Pistol v revolver for seldom use

This is a discussion on Pistol v revolver for seldom use within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a total newbie with guns but feel obligated to protect my family. I will purchase a gun tomorrow but am somewhat torn on ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Pistol v revolver for seldom use

Question Pistol v revolver for seldom use

I am a total newbie with guns but feel obligated to protect my family. I will purchase a gun tomorrow but am somewhat torn on revolver vs a pistol. Specifically I am considering a Taurus revolver vs a glock. The reason I am favoring a revolver is reliability. I will not be touching the gun except a few times where I take it to the range to get comfortable within the first few months. God willing it will sit in my safe after that and I'll never need to use it. My questions for the resident experts are

1) should I consider a pistol (eg glock) if I will go years without touching the gun or just stick with a revolver

2) is a 38 special sufficient stopping power

FYI I would prefer a pump action shotgun but the wife is squeamish around guns and an out of sight revolver in a bedside biometric safe is the next best thing per my research. Also I have small children around.

Thanks for ur insight.
    ArmyCop likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    1) No
    2) Yes, but I would go with a medium frame S&W, Ruger, or Colt (even used would be better than Taurus IMHO).
    Wecome and good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I would seriously consider the Glock 19, in 9mm. Gen 3 if you can find one, Gen 4, if not.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    1) No
    2) Yes, but I would go with a medium frame S&W, Ruger, or Colt (even used would be better than Taurus IMHO).
    Wecome and good luck!
    AGREED
    if it's not conceivable for you to carry, you could even consider a 7 or 8 shot .357(it will accept .38's, but the bigger gun will recoil about the same as the smaller gun w.38). it will be a bigger gun, but will get you a few more shots. should be more accurate too. 3-4" barrel seems the right choice here.
    ...just thorwing an option.

The wife has a Taurus Public Defender that's done good so far. I have had S&W Colt and Ruger that have done good for decades.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I would seriously consider the Glock 19, in 9mm. Gen 3 if you can find one, Gen 4, if not.
    something that's admittedly gonna sit a safe for years? can't do that to a auto's magazine. sure, you can load the mag 90% and that SHOULD keep the spring form losing memory, but i wouldn't bet on that. for that kind of storage, revolver is the only choice. IMHO.

If you go the revolver route, you'd be better off with a Ruger or an S&W.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    If you are not going to use the gun often - learn how to clear jams, failures to fire, etc. - then I would suggest a revolver. They are much more forgiving to limp wristing, there is no "slide biting" if you cross your thumb behind the back strap, etc.

I would also suggest at least a K-Frame Smith & Wesson (Model 10, 19, 66, etc.) or a slightly heavier L-frame S&W with 7 shots, i.e., a S&W 686+ with a 4" barrel.

I have a 686+ for Home defense, and I load it with .38 special +p ammo.

I do strongly suggest you take it to the range every few months to stay familiar with it.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Welcome to DC Blkhawk. Lots of great folks who have a wealth of knowledge.
    mikesMP9c likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

If you are never going to use it, then just buy anything. It doesn't matter.
    Kavalander, PEF, BugDude and 5 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Welcome aboard from Orygun. Lots of good recommendations here. I recommend buying a Ruger or S&W revolver, shooting it every few months, and cleaning and oiling it often to prevent rust and seizing when you may need it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    something that's admittedly gonna sit a safe for years? can't do that to a auto's magazine. sure, you can load the mag 90% and that SHOULD keep the spring form losing memory, but i wouldn't bet on that. for that kind of storage, revolver is the only choice. IMHO.
    No. Thats an old wives tale. Keeping a mag under tension from being loaded is just fine. Its the constant loading & reloading that will wear out the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    No. Thats an old wives tale. Keeping a mag under tension from being loaded is just fine. Its the constant loading & reloading that will wear out the springs.
    When I was in the Army I shot 1911's and magazines that had been loaded and stored in ammo cans since WWII.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Blkhawk661 View Post
    I am a total newbie with guns but feel obligated to protect my family. I will purchase a gun tomorrow but am somewhat torn on revolver vs a pistol. Specifically I am considering a Taurus revolver vs a glock. The reason I am favoring a revolver is reliability. I will not be touching the gun except a few times where I take it to the range to get comfortable within the first few months. God willing it will sit in my safe after that and I'll never need to use it. My questions for the resident experts are

1) should I consider a pistol (eg glock) if I will go years without touching the gun or just stick with a revolver

2) is a 38 special sufficient stopping power

FYI I would prefer a pump action shotgun but the wife is squeamish around guns and an out of sight revolver in a bedside biometric safe is the next best thing per my research. Also I have small children around.

Thanks for ur insight.
    I would avoid the Taurus like the plague. Many people like them, I do not trust them. A revolver is not a bad choice for your use.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    10 - 1 he gets the Taurus.....
    OldVet likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links