure something was up. I walked out of the store and I walked straight to the parking lot where he walked out the door and took a left. I thought he was gone but when I got to my truck, he was only feet away and approached me asking for a ride.

Being that this guy looked like a tweaker and followed me around the store then met me at my truck, made me wonder what his real idea of doing was. My question is, what would you guys have done in that situation?
    I'd have done much like what you did. But the one thing I would absolutely have ensured was that he never left my sight, not for a minute. Turning your back and getting surprised with him just on the other side of your door could have turned deadly, had he been a 'jacker and armed.

Of course, you yourself were not armed at the time, at least without CHL/sidearm. Could have had knives, pepper spray and similar. It can get tough sometimes, when totally unarmed. All the more reason to never, ever let the suspicious person out of your view, not for a moment. Distance is your friend, in such situations. Getting caught unawares, about the worst thing that could happen and a precursor to being robbed or 'jacked.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Umm, maybe he swings the other way and was actually trying to be picked up... What part of town were you in?
    SIGP250 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    First off......Welcome to the forum.

Don't let size difference make you over confident. Too many "BIG" men have been taken down and out by smaller opponents with a little bit of training.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree, it does sound like some kind of anonymous romantic thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have to applaud your situational awareness...most people would never have noticied. I am the same way and it drives my wife crazy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    I had something very similar happen to me a couple months ago, and described it here:
    Interviewed In A Supermarket Parking Lot
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The only thing I could think of was he wanted a "date" or a ride to somewhere his buddies were and they would have tried to harm me in some way.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

You did good, but in the future conversations with suspicious strangers at a safer distance, please. Smaller persons approaching big fellow past 11.00 pm in a parking lot have big knifes.
    WrongRecroom and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Simple:

Before you went outside, while he was sitting on the bench at the end of the check out counter, walk up to him (no smile, no attitude) and say:

Can I help you?

Then respond accordingly to what he says.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

This is getting to be the ruse for panhandlers and also those who wish to further their criminal career. They do it by pleading needs such as "I need money for gas to go to blah, blah" or "Hey, Dude, can you help me out with a ride to blah, blah.."

Thieves take advantage of the generosity of some people and they know the Good Samaritans are easy prey. I think you handled the situation just fine, we need to be aware of what is really going on in a situation such as this. If the guy was truly in "need" and has a cell phone, he can call for help.

This has happened to me on a few occasions, especially while getting gasoline. It happened in Kentucky as we were going to Illinois between Christmas and New Years Eve. I was pumping gas, the wife went inside the store and some scruffy dude comes up to me and says "I'm embarrassed to ask but I need to get back to Lexington and need some gas, blah, blah...." I wasn't "buying" it, and had my Taurus pistol with me just in case he decided to get angry when I told him I don't carry cash and am on a real limited budget myself.

He waddled away to harass more of the Pilot station customers. I know it was in broad daylight and the place was packed with people, but you just never know. Handle each situation as something going down really bad until you find out it may be legit. Safer in the long run I can tell you.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I keep a one liner in the back of my mind. "I can't help you so you better leave before no one can help you"

You did fine, and the comments above are pretty on point.

Consider learning Dutch, so you can begin having an argument in Dutch, with your Doppelgänger. That'll convince almost anyone to leave you alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links