The Home Defense set up (long, really)

This is a discussion on The Home Defense set up (long, really) within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recent threads have brought questions on what to do with Fake Cops bashing in the front door... or a domestic abuser doing the same... What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Home Defense set up (long, really)

Recent threads have brought questions on what to do with Fake Cops bashing in the front door... or a domestic abuser doing the same... What seems to be the best possible way to protect against either or both of those follows. It will also protect against home invasion by less than spetznatz trained thugs.

Is there an ideal? Maybe, maybe not... But what follows is what I consider close to it, for those of us who can't afford roll down steel doors above every window and cages that drop out of the ceiling inside of entries (the stuff of movies and perhaps the very wealthy).

Fortify entry doors and windows.
    All entry doors with Door Armor or Strikemaster. Figure about $100 a door. (3-5 doors most houses)
    All easily accessible windows and glass in doors with security film. $100 per window max (DIY). let's say 4-6 such panes (I have 9, but I have a lot of glass in a wall of windows...)

Master bedroom door (and master bedroom closet if walk in size).
    Solid core door (if you don't have one... figure about $150.00 per each (total of 2 if you're doing the closet)
    4-6 blind deadbolts per door. (Blind deadbolts have only the turn knob inside no knobs or keylocks on outside of door. as seen here)$14-20 each= $100 per door.

Your master bedroom door (and walk in closet, if you have one) is now like the door to a safe... several locking bolts around the perimeter of the door. Even a breaching shotgun blast to the knob, isn't going to get someone in... there are 4 more locks. If you are an accomplished "do-it-yourselfer" you can drill the turn knobs on the locks and put an actuating rod between all of the locks on each side of the door.... engaging all locks on each side with one pull.

A burner cell phone and a land line phone in your master bedroom. Burner cell phone is always on the charger, never leaves the room. $50. Even if you never use the minutes that come with it... all cell phones will always dial 911 for emergency calls. If you don't want the landline, you don't HAVE to have it, but you better get 3-5 bars on a cel.

Total outlay... worst case= $2050 give or take. Add some more if you want a defensive shotty for the master bedroom or closet. Lotta money, that (would buy some guns and ammo, certainly)... But you don't have to do it all at once...

Replacement cost insurance for your belongings on your homeowner's or renter's insurance another $50-100 per year.

How does all this protect you?

30%+ of home burglaries, home invasions, are through the front door. Another 20% through the garage, about 19% each from other ingress points (back door, window, basement). You buy time by fortifying ingress points. Lots of time (certainly enough to get everyone to the safe room, even if it were less than one minute of time bought), probably even enough time for LEO to get there before anyone got in (rural like me... not so much... I figure a 30 minute minimum for response time but the safe room covers that).

Worst case scenario in order of likelihood:

Several BGs coming to rob you or Fake Cops at your front door or No Knock Warrant being served at your home by mistake. All of which START by trying to take out your front door, with prejudice.

BANG BANG BANG on the front door, shoulders, feets, or battering ram.

Everyone to the safe room, lock door. Designated caller goes to phone, calls 911. Designated defender goes to HD firearm, trains it on bedroom door. Optionally, with walk in closet, all into the closet, lock that door. Gun on door, phone in hand.

911 will confirm if it is a no knock warrant being served... disarm, tell 911 you are doing so... and turn on lights and unlock doors... everybody with hands in plain sight. Police will replace broken entry door if the warrant was for the wrong address or otherwise in error...

Otherwise, stay in place... continue talking to 911. Await LEO. Gun on door. when LEO's arrival confirmed by 911 issue pass phrase to 911, 911 relays to responding officers, they relay to you, stand down.

If it was BGs at the door, and they stole anything, you have replacement cost insurance, you will get brand new stuff, and the doors will be repaired... But if it was BGs, they probably gave up long before LEO got there... AND NEVER EVEN GOT IN.

I know, you worked hard for your stuff... You have the right to defend it... But, how many of us have gone looking for the thing that went bump in the night, KNOWING FULL WELL it was NOTHING... but we strapped up anyway... and went hunting... I think we've all done it at least once.

If you're alone and you want to do that, fine... the outcome is on you... But what if you've got a family in the house... kids, or relatives visiting...

Now, as far as out on the street, this is Defensive Carry dot com... Carry whatever you want to defend yourself... but carry always... And be prepared.

These are my opinions only... do what you want... If you want to blow holes in my plans... please do, but IMO, you'll have a difficult time doing it within the confines of reality... no cell jammers, no full on assaults at all ingress points, no black helicopters and Armored SWAT vehicles or Tanks rolling and popping smoke through the side of the house... Show me the flaws, I'm willing to learn...

Edit to add: I know I've posted most of this before... in parts... Here's the whole megillah in one spot
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i like this.

I will add that most areas have places that seel recycled building materials. you can save a ton of $$$ buying solid-core doors used. We scored a bunch of 9' solid-core fire doors that had been harvested out of some go'vt building. i cut them down and installed them in every door on our home. i think i paid $100 for 11 doors? yu can also get your dead-bolts and sometimes even find steel-grate-ornamental window coverings for good prices used.

I really like the mutli-dead bolts on the bedroom door. i installed one, but i think two more are in order.

Thanks for the post.
    oakchas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    i like this.

I will add that most areas have places that seel recycled building materials. you can save a ton of $$$ buying solid-core doors used. We scored a bunch of 9' solid-core fire doors that had been harvested out of some go'vt building. i cut them down and installed them in every door on our home. i think i paid $100 for 11 doors? yu can also get your dead-bolts and sometimes even find steel-grate-ornamental window coverings for good prices used.

I really like the mutli-dead bolts on the bedroom door. i installed one, but i think two more are in order.

Thanks for the post.
    Of course my post was for new hardware all around... Anyone with an ounce of inspiration can find used/surplus deals on all but the window film and door jamb armor (and that door jamb armor can be made if you want to)...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Here's a converted CAD drawing of a "typical" 6 panel door I did showing the position for the blind deadbolts... Optionally, you could put deadbolts dead center top and dead center bottom, to go into the top jamb and the threshold.
    6p door.jpg

Blind deadbolts have no visible hole on the other side of the door so must be drilled with a forestner bit stopped before the outside of the door. Jamb has to be drilled for the bolts of course, and some reinforcement should be put behind the jamb; or at the very least, 2.5" screws though the strikeplates (which otherwise would be unnecessary).
    Kavalander likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    My idea is a very Bad Dog and a 12 GA auto loading shotgun w/00 Buck. My steel doors are already armored with reinforced bolts,hinges and 2 1/2 deadlocks. You May get in but you won`t get out in the same condition.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Under FL law, it would be cheaper to shoot them once they break in.

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Under FL law, it would be cheaper to shoot them once they break in.
    ... if you have bought enough time to access the defensive arms, that is.

Which is where beefing up the perimeter comes into play. Time can get very expensive, indeed, when there isn't enough of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good plan, one worth starting in stages at least for me. Thank you for sharing!
    oakchas likes this.

I don't know if any of y'all have heard of a Hillbilly deadbolt but it is very simple. I drilled a hole in my floor next to the door so that a screwdriver can be wedged tight to the door. I have a regular deadbolt but this just gives extra strength to the door you already have. Yes it can still be broken down but it takes longer. When the alarm goes off it gives me enough time to get to where I need to be if they decide they still want to come in my alarm goes off if my door is shaken. And then it time for the wife to call 911 so they can come and fill out the paper work.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Could you please provide more information on the window security screen? That is the area most vulnerable in my home. Big darn glass walk through doors.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Could you please provide more information on the window security screen? That is the area most vulnerable in my home. Big darn glass walk through doors.
    Any Double opening doors (French doors) on the outside also require some additional fortification, and the only jamb armoring product I know of for those is from Welcome to Safe Homes International!

There are security screens usually used with some frequency by hurricane prone homeowners... saves boarding up windows... to a great degree. and is also good at stopping burglars. a bit pricey... and not invisible...

one source here: Lansing Housing Products - Lansing, Iowa - LHP is a Nationwide U.S. manufacturer of products used in HUD and Affordable Housing Projects Steel Safety Screens, Aluminium Child Safety Screen, Vandal Screens, Steel Security Screens, Roll-Formed Steel

Window film is a different animal... Requires some time and patience to install yourself... but can be done pretty easily.

Here's a reasonable source for DIY window film: Safety and Security Window Film | Window Film and More.com

Here's a DIY site for film that has a pretty decent video of what window film can do... It's called the Storm Defender Video, and it's on the right side of this page click on it and save or play (it's a WMV file): Do It Yourself Window Security Film, Hurricane Film, Laminate, Security Window Tint - Tampa, Florida

Old Vet:
    It IS cheaper to shoot 'em if all you count is the price of the bullet, the temporary hearing loss from discharging a firearm in a closed space, clean up of the body and such... But it might get a bit more expensive if you are engaged in an actual firefight... and you, or a loved one in the home might get shot... Medical bills for one "amberlamps " (tip o the hat to epic beard guy) ride to the hospital, and subsequent surgical bullet removal, and whatever stay in the hospital, will quickly absorb any and all of the costs involved in home fortification... even beyond what I have described.

Securing a home in such a manner as I have described might also save you money every year on your homeowners or renters insurance. That savings might be a "wash" if you have to upgrade to replacement cost.

If you can keep them out in the first place, it's a whole lot cheaper in the long run... but that's only my opinion.

NOTE: I am NOT affiliated with any of the companies listed here, I've done some pretty extensive research, and these are only a few of the companies offering these products... but these places have some pretty good videos on what the products or similar ones can be expected to do if installed properly.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A couple of problems, French doors and doors with a lot of glass. A vigorous foot and you are in. The alarm will go off and that, hopefully, will buy me a little time. It also calls the cops. Bigger problem, a wife that is very visually oriented and will brook absolutely nothing that looks ugly, like screens, deadbolts or anything that interferes with the view. Do I carry in the house? Let's see, I think most home invasions occur in the home. The other non-motivating factor is that the city is fairly safe so aesthetics first-for now.
    Good post and a lot of good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45 View Post
    A couple of problems, French doors and doors with a lot of glass. A vigorous foot and you are in. The alarm will go off and that, hopefully, will buy me a little time. It also calls the cops. Bigger problem, a wife that is very visually oriented and will brook absolutely nothing that looks ugly, like screens, deadbolts or anything that interferes with the view. Do I carry in the house? Let's see, I think most home invasions occur in the home. The other non-motivating factor is that the city is fairly safe so aesthetics first-for now.
    Good post and a lot of good ideas
    Window film takes care of the glass, look at the link above. or here: Do It Yourself Window Security Film, Hurricane Film, Laminate, Security Window Tint - Tampa, Florida

video on right side of page for Storm Defender

There is door jamb armor type product for French doors that will work, probably not as well as a regular door, but will buy time. Also see link above, or directly here for french door: Safe Homes International - French Door Reinforcement Kit I don't know if other companies offer security kits for French doors.

Between the two, glass film and French door reinforcement, you should be better off than you were with a French Door. The film is nearly invisible, the door jamb armor is also. So won't bother the esthetics = wife pleasing beauty AND safety. And BTW, how does she deal with all those unsightly sensors on doors and windows?

Alarms are great when you are home, if they will wake you. If they are monitored, The Industry Group that represents the alarm industry admits to longer response times... Due to "middleman" receiving alarm, and subsequent calling of 911; and due to the fact that some false alarms in some areas, cause to responding LEOs to delay getting there "Probably another false alarm, sigh... put it on the list."

Just responded for clarification...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I am fixing to build my Retirement Home and have tons of info to get into the contract. This includes exterior doors that open outward not inward with reinforced hinges and strike plates, hard to kick one in when it opens outward. Reinforced hinges and strike plates on the master suite as others have said. The safe room (shop and reloading facility) with steel reinforced door that opens outward and in the terrace level with concrete walls on three sides with the fourth side built with solid 2x6's wood. Another issue the code folks don't like is dead bolt locks on all exterior doors keyed on both sides. Essentially the way you came in is the way you go out unless in a body bag.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I am fixing to build my Retirement Home and have tons of info to get into the contract. This includes exterior doors that open outward not inward with reinforced hinges and strike plates, hard to kick one in when it opens outward. Reinforced hinges and strike plates on the master suite as others have said. The safe room (shop and reloading facility) with steel reinforced door that opens outward and in the terrace level with concrete walls on three sides with the fourth side built with solid 2x6's wood. Another issue the code folks don't like is dead bolt locks on all exterior doors keyed on both sides. Essentially the way you came in is the way you go out unless in a body bag.
    Outward opening entry doors are more common in hurricane prone areas.

I think most of the big name window manufacturers also have a laminated storm glass available so the "film" is incorporated between the double panes... (Anderson, Pella, Jeld-Wen, maybe)

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    Blue Thunder likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links