Need advice on driveway infrared motion sensors

This is a discussion on Need advice on driveway infrared motion sensors within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm setting up one of those trap cages in my back yard to catch some of the local neighborhood varmint, and I'd like to set ...

Thread: Need advice on driveway infrared motion sensors

New Member Array bradleyheathhay's Avatar

Need advice on driveway infrared motion sensors

I'm setting up one of those trap cages in my back yard to catch some of the local neighborhood varmint, and I'd like to set up some kind of detection and alert system that lets me know when something gets in the cage. Searching eBay yields a number of 'remote driveway motion detectors' that send an alert signal to a box inside your house. Here's one...

Driveway Patrol Garage Motion Sensor Alarm Infrared Wireless Alert Secure System | eBay

The trap cage itself is going to be set up inside a large dog house basically so the sensor will have less visual noise to deal with and thus be less likely to give a false positive alarm. Question is...I know this type of sensor is typically used for detecting things a number of feet away, but will it also detect something like a possum say 6 inches in front of it?

Also, if there's a better device I could use that you know of (but still inexpensive) please let me know.

I'm all ears, thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have had three or so of those - and they always failed fairly quickly, regardless of the climate. They gave me false negatives often also. I was not happy with them regardless of price.

This company's products have served me well: Skylink Products | Garage Door Openers and Accessories | Home Automation | Wireless Security / Alert System | Emergency Dialers | Swing Door Opener |

Look at their alarm and alert systems.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 23rd, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    First, welcome to DC forum! Like the others have said the ones I have had were very weather sensitive. Just a thought have you got a plan if catch a skunk in your trap? If not you WILL need a plan! Don't ask how I know this Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Don't ask how I know this
    I see a story there

I have an am using the chamberlin garage companies version its on ebay for 60 bucks works great comes with one sensor you can add up to 5 has a 600 ft range each sensor shoots a beam 88 feet anything breaks it beeps in house.

Links