Job opportunity of a lifetime.. In California

This is a discussion on Job opportunity of a lifetime.. In California within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The one passion that I have that is more important to me than guns, fishing, and hunting is fitness. I was just offered a job ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Job opportunity of a lifetime.. In California

Job opportunity of a lifetime.. In California

The one passion that I have that is more important to me than guns, fishing, and hunting is fitness. I was just offered a job (straight out of college) to manage a gym in LA. Any advice on the gun laws there? I know they are strict, but how strict? No chance of concealed carry? I do not have any high capacity rifles so that is not a problem for me, but I do have quite a few handguns. This is a huge move for me considering I am from florida where the gun laws are somewhat lax. Any advice helps and sure would appreciate advice from anyone that's gone through the same or similar scenario.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

J_B
    Gun laws suck here. Don't move to California. I am born and raised in Northern California. Its nice to be 1.5 hours from Lake Tahoe and The Bay BUT it sucks for gun rights.

Stay away
    bigpapa likes this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Dude. If you need the Job, take the Job. For LA County. You do not have much of a chance for a May Issue permit, unless you are very connected in a Progressivly Leftist way.

If you Live in Riverside and drive in, you have a very good chance of getting a permit from the Sheriff. Orange County is the second best bet, but, you will spend some time on the freeway = oxymoron.
    BenGoodLuck and Arborigine like this.

You may also want to compare the costs of living out there before committing to anything. It may seem like a lot of money, until you see how much rent/food/utilities are out there.

And let's not forget Income tax in Cali are out of this world (Specially when you're from Florida)
    Glock 23 Gen4
    • National Rifle Association Member
    • Gun Owners of America Member
    • Second Amendment Foundation Member

All good points above. I would never move there after living in Florida. You will have to deal with this guy in LA.
    BugDude likes this.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

Jobs come and jobs go...but living in a place that sucks can be like a life sentence. I've moved around to numerous states (NC, KY, VA, FL) and the first thing I do before even entertaining a job is look up the gun laws. That's like the gate keeper issue. Too many other jobs in places that don't infringe on my God given rights.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

There are big, thick books you can buy that help you navigate firearms ownership in California. Below are a few links, and you can easily find more. Very few of my firearms would be CA legal (e.g., "unregistered" M1A, Gen4 Glocks, AR-15 as currently configured). So, you need to be very careful as the state is a legal trap set for unsuspecting legal firearms owners from other states.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...f/cfl2013.pdf?
    Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    The California Gun Attorney - Avoid 10 Common "Legal Traps" for California Gun Owners
    BenGoodLuck and Aceoky like this.

Dream job is great. Being fit is great. Be the ONE on a given day and theres no way you have any idea when or if that will be, and denied your right to armed self defense if you need it?

Then youll be they guy that had a dream job right up till he was killed and be a very fit corpse. JMO but there is not enough money to get me to move to CA.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member
    I lived in California back in the 70s and always carried. Not sure about the laws then but upon 2 occasions I was VERY happy to be armed. I had moved there from Utah and it never occurred to me that there might be restrictions. Now I'm back in Utah with my guns.

Nowadays, well there are gyms everywhere. I'd keep looking for a while. I pay a personal trainer $50 per visit 3 times a week to come to my home (I have several medical issues complicating things). Maybe you don't even need to be affiliated with a gym. If you are internet savvy you could get your name out there and see what happens.
    Ghost1958 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Here's the deal, former NFL Super Bowl champ brendon ayanbadejo (my future bro in law)will be the one opening this gym. I feel like this will be a solid connection for any other business venture in the future. He will be paying for my room and board and even though I love my guns and it hurts to say this. Giving the guns up for a year or two just may be worth it. I just want to know what firearms I would be able to take with me and what I would be able to do with them.
    dangerranger likes this.

I will break it down like this (as I live close to CA) and read Calguns a lot :

1. Open carry is pretty much banned for rifles and handgun unless you are hunting or in a handful of small counties where you still can.
    2. For CC some counties like LA/San fran are a no go period unless you know the cop in charge .. Other like the capital are surprisingly near shall issue .. For most of them you have to have just cause to be issued the permit .. Like in the captial just saying for protection counts others vary ... This is key if your job is in a shall or near shall issue country you might be better off.
    3. For long guns CA has both a feterur ban and name ban .. If you rifle has drop free mags and a flash hider it is banned same with a pistol grip or a thump-hole stock etc... Now the deal with CA is if you have a bullet button on the gun and the gun has no more then a 10 round mag in it it is legal assuming it is not banned by name .. Or if the gun is made featureless ( ie no pistol grip folding stock /flash hider etc) you do not need a BB .. Also you can not own a shotgun with a folding stock and any semi auto shotgun with drop free mags is banned.. Also they mesure folding stocks dif I think the guns has to be over 30inc at the shortest firarble version.
    4. For handguns you can not own a thread barrel on a handgun or a mag outside the pistole grip ( you can but need a BB) assuming the gun was not banned by name ie the TEC9 etc.. Also you can not own any 410 handgun as they are SBS unless you make it a AOW..
    5. For mag the max is 10 round there is no way around this unless you are a cop.The only exp is a tube feed rifle like the 22 guns
    6.There is no pre ban guns or mags that does not mean anything
    7. Any rimfire gun ( 22/17) are not effect by the AWB so you can have drop free mags but you still can only have 10 round mags
    8.For NFA all you can own is AOW ( not a pen gun though) or c&r SBR or SBS c&r .. There is no real way around this unless you work for he gov or hollwood
    9. As of this year all guns handgun and long guns have to be res with the gov withing I think it is 30 or 60 day .

In CA you can only buy a gun from the Safe list which is dropping fast due to micro-stamping.. Unless the gun is PPT( at a FFL only) or SSE (made into single shot) this is the only way to get around this other then bringing them into the state ..

Also they fees to buy a gun are high with a lot of add on and I think now you need to pass a saftey test ( written and show you know the gun) for both handguns and rifles .

Also some counties like LA ban online ammo sales or some say you need to be fingerprinted to buy

Unless this is a dream job pass the laws are only getting worse there ..

What is key is this where you are going as a permit to carry is vaild anywhere in the state (even LA etc) so if you get one in hodunk nowhere it is still good . So you get the right county you are ok .

And you can still own most of the guns you want but neturted .. So you can still own AR/AK/G3 clones but you have to deal with either this if you want drop free mags this
    ANGLICO, BenGoodLuck and Aceoky like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

As it sounds like you want this job buy all the guns you want before you go it will be easier Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General is the list of the guns that may be sold in CA normal at a FFL ..Get whatever you want that is not on the list and not a AW ( ie thread barrel banned by name ..) ..Go on calguns and ask question .

For files as I hate BB look at the SKS rifles a plane sks is perfect legal even with a bayo( having a bayo or bayonet lug is legal in ca ) and a fix mag holding no more then 10 rounds. or a laucher like the yugo SKS have . Or get a ranch rifle with 10 round mags or the Benellie R1 the no pistole grip AR mag rifle or the unconverted Saiga rifle all leagal as there is no pisole grip/flash hider .

You can also not own any 50 cal rifle in CA unless they are not man portable with a semi auto m2 ..
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would add get guns that are hard to get there any Gen 4 glocks/ any xdm or xds guns the glock 42. Now most m&p guns or rugers .Or do what I would think is get guns that only hold 10 round so you dont feel bad like a sig 225/p6 220 guns or the 45 gap glocks etc .. Or wheel guns or 1911

As I said unless you gun said AR-15 on it or a few other things you can nomral own it ..

Also note they have banned lead ammo for hunting so bare that in mind .. Hunting is getting harder there now .

Quote Originally Posted by Dbdeeatch View Post
    Here's the deal, former NFL Super Bowl champ brendon ayanbadejo (my future bro in law)will be the one opening this gym. I feel like this will be a solid connection for any other business venture in the future. He will be paying for my room and board and even though I love my guns and it hurts to say this. Giving the guns up for a year or two just may be worth it. I just want to know what firearms I would be able to take with me and what I would be able to do with them.

A single shot bb gun and shoot chipmunks unless they are also protected in CA LOL
    Dbdeeatch and Lee 1973 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links