How many times do I have to tell you?

This is a discussion on How many times do I have to tell you? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...The same story? All the high tech security cameras, signs, remote locks, and gizmos won't stop burglars, home invaders, drug addled sneak thieves, or any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How many times do I have to tell you?

...The same story?

All the high tech security cameras, signs, remote locks, and gizmos won't stop burglars, home invaders, drug addled sneak thieves, or any other thug from coming in and taking what he wants.

Keep them out in the first place....

Door jamb armor, window security film, a safe room (for home invasions), will keep the bad guys out. That is the first priority... Add the techno gee-gaws later...

Alarm systems that are loud enough to wake you are good, if they also call the cops, fine... But not so they can draw your chalk outline on the rug.

Protect yourself first, your stuff second, and tell the authorities (via the alarm) last.

Story here: OKC Home Invasion Suspect Caught On Camera - News9.com

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    rockinglock32 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I feel bad for the homeowner, but along with his investment in hi-tech video and wireless stuff, you think he'd upgrade his door! Seriously - a cheap panel door with lots of glass? A Cub Scout could defeat that inside of a few heartbeats. "Technology" isn't always the answer. I'd spend more money on keeping the creeps outside, and getting good video of them inside would be secondary.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Honestly bottom line is if you arent there and they have much time nothing you do will stop determined BGs from getting in. You can slow them down, take their pictures and if you live in or near town have your alarm call the PD who will likely wot be in a huge rush to get there as Ive not seen any home alarms that dont false alarm for any number of reasons and LE sort of figure on it. But they may rush there and catch somebody.

In the country if it wakes you up and your home all well and good. If you arent the alarm can likely bray for hours and nobody check it. And the bg will get in if he wants in. May sweat a little more doing it but he will still get in.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Honestly bottom line is if you arent there and they have much time nothing you do will stop determined BGs from getting in. You can slow them down, take their pictures and if you live in or near town have your alarm call the PD who will likely wot be in a huge rush to get there as Ive not seen any home alarms that dont false alarm for any number of reasons and LE sort of figure on it. But they may rush there and catch somebody.

In the country if it wakes you up and your home all well and good. If you arent the alarm can likely bray for hours and nobody check it. And the bg will get in if he wants in. May sweat a little more doing it but he will still get in.
    Sure, given enough time if they want it bad enough... They can get by anything.

The longer it takes, the more risk of being caught.

I can almost guarantee I can get into a house with door jamb armor in less than a minute through the armored door. And without making a lot of noise. Or any easily visible broken parts...

But, MOST thieves want in and out in a hurry... And don't know what I know.

Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It's pretty tough to stop determined dirtbags from entering a dwelling. I'm fortunate in that someone is almost always home at our place, we have a large subdivision with few entrances, lots of cop cars on different streets, with woods and inhabited 5 acre plots around the sub. I'm fully retired and armed at all times, and our two dogs total 260 lbs of obstacles. We know most who live around us and we watch each other's dwellings. We've been here 10 years now, and have only had one incident of car burglaries on one night...they did catch the dirtbags responsible.
    Other than our huge TV, most other valuables are in two safes if we run somewhere for short trips. I'm pretty aware of who is riding/walking thru the sub...very few strangers. I feel fairly secure here.
    Attention dirtbags: pick another place to case out.
    surefire7, tdave, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Oh, and one other thing... I love my guns... and am most often armed at all times... but the gun is only a tool... and sometime or another, you may need it and not have it... or you may be faced with someone who got the drop on you... Don't EVER give up.

Never say die, you can survive and prevail without a gun, even against a gun.. even against 3 to 2 odds... even if the bad guy is bigger stronger quicker and armed....

These people did... and lived to tell the tale..:Police: Residents Fight Back During Home Invasion

Make up your mind to not be a victim. Make up your mind to survive. Pettit did (unarmed). And you can too... Lance Thomas did (armed), and you can too.

Carry a gun, fine. But PROTECT yourself so you don't have to use it. DEFEND yourself. DO NOT BE A VICTIM.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

My alarm will call the cops and they will come (eventually), it does wake me up right now. I know that I am the first, middle and last line of defense in my home. I have a wife that cares more for decorative look than defense so 4 out of the 5 doors on the ground floor can be defeated with a good kick. That said, once in they have find us and that gives me the advantage.

Yep, most burlary entries are through a kicked in door. I've learned that lesson the hard way myself. Had a nice french door in the back of our home. Took the 17 year old punk kid one kick to get inside. Lucky for me, we had great neighbors and the scum was caught in my house by the cops.

Now all my doors are re-inforced where it's going to take some serious work to get in. Most doors are held in place with tiny screws on the hinges and door strike plates that simply go into the 1" wood frame. All my hinges and door strikes are reinforced with backing plates behind the door frame and are also screwed in with lag bolts that go all the way into the 2x4 framing behind the door jam. If you have not done this minimum step, your just one kick away from having someone in your home.

Loud barking dog, can't be beat. Been told by many a thief that a possible dog encounter is something they would rather not deal with if they can just move on to another house without a dog.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

OLD SAYING locks are for honest people !
    Parrisk likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Unless you live in a jail cell anyone can get in. You have windows, glass breaks easily. All these alarms that alert the police will do no good especially if you are rural. I have alarms at windows, perimeter alarms all around the house and inside my attached garage. All these only serve to alert me, then the gun takes over. If I'm not home as this guy was, no alarm will do any good and no hardened door is any good if you have windows. If they want in they will get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Unless you live in a jail cell anyone can get in. You have windows, glass breaks easily. All these alarms that alert the police will do no good especially if you are rural. I have alarms at windows, perimeter alarms all around the house and inside my attached garage. All these only serve to alert me, then the gun takes over. If I'm not home as this guy was, no alarm will do any good and no hardened door is any good if you have windows. If they want in they will get in.
    Window film WILL fix the window problem.

And, please turn in your gun... It's one of those that has a mind of its own... It's fine now, I mean, you've got it trained and all... But a gun that "takes over" is a potential menace to society... Please turn it in and get a mindless gun you personally have to control...

Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Another subscriber to dogs for home security. I have had burglars tell me that some people put out a set of food and water dishes to fake it. However no dog "leavings" in the yard they come in anyway.

Here's another case for securing your doors... KEEP THEM OUT.

Victim in this case had drugs in the house... But regardless, the invasion M.O. is the same as is being used in some home invasions...

Perp banged on front door... victim goes to answer it, and another invader kicks in the back door and comes in shooting... Victim got nicked in the belly by gunfire but drew his own weapon to defend.. and then went to jail hisownself for the drugs in the house.

Story here

Secure your doors with door jamb armoring. Don't answer the door unarmed... Even if you don't have illegal items in your home, you can be a target, and you can even be the wrong target... and still prevail.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oh, and use your locks (and alarm if you have one) even when you're at home... duh.

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links