Wife's decision on a gun

This is a discussion on Wife's decision on a gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife is a 5'2" petite size 4 and when she grew up she was never exposed to firearms that much even though her father ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Wife's decision on a gun

VIP Member

Wife's decision on a gun

My wife is a 5'2" petite size 4 and when she grew up she was never exposed to firearms that much even though her father was a hunter with bird dogs, shotguns and rifles, But never pistols. We have discussed her carrying a pistol in the past when she became concerned about the rise in crime in our areas. Anyway I have told her that she needs a center fire pistol of some sort for protection. She is not anti gun but is timid due to not being very mechanical inclined in operations and safety. I have showed her revolvers and auto loaders I have but she continues to like a colt single action 22lr I have here saying that's it's not confusing to use. I think she feel safer knowing that she has to manual cock the hammer to pull the trigger for it to fire. She states that it is easier for her to understand so that's that. I feel there no changing her stubborn mind. She also likes my ruger stainless steel vaquero 45lc but it recoils to much for her. I need to get her out of the cowgirl mind frame that, that mode is to slow to get into action if needed. She really needs a j frame revolver but you start showing her big 38 bullets and she backs off again. Leave her alone in her decision?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

have you looked at a 25 or 32 cal? While not ideal would be better than rimfire IMO and a whole lot better than a stick if needed :)

Take her to the range and let her shot a few different guns.
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    My wife was the same way. She had to "learn" the enjoyment of shooting. Alloy J frames and full pop .38 defensive loads can be quite a handful. If she can "Have Fun" with a J frame and light target loads, that is a good start.
    Orange Boy and Kavalander like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member
    I second what oldskeetshooter said. The little J frame S&Ws are not a lot of fun to shoot. Great carry pieces though. Let her shoot the .22 until she is ready to move up. She can then try a few different wheel guns and find one she likes.
    Ianthin likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

The decision has to be hers. Get her some range time with different guns. Allow her to decide what's best for her. Don't try to make the decision for her on what you think is best. The best gun for SD, is the one a person is comfortable and confident with. My wife is only 5 feet. She eventually picked S&W 642, but she chose it herself. I said nothing to her about anything. That is the best I can tell you, as to my experience. IMHO. Good luck, Be Safe
    Kavalander and jenatron like this.

Get it for her and let her work her way up to being comfortable with something bigger. A sure fire way to turn someone off of carrying a firearm is to throw them in the fire. They will quickly jump out of the fire. Slowly warm them up and they will stick around and still end up in the same situation that you wanted them to be in. My wife didn't want to carry for the longest time. Slowly warmed her up over about 4 years and she's now stealing all my guns to use.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Wives are very tricky to drive. They do best when left alone at the wheel. I like the idea of taking her out to try some different weapons. I suggest some 380's with enough beef to absorb the recoil. Still a 22 is better than mace. But exposure then let her make her own decision is definitely the way to go. Shouldn't be to hard to suggest she get some more education on the topic. And once she has tried out several she can make the choice. If she still wants the 22 DO NOT ARGUE
    jscottjr, Kavalander and Ianthin like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Wives are very tricky to drive. They do best when left alone at the wheel. I like the idea of taking her out to try some different weapons. I suggest some 380's with enough beef to absorb the recoil. Still a 22 is better than mace. But exposure then let her make her own decision is definitely the way to go. Shouldn't be to hard to suggest she get some more education on the topic. And once she has tried out several she can make the choice. If she still wants the 22 DO NOT ARGUE
    pshhh my wife does what I tell her to! At least when I tell her to do what she wants lol
    luvmy40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    +1 that a .22 SA i better than angry words. SA revolvers won the west so they can't be THAT useless in a fight...just sayin'

how about odd balls? .32 H&R mag comes to mind. even a .22 WMR is better than a .22LR. S&W makes an 8 shot 22WMR that could be a good SD choice. the real advantage of 22 wmr is it has a properly seated, jacketed, bullet. not a swaged job like a LR. gives bullet designers a lot more to work with.

these are all still options for revolvers. i wouldn't even try to intorduce her to autopistols until she "climbs a few rungs" on the revolver ladder.

my wife's first handgun was a Ruger 22/45. it was the only thing she could practically shoot for over a year. only in the last 6 months or so has she started exploring "real" guns like 9mm auto's and my 38 snub and such. We got her a Kahr 9mm, and she will carry it, but often times i still catch the Ruger in her purse, and i am fine with that, i know she could put all ten rounds out of that ruger into someones face, quick and accurate. she still a little unconfident w/9mm.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

As Kav said look at somthing like a LCR in 22mag or the old jframe in 32 mag or 22 to start ..

I will say let here shoot a ruger with 38s in it .. Very soft gun verus say a airweight ...

And they make lower caliber single actions I think.. How about a NAA 22mag small and cute if you will and still sigle action..

Also really look hard at 32 tomcat very simply to use no slide to rack just pop up barrel and go.. And it is imop a soft gun esp with houge on it .. And 32 is no joke some rounds will go though soft armor at close range...191_m.jpg
    ETXhiker and Kavalander like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    <snip> she continues to like a colt single action 22lr I have here saying that's it's not confusing to use. I think she feel safer knowing that she has to manual cock the hammer to pull the trigger for it to fire.<snip>
    How does she plan to decock the single action if it turns out she doesn't need to shoot?

John W in SC

VIP Member
    Go at your wife's pace. She wants to shoot the 22 shoot the 22. If you push her she may turn away from guns altogether.
    Czombie, denclaste, OD* and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    How does she plan to decock the single action if it turns out she doesn't need to shoot?

John W in SC
    on a modern SA revolver? pretty easily i should hope. not sure of my dates exactly, but they started putting transfer bars in revolvers as early as the late 70's, at least, right?

and Wrongrecroom is right on track, i forgot about the NAA 22 mag. excellent choice for that chambering, just not the folding ones....
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    on a modern SA revolver? pretty easily i should hope. not sure of my dates exactly, but they started putting transfer bars in revolvers as early as the late 70's, at least, right?

and Wrongrecroom is right on track, i forgot about the NAA 22 mag. excellent choice for that chambering, just not the folding ones....

Yeah the one that cane be made to fire 22lr and 22mag would be great or the pug in 22mag imop ..

This would be a good carry gun imop it has nightsigts and a heavy duty grip and is 22 mag or you can have them swap it to 22lr.. Night sights and a good grip are good in my book North American Arms PUG-T 1" BARREL TRITIUM SIGHTS
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2a3vck&s=6

Do check on the single action some may be tradition stly and have no safety .. As hickcock 45 said just carry 5 not 6 and rest on empty chamber imop
    Texron likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links