GA: Call 911, hope you get thru...

This is a discussion on GA: Call 911, hope you get thru... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Woman calls 911, 3 times... No dispatcher answered... Her alarm company called 911, and got thru, police arrived, in time to find bullet casings... Dispatch ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: GA: Call 911, hope you get thru...

Woman calls 911, 3 times... No dispatcher answered... Her alarm company called 911, and got thru, police arrived, in time to find bullet casings...

Dispatch confirms the 3 calls, though in a panic, the woman didn't wait very long for a dispatcher, until the 3rd call, but even a minute plus wasn't long enough to get thru.... She gave up and hid....

Story here: Woman can't get through to 911 during home invasion - CBS46 News

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    CIBMike and gatorbait51 like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    You know what they say... when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

And every time she hung up she moved herself to the back of the line.

Modern 9-1-1 centers with multiple operators use automatic call distribution systems. As each 9-1-1 call comes in it goes to the end of the line. So before her call got picked up two other operators were processing her hang ups. So not only did her call take longer to process but she delayed every other emergency call that goes into that call center because instead of a single person handling her call she tied up three call takers.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

And even if she got ahold of them, doesn't mean anyone can get there in time to help her. Putting your life in the hands of a telephone and someone else on the other end of the line, is extremely niave and optimistic.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    And every time she hung up she moved herself to the back of the line.

Modern 9-1-1 centers with multiple operators use automatic call distribution systems. As each 9-1-1 call comes in it goes to the end of the line. So before her call got picked up two other operators were processing her hang ups. So not only did her call take longer to process but she delayed every other emergency call that goes into that call center because instead of a single person handling her call she tied up three call takers.
    Absolutely correct. Every 911 hangup call requires a call back, so each time she hung up, a process was started that required an operator to call the phone back, tying up three 911 operators that could have been taking other calls.

The way telephones are set up, 10 rings equals 60 seconds, so she hung up twice when the phone wasn't answered on the first ring and then waited 13 rings on her third try before hanging up again. Although her first two hang-ups seem a little premature, to me, she certainly stuck it out the third time, and there is no reasonable answer as to why her call was not answered in a minute and twenty-one seconds.

I know the records are maintained, and I would be interested to find out how long the average delay is in answering 911 calls in DeKalb County.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Any agency or municipality that is NOT prepared to fully staff, and equip a 9-1-1 center should leave it to an agency that is properly prepared to do it. 911 calls should always be answered by a human, by the third ring. This isnt someone calling for tech support because their exercise maching had left over parts after assembly.

9-1-1 cant be efficient. Saving money cant be the goal of a 9-1-1 center. There are things more important than money. Human lives are one. 9-1-1 is set up as a life saving measure, not as a convenience. This is common sense, it's not hard to understand. Even if she didnt get through, they should have dispatched a car based on her three calls, through the reverse directory (caller ID). This is a total failure by the municipality.

VIP Member
    Any agency or municipality that is NOT prepared to fully staff, and equip a 9-1-1 center should leave it to an agency that is properly prepared to do it. 911 calls should always be answered by a human, by the third ring. This isnt someone calling for tech support because their exercise maching had left over parts after assembly.
    And who might that be? The larger city with even more call volume who would redirect the call back to that municipality that the call originated from. 911 and other emergency call systems rely highly on automation which allows fewer operators to handle more calls. Yes providing the most service for the least amount of money is the goal. Budgets are strained enough as they are. Many small to mid size city may have 10 officers on the street with one or two dispatchers running police, fire, ambulance in addition to daytime routine calls. As stated everytime she hung up she went to the back of the line and started over. Yes depending on the number of operators and the type of system there could be an automated call back or by a real person however it takes time.

People flood 911 all the time with non emergency "my cat is sick" type calls. It does flood the system, it does take away resources needed from true emergencies. It's not perfect but it is all we got.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    And even if she got ahold of them, doesn't mean anyone can get there in time to help her. Putting your life in the hands of a telephone and someone else on the other end of the line, is extremely niave and optimistic.

That's what people have been conditioned to do by nanny state govt. Call 911 to solve all your problems and they'll save you. Oh, and told by this administration to crap your pants and vomit for assault/rape prevention.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

TRX
    I've had to call 911 three times in the last 25 years. Each time, I got "please hold", and then... eventually, I hung up and tried again. One time, after the third call, it still took 35 minutes for them to pass the information on to the police. I know this, because the officer was standing right beside me when he got the call on his radio. He'd been driving by and stopped when he saw the scene.

The local authorities claim people "misuse" the 911 number, but for 20 years after 911 service went into effect, the police, fire, and city ambulance numbers became UNLISTED. If you needed to call about a ticket, or a burn ban, or other information, the only way to get through was 911. Well, DUH... the direct-dial numbers quietly went back in the phone book some years ago, but a full generation at least knows no other number than 911.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Call 9-1-1 and then Pizza Hut and see who shows up first.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had a 911 call take six rings for the dispatcher to respond. I usually won't wait six rings for a recorder before hanging up. Then I could hear them debating which fire station to have respond (very close to county line). Meanwhile the vehicle was totally consumed.

In 911's defense, I've had them answer on the second ring many times and LE show up in 2-3 minutes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As the old adage goes: hope is not a plan. At least, it's not a very reliable or practical one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Call 9-1-1 and then Pizza Hut and see who shows up first.

Jimmy Johns beats both... They're "Freaky Fast!"
    blitzburgh, OldVet and sdprof like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    The local authorities claim people "misuse" the 911 number, but for 20 years after 911 service went into effect, the police, fire, and city ambulance numbers became UNLISTED. If you needed to call about a ticket, or a burn ban, or other information, the only way to get through was 911. Well, DUH... the direct-dial numbers quietly went back in the phone book some years ago, but a full generation at least knows no other number than 911.
    It's true that it can be abused. I was speaking to a Captain one day on another matter and he remarked that my address seemed "very... uh..(ahem) familiar" and wondered if I was one of their frequent customers.
    I thought for a moment and told him my next door neighbor was "Miss Jane" and he mouthed her last name silently. I nodded and asked if he was familiar with her. His shook his head and waved me off with a hand so as to say he couldn't talk about that, but when I asked if it was true that she had called 911 services almost 100 times in a two-year period he looked up as though counting and said that it seemed just about right.

She's toned down a bit, I don't see the firetruck/EMS at her place but about once every 6-weeks or so now.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Woman calls 911, 3 times... No dispatcher answered... Her alarm company called 911, and got thru, police arrived, in time to find bullet casings...

Dispatch confirms the 3 calls, though in a panic, the woman didn't wait very long for a dispatcher, until the 3rd call, but even a minute plus wasn't long enough to get thru.... She gave up and hid....

Story here: Woman can't get through to 911 during home invasion - CBS46 News

This was posted from my mobile device, links may be for mobile... Deal with it!
    This may be a clue that a phone is A tool for dealing with an unpleasant situation but not always the BEST tool.
    The easy way is always mined.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links