Flying with a firearm, part deux

This is a discussion on Flying with a firearm, part deux within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glockman10mm posted a thread last week about flying with a firearm that, along with a lot of the other posts, inspired me to bring along ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By RickyD
  • 1 Post By noway2
  • 1 Post By RickyD
  • 1 Post By Crescentstar

Thread: Flying with a firearm, part deux

Distinguished Member

Flying with a firearm, part deux

Glockman10mm posted a thread last week about flying with a firearm that, along with a lot of the other posts, inspired me to bring along a gun (for the first time) on my trip this week. I am happy to report that today I was successful in transporting my Kahr PM9 with 2 magazines and 1 box of ammo from GA to UT. The gun was of course unloaded and ammunition was transported in an OEM box placed inside my transport case.

A few notes of interest: I decided to check the gun in it's own separate case after reviewing Delta's rules - they allow you to transport in a hard case stored inside of a larger soft sided suitcase, but they want you to sign a waiver if you do it that way. By transporting it in it's own separate case I received a baggage claim check and had no waivers. I picked up a smaller Pelican brand case and a couple of Master Lock padlocks and the combination worked great. I should also note that my flight was direct - if I had any type of layover I would have chosen to do it another way.

I was originally somewhat worried that the case would scream GUN! But no one seemed to notice at all. I think that most people had no idea what was in the case (we don't call them sheep for no reason). I was not asked to see the firearm by Delta or TSA. They did ask me to sign a form attesting to the fact that the gun was unloaded. They had me place a copy of the attestation inside the case with the gun. I covered the gun and other contents of the case with a piece of foam rubber before I left this morning, so when I opened the case nothing was visible. I placed the card on top of the piece of foam, closed it back up and went on my way. I have status with Delta and all of my checked luggage is always marked priority, so the gun came out about the same time and on the same conveyor as the rest of my luggage after we landed. I was waiting for it and actually caught the case before it hit the bottom of the conveyor belt.

Other actions I took included printing out copies of the rules for both Delta and TSA - I didn't need them, but I had them anyway. I also saved a copy of the section of the UT code regarding carry of a firearm on my iPad and spent a little time on the state website last night to review the FAQ's. Incidentally, UT is apparently a great gun state - the rules seem very gun friendly.

I have to admit that this is the first time in a long time that I flew somewhere and didn't feel naked without a gun when I landed!

Thanks Gman for the original post and to everyone else for all of the good information!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Properly handled, the only "tell" that could be remotely scream "gun" in an obvious way would be that you had actual, non TSA, locks on your luggage. Of course this requires someone to be familiar with the rules regarding flying with firearms to understand the exception and then they have to notice it. As you said, their not called sheep for no reason and most of them are deliberately and actively in condition white and pretending to be blind in the process.

On my last trip with a firearm, I was joined for breakfast by a coworker at the hotel and he commented on having actual locks. When pressured how I got away with it, I just said there are exceptions. He smiled at me. A little later, we were riding in the car on the way back to the airport, he was driving, I was in the back, and my boss was up front with him. I had dozed off and just woken up, but didn't visibly stir when I swear I heard him say to my boss, "Hey did you know that Noway2 brought his gun with him?" My boss didn't say a word. Of course, they are both gun owners and my coworker has said that he thinks everybody should carry one.

A few things to note. One, there was nothing illegal about having it. Two the trip was overnight and over a weekend any "work place" type prohibition (of which I am aware of none except AT the physical workplace) would have impacted my temporary residence. Three, I didn't carry during any work function and it remained unloaded, locked in my luggage, in the trunk of the car.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I am happy to report that my return flight was equally uneventful and checking the gun in Salt Lake City was much the same as in Atlanta.

One thing I did think about was the case - it is clearly something different even to the uninformed if they take a look. There was a woman on a parking shuttle that kept staring at the locked case at my feet. I am traveling again this week and I think this time around I am going to pack a duffle bag in my luggage and when I get to my destination I will put the gun case into a duffle bag to make it a little less obvious. This wuld help with a work situation as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Pelican cases are widely used for all kinds of equipment, so you picked a good diversion.
    RickyD likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Links