Someone in your home when your wife and kids get home...

This is a discussion on Someone in your home when your wife and kids get home... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened to a friend of mine in Vancouver Wa about two months ago. My friend and his wife have a home in a nice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Someone in your home when your wife and kids get home...

This happened to a friend of mine in Vancouver Wa about two months ago.
    My friend and his wife have a home in a nice neighborhood, the kind of place where you wouldn't expect this kind of thing to happen. He works out of town for most of the week and only gets home on weekends. His wife is about 110 pounds soaking wet and they have two kids. A three year old and a one year old. She came home after going to the store and let the dog out of his pen, ( they have a 120 pound shepherd, a very good dog ) well the dog had got into the trash the day before ( okay so he wasn't perfect ) so she put him in his pen while she was out so she wouldn't have to worry about him getting in the garbage again, anyway the dog was going nuts about this time and bolted up the stairs. At this point she still didn't know someone was in the house until she heard growling and a door slam and the dog trying to tear through the door. She called the police and waited outside with the neighbor until they got there but by this time the guy had gone out a second story window and buggered off.
    Needless to say it freaked her out. I went down and stayed with her for a few days until my friend came back. Then we talked about what had happened. A while back I had giving my friend an HK P2000 9mm for his birthday and they kept it in a small gun safe screwed onto the night stand. That was the room where this ******* had holed up away from the dog. Didn't do her much good there. I put in my two cents and suggested they both get permits and start packing but I guess you can lead a horse to water....they didn't find anything missing, maybe he was looking for drugs. Would like some opinions about this and how you might deal with it. Queequeg

I'd start by leaving the dog uncrated and lock up the trash instead.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'd start by leaving the dog uncrated and lock up the trash instead.
    That was the first thing they did.

Distinguished Member
    Your suggestion was a good one. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to go to the trouble or don't feel comfortable. I just hope something bad doesn't happen that could have benn avoided.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Cant be complacent. I live in a nice small town without much crime. But sometimes crazy criminals come to visit.
    oneshot likes this.

It just shows this can happen anywhere at any time and the police are minutes away at best.
    Ghost1958, mano3 and molleur like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

why would they lock up the dog??? if they dog got in the trash,, then lock up the trash...

Distinguished Member
    Glad it turned out okay. "Always carry" thing I see in the future.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Forget those losers Queequeg! I will make a much better friend, and promise to keep any pistols given as gifts on my person at all times!
    tdave, Brad426, CWOUSCG and 1 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Instead of telling them how you would handle things, why not just ask them what she plans to do next time? Ask what if the barking dog is thrown some drugged meat from the grocery store or if she decides to leave the dog in the pen for some reason. Ask what they are willing to do to protect those two little kids.

Then move from what are you going to do (when the answer becomes I don't know) to, well what are the options of what you can do? Run away, scream, plead, beg, call police, carry a gun, etc. Go through all the options and let them make their own decision.

If you don't know of any, find some local weapons training by someone they might consider a professional (as opposed to a friend or acquaintance). To an outsider, the whole gun thing can seem a lot more scary and involved than it really is. And they need to hear this from a stranger to really believe it.
    WrongRecroom, tdave and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Nice houses in nice neighborhood is where bad guys go and steal from makes no sense to go to a crappy area and steal worthless stuff, that being said take closer look at security measures for the house being husband not home for extended periods. Let dog have run of the house put garbage in secure room and video security systems are really reasonable now. I have video and audio in my place plus if house is entered when were not home I get notified on my cell.
    ep1953 likes this.

I read that BGs tend to come back to try again as they know the lay out of the home.

For him or THEM next time getting rid of the dog problem would not be a real problem.

Knowing now that small children are in the home makes mom a very easy target, as most moms will do about any thing to save their children.

IMO the home owners need to wake up to the real world around them!!!!!!!!!!

She needs real fire power and training now IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
    My friend and his wife have a home in a nice neighborhood, the kind of place where you wouldn't expect this kind of thing to happen.
    Same as Cheshire, CT... ask Dr. Petit how that worked out for him and his family.

'The Cheshire Murders': HBO Documentary Reveals An Added Level Of Horror To Unspeakable Connecticut Crime

Any time, any where. Ultimately, unless you're going to live in fear and behind locked doors in a fortress, there's always some level of risk. Your friends would do well to start with taking a "refuse to be a victim" NRA course as an entry-level prompt to increase their situational awareness. Then see if that gets them thinking about their safety - let's hope it does.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nothing missing, BG is waiting in the house until the dog gets loosed and gives him away? He wasnt there to steal anything. Personally I dont think he was there looking for drugs or he would have taken something valuable to fence or sell to get some.

I think your friends wife and kids should be thanking their lucky stars they let the dog out of the pen first. There was a reason this person was there waiting in the house, and its very convenient the husband just happened to be out of town when he was. A bit to convenient for my taste.

I would if I were this family strongly consider the possibility of the same person coming back. With a good knowledge of the inside of the house. That there is a dog to be silenced, he probably already knew their routine and that the husband would be gone, and that they are by choice unarmed and helpless. I say a unarmed because the gun in the safe may as well not exist as far as being useful for protection.

As how to deal with it. Unless they become willing to carry on body, there isnt a way to deal with it. If he wants them as in the case mentioned in CT, he will have them because they refuse to take responsibility for their own survival and safety.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Man, stories like this make it a bit easier to deal with the cost of feeding my three very large dogs. My guys have been trained to only take food from my family. Hopefully the training sticks if they're ever tested.

This particular family has already experienced a full breach. Anything less than an equally severe reaction is too soft. I'd alarm the premises and install surveillance. There are systems now which can be monitored remotely from a computer or smart phone. I'd secrete mace at numerous locations throughout the home and I'd fortify a safe room.

Carrying would be a given along with self defense training. The kids too, even though too young now, start as soon as feasible. Can't account for all possibilities but the days of hoping for the best are over.

As much as they need viable safety measures, they also need to reclaim a sense of confidence and control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links