Road trip through Illinois with Michigan CPL

This is a discussion on Road trip through Illinois with Michigan CPL within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone. I have a road trip coming up to Montana. I live in Michigan, and the route I was planning to take will take ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By waynes

Thread: Road trip through Illinois with Michigan CPL

Hey everyone. I have a road trip coming up to Montana. I live in Michigan, and the route I was planning to take will take me through Illinois. I know that from the most recent reciprocity maps that Illinois does not recognize Michigans CPL/CCW. Both my wife and I carry, and of course we want to take our carry weapons with us. We do have a car vault in our truck. I was planning on putting both pistols in the vault while we are in Illinois. But am not sure whether or not to separate the mags or not. Been trying to find info on the Illinois State Patrol website....ggrrr not much info there.

Any info or insight is very welcomed..

Be good, enjoy the day.

Kodi
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese....RLTW

As a permit holder from your home state you no longer have to unload and lock-up your firearms while driving thru Illannoys. You may keep your weapons on you, HOWEVER, you may not leave your vehicle while carrying. If you stop, your weapons must remain locked in the car.

W
    WrongRecroom and gregivq like this.

Yep as long as you stay in the car you can have said handgun strapped on you .. Leave the car and it stays in the car though .... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf is pretty up to date

as I remember you dont need a FOID card to have a gun/ammo in IL if non resident

I think they issue non res permtis too .. But last I looked only for a few states and they are very expensive
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Non-resident permit fee is 300.00 plus training costs. There is NO reciprocity at this time.

W

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    You didn't say when you were going.You could take the scenic route and take the Lake Express across Lake Michigan and then drive through Wisconsin. But that too has drawbacks because I don't believe you can carry on the ferry.

You see IL has this system where they encourage people to not spend their money. Basically follow what waynes and WrongRecroom said.

This is good info. Us Michiganders find ourselves in IL more often that most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links