Looking to go a little bigger...

This is a discussion on Looking to go a little bigger... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wanting to get a shotgun for the home, but not sure what I should be looking for. What are your likes, dislikes, comments ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Looking to go a little bigger...

Looking to go a little bigger...

I am wanting to get a shotgun for the home, but not sure what I should be looking for. What are your likes, dislikes, comments and concerns regarding which model?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    If you can handle the recoil, any 12ga. will do. I'm partial to the Remington 870 with OO Buckshot shells.
    Recoil sensitive, 20ga. w/buckshot loads. You will have lots of opinions and choices. Remember you do have to aim a shotgun.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    If you can handle the recoil, any 12ga. will do. I'm partial to the Remington 870 with OO Buckshot shells.
    Recoil sensitive, 20ga. w/buckshot loads. You will have lots of opinions and choices. Remember you do have to aim a shotgun.
    Agreed. I like Mossberg, but there's nothing wrong with Remington. A good pump is hard to beat. 18 inch barrel.

VIP Member
    I have a .410 "home defense model" shotgun. I seem to be the only one here that thinks that is a good gun to have. BUT it is small and light weight enough that I can shoot it! Gramps has a couple big, bad shotguns. I can't even pick them up, let alone aim or shoot them.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    What both previous posters have said either Remington or Mossberg and you will not go wrong. Same for gauge 12ga gives you more shot but 20ga is less recoil.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Remington Law Enforcement - Shotguns - Model 870 Synthetic Shotguns

Or my fav the saiga 12 gauge with a 12 -20 round mag Saiga-12-02.jpg

But about any 18.5 12 gauge will work .. Try out some if you can.. Also you may want to look at ones that have changled barrels I know the 870 does so you can use them for hunting and skeet etc ( 20+ inch) and HD 18.6

Limbsaver pads or low recoile rounds do help ..
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Like most everyone has said. You can't go wrong with a 12GA, I have a Remington 870 Express With 00 Buck in my room. That's my home defense weapon if I don't have a pistol handy. Any name shot gun would serve you well.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

For self-defense/home-defense, a 20 ga is adequate for just about anyone. 00 buckshot is hard to beat. I recommend an 18" barrel with complete stock. A lot of people put pistol grips on their home defense shotguns, but it makes it very difficult to aim. Shotguns are not death rays and most only have a front sight. For proper sighting, the stock must be on your shoulder, with you eye behind the receiver. Your eye lines up with the barrel and you shoot where you look. Very difficult with a pistol grip! The same idea holds over from handguns...shoot the largest gun that you can handle. If you can handle the 12 ga, more power to you (pun intended!)
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    both my first and second wife have done quite well with 870 youth 20 ga.
    not as accessorizable(?), but...so what?

EDIT-see above aobut pistol grips. i am in this camp, though i do want to try out these new-fangled recoil absorbing stocks, but won't give one a thumbs up until i do.
    surefire7 and gatorbait51 like this.

It depends on your recoil tolerance. A semi-auto usually kicks less than a pump or break action shotgun but are more expensive. They are typically available in .410 caliber, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge, and 10 gauge. The 10 gauge are becoming rare to find since the 3" and 3 1/2" 12 gauge has as much or more power. Tactical handgrips help tame the recoil. The 10 gauge and longer 12 gauge shells have the most recoil which can be brutal for some people. If you can start with trying one in .410 and work up to see what your tolerance is, that would be great. Typically shotgun slugs have the most recoil. FBI tests recommend 12 gauge #0 buckshot or #1 buckshot is ideal. Smaller doesn't penetrate enough and larger buckshot over penetrates.

My choice for home defense is a Benelli SuperNova Tactical pump 12 gauge that will take up to 3 1/2" shells.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabGirl View Post
    I am wanting to get a shotgun for the home, but not sure what I should be looking for. What are your likes, dislikes, comments and concerns regarding which model?
    I hope I don't get in more trouble for this but...

that's what SHE SAID!!

I have a Rem 870 and Mossy 500 both in 12G. If I had my druthers plus some extra wherewithal I'd like another (I think it was a Beretta Nova) 12G with red dot and flashlight. The red dot is on account of my old tired eyes and the flashlight is to blind home invaders at oh dark thirty when they choose to come calling.

I live alone so I just keep 3 handguns handy.

By the way welcome to DC.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

If you're on a tight budget, the H&R Pardner Tactical is supposed to be a pretty decent clone of the 870, for about $200.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Woo Hoo who's the Babe on your arm there Molleur?? She looks kinda like Marilyn Monroe! Woo Hoo!

Aim a shotgun?!? ya do?? Ahh...just roll a flashbang at the BG then light them up!

(Just kidding-sarcasm Off)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

You have gotten good advice. I've worked with a lot of ladies who qualify with the 12 gauge on a regular basis. Mrs. tdave on the other hand can't stand 12 gauge. If you try one a few things to remember
    1) A pistol grip without a shoulder stock allows for some of the most spectacular misses you can imagine
    2) Hold the shotgun firmly into your shoulder. This will make recoil much more tolerable, some shooters try to hold the weapon away from their shoulder. This will hurt!
    3) Lean forward into your stance you this also helps manage recoil.
    4) Strictly personal preference but I prefer a light mounted on my shotgun for HD duty.
    5) Enjoy a shotgun is fun!
    ScarabGirl likes this.

VIP Member
    Shooter Granny is right about a .410, too they will indeed do job. I like the 20 gauge though, especially with recoil issues
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links