Shooting in my Neighborhood Today

This is a discussion on Shooting in my Neighborhood Today within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It was a beautiful day today in Wetumpka, AL, until late this afternoon... I was doing some reorganizing of the house and had to take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Shooting in my Neighborhood Today

Exclamation Shooting in my Neighborhood Today

It was a beautiful day today in Wetumpka, AL, until late this afternoon...

I was doing some reorganizing of the house and had to take out some trash. While returning back from the trashcan I hear someone firing a lot of what sounded like 9mm very close by.

My daughter was outside and came running back to the house saying she saw a man with a gun pointing it at a crowd of people about two blocks away!

I got everyone inside and called 911. They were well aware of the event, dispatched officers and got me off the phone quickly.

I then got my shotgun because according to my daughter, the guy was sorta' heading our way.

Next I put on my police scanner and was able to determine that they caught the guy, one person was shot multiple times and another was grazed by a bullet.

The incident occurred three blocks away at a crowded park and after he fired all his shots, the folks in the park chased after him. What my daughter saw was him being chased and then pointing the gun at the crowd to keep them back.

I had my pistol already on me, but I wanted something bigger as I had no idea what might be happening. Looks like I need to keep a long gun downstairs as well now...

What's scarier is that this is a nice neighborhood and this is a VERY rare incident. Just goes to show you that bad things can happen anywhere, anytime. Glad I was ready to fight back if need be. Thank God I didn't have to though!
    OD*, 5lima30ret, Aceoky and 13 others like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Glad you and yours weren't injured.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Anywhere, any time. Glad you and yours are safe. I do like the idea of having a scanner to follow the action.
    Aceoky, tdave, airslot and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Ugh...hate to hear this kind of news. Your daughter was wise to run to Daddy. You were wise to be prepared. We are all thankful that you both are OK.
    Aceoky, Ghost1958, tdave and 2 others like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member
    Very scary! Glad you and your family are OK!

This is the reason I carry ALWAYS (where legal). I am sitting on the back porch right now enjoying a great cuban cigar and still have a gun on my hip. I keep one on me while I work from home every day as well - and I live in a gated neighborhood.

As noted before, any time and any place.

It was very surreal.

When all was said and done, I thought, "Wow, I just heard someone get shot."

Three blocks away is too close. One neighbor lady near the scene had a stray round come into her home.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member
    A story for you.

I had just left Active Duty after 21 years in the USMC and was on terminal leave with an effective retirement date of 1 July, 10 days away. Wife was visiting relatives, kids still off at college and I was alone with the dogs. I was in bed asleep/half awake when gun fire erupts in the alleyway behind my house (about 20 yards) I was temp renting. I heard two rounds "click" through the walls. As I am laying on the floor, 1911 in my hands, all I could think about was, "Damn, I am going to get shot here, in bed, not in combat, right before I get to retire completely!"

Turns out, a kid, (16 years old) was being chased by the cops. The kid turned and fired one shot from a 22 pistol and the 4 police returned fire...........63 times.........No human was hit in any of the exchange and the kid got away and was turned in by his Grandfather the next day after he caught the kid trying to sneak the Ruger Mk1 back into his home. 64 shots fired in a narrow alleyway in a residential area with lots of closely spaced little homes with folks in them at midnight, nobody hit.

No moral to this story and no point other than sharing.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Mano, I am glad that you and yours are okay.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

The one positive thing I've noticed is that you folks here understand that stuff like this happens and that we're all prepared for the worst the best we can.

The reactions on Facebook are so different...

Everyone there immediately tells me to move away or that they won't ever visit our town again. totally different and fearful mindset...

Wetumpka is a great little town and our crime rate is extremely low. We have a great, proactive police force and I know the Chief and Mayor personally.

Just an interesting perspective between "us" and "them".
    darbo, tdave, Aceoky and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    The one positive thing I've noticed is that you folks here understand that stuff like this happens and that we're all prepared for the worst the best we can.

The reactions on Facebook are so different...

Everyone there immediately tells me to move away or that they won't ever visit our town again. totally different and fearful mindset...

Wetumpka is a great little town and our crime rate is extremely low. We have a great, proactive police force and I know the Chief and Mayor personally.

Just an interesting perspective between "us" and "them".
    There are 2 types of people in this world - sheep and sheep dogs. Those of us here have made the choice to be in the minority and actually take control our destiny to the extent possible.

Scary situation! I'm glad you and your family are safe!
    gatorbait51 and mano3 like this.

Glad you and yours are ok. I don't need to tell you but give the little girl an extra hug.

Glad you are ok.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    A story for you.

I had just left Active Duty after 21 years in the USMC and was on terminal leave with an effective retirement date of 1 July, 10 days away. Wife was visiting relatives, kids still off at college and I was alone with the dogs. I was in bed asleep/half awake when gun fire erupts in the alleyway behind my house (about 20 yards) I was temp renting. I heard two rounds "click" through the walls. As I am laying on the floor, 1911 in my hands, all I could think about was, "Damn, I am going to get shot here, in bed, not in combat, right before I get to retire completely!"

Turns out, a kid, (16 years old) was being chased by the cops. The kid turned and fired one shot from a 22 pistol and the 4 police returned fire...........63 times.........No human was hit in any of the exchange and the kid got away and was turned in by his Grandfather the next day after he caught the kid trying to sneak the Ruger Mk1 back into his home. 64 shots fired in a narrow alleyway in a residential area with lots of closely spaced little homes with folks in them at midnight, nobody hit.

No moral to this story and no point other than sharing.
    But SOMEONE was pretty adept at hitting your house. So much for "couldn't hit the broadside of a barn" !! Glad you are OK!
    Chorizo, mano3 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

An object lesson for your whole family: anytime, anywhere. Indeed.

One of the most important lessons one can learn, regarding maintaining a defensive posture and ability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links