Home invasion SPREE... 4 elderly victims in neighborhood

This is a discussion on Home invasion SPREE... 4 elderly victims in neighborhood within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 4 houses. near each other... 4 elderly victims, 5 victims total. If a neighbor's been hit, you are more at risk... of course, they don't ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Home invasion SPREE... 4 elderly victims in neighborhood

4 houses. near each other... 4 elderly victims, 5 victims total.

If a neighbor's been hit, you are more at risk... of course, they don't always happen in one night... but this article illustrates the pattern... and there's a map that shows the proximity of each home invasion...

It's not a bad idea to get to know your neighbors and to let them know that it isn't the same world it used to be... lock their doors, consider a gun (if they don't have one), and be more prepared, generally.

The most common entry is thru the FRONT DOOR... A simple, cheap driveway alarm from Harbor Freight (Like this one), placed in the living room may alert them to unwanted visitors if they place the receiver in the bedroom (unless they have animals that would set it off like dogs or cats)...

Here's the article
    gatorbait51 and Phaedrus like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    4 houses. near each other... 4 elderly victims, 5 victims total.

If a neighbor's been hit, you are more at risk... of course, they don't always happen in one night... but this article illustrates the pattern... and there's a map that shows the proximity of each home invasion...

It's not a bad idea to get to know your neighbors and to let them know that it isn't the same world it used to be... lock their doors, consider a gun (if they don't have one), and be more prepared, generally.

The most common entry is thru the FRONT DOOR... A simple, cheap driveway alarm from Harbor Freight (Like this one), placed in the living room may alert them to unwanted visitors if they place the receiver in the bedroom (unless they have animals that would set it off like dogs or cats)...

Here's the article
    I'm a big fan of these units. However, I think used as you describe could in some situations add danger to the occupants.

Years back my sister's home was burgled while she slept upstairs and her adult (30 something at the time) son slept
    in a basement room. There's no telling how violent the incident might have become if she had awakened or if my nephew
    had gone upstairs (as he thought about) when the cat started acting funny. I know my nephew owned an H&K revolver
    at that time, but I don't know if he had it with him.

All things considered it was probably best that no one interfered with or confronted those two BGs; who were caught shortly after. Both had priors.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'm a big fan of these units. However, I think used as you describe could in some situations add danger to the occupants.

Years back my sister's home was burgled while she slept upstairs and her adult (30 something at the time) son slept
    in a basement room. There's no telling how violent the incident might have become if she had awakened or if my nephew
    had gone upstairs (as he thought about) when the cat started acting funny. I know my nephew owned an H&K revolver
    at that time, but I don't know if he had it with him.

All things considered it was probably best that no one interfered with or confronted those two BGs; who were caught shortly after. Both had priors.
    Re: bold...

That's why I stipulated "...unless they have animals that would set it off like dogs or cats."

One would hope, if they had canines in the home, that the canines would alert to someone in the driveway; or, at least once the BGs were in the home... else the dogs are useless except as companions.

Cats... whole other story... they don't care... and might even be entertained to see you get mugged. Of course, a cat might trip a burglar, by weaving in and out of his feet, trying to get petted or fed.....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Re: bold...

That's why I stipulated "...unless they have animals that would set it off like dogs or cats."

One would hope, if they had canines in the home, that the canines would alert to someone in the driveway; or, at least once the BGs were in the home... else the dogs are useless except as companions.

Cats... whole other story... they don't care... and might even be entertained to see you get mugged. Of course, a cat might trip a burglar, by weaving in and out of his feet, trying to get petted or fed.....
    I'm not getting your point, but never mind--- I'm still struggling to keep from laughing after reading the joke posted yesterday about the burglar, parrot named Moses, and pit bull named Jesus.

Seriously, an interior alarm such as the commonly used motion detectors which only alert locally can --in some circumstances--be a hazard. In the example I gave it worked out best that my sister slept through the whole thing and
    my nephew decided to ignore the cat's agitation.

A motion detector alerting from the main floor would likely have lured one or both of them into a confrontation with the
    home invaders-- a confrontation no one wanted or needed.

Had my nephew gone upstairs to put the cat out, he would have walked right in on the BGs completely unprepared
    for what was happening. Even if he had gone upstairs armed with the H&K revolver, there is no telling what would have
    happened next and who the "winner(s)" might have been. As it turned out the BGs lost, the insurance company lost, and no one
    was harmed.

Oh, these BGs were smart. They waited till my sister replaced her stuff and then did it again. They got caught when one of their
    relatives inquired as to where all the new stuff they had came from, and called the cops on her own brother.
    tdave likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Good to hear of a family member reporting bad behavior instead of excusing it.

I'll put it real plain:

If you have animals that would set off a motion detector, DON'T GET ONE.

More: If the motion detector goes off... (the one you bought because you don't have a dog or cat that will set it off). Lock yourself in the bedroom, point your gun at the door, and call 911.

If you do have a dog, it should alert you that someone is in the house. If it doesn't, then you got a worthless lap dog.

If you have a cat, it might be entertained by a burglar... It certainly won't do anything to help you. And if you have a cat, or a worthless lap dog, don't buy a motion detector and put it in your living room....

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links