2 killed in shooting aboard USS Mahan at Naval Station Norfolk

This is a discussion on 2 killed in shooting aboard USS Mahan at Naval Station Norfolk within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im still trying to figure out how he got the gun on board. when i was in we had metal detectors and scanners for our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 2 killed in shooting aboard USS Mahan at Naval Station Norfolk

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar

Im still trying to figure out how he got the gun on board. when i was in we had metal detectors and scanners for our bags.

2 killed in shooting aboard USS Mahan at Naval Station Norfolk | WVEC.com Norfolk - Hampton Roads

NORFOLK -- Two people are dead following a shooting at Naval Station Norfolk late Monday night.
    The incident occurred at approximately 11:20 p.m. at Pier 1 aboard USS Mahan, Navy officials said.
    U.S. Navy security forces responded to the incident and have since secured the scene. One male sailor and one male civilian suspect were pronounced dead at the scene.

Security forces on base shot and killed the civilian suspect who was located on the guided missile destroyer.
    gatorbait51 and GentlemanJim like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

2. Remove Ads

Another shooting in a "Gun Free Zone" jus WOW man..
    ep1953, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

Our people are safer in country than here at home. At least In Country they can shoot back.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

To the OP, the article I read, in a different news, was that he wrestled the handgun from a security guard. That explains your question about how the gun got on board.
    gatorbait51, tdave and squid86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    Im still trying to figure out how he got the gun on board. when i was in we had metal detectors and scanners for our bags.

2 killed in shooting aboard USS Mahan at Naval Station Norfolk | WVEC.com Norfolk - Hampton Roads

NORFOLK -- Two people are dead following a shooting at Naval Station Norfolk late Monday night.
    The incident occurred at approximately 11:20 p.m. at Pier 1 aboard USS Mahan, Navy officials said.
    U.S. Navy security forces responded to the incident and have since secured the scene. One male sailor and one male civilian suspect were pronounced dead at the scene.

Security forces on base shot and killed the civilian suspect who was located on the guided missile destroyer.
    Are detectors and scanners the norm now? When I retired onboard the USS Hue City (CG-66) in Dec. 2000 we never used them. There were sporadic bag searches, usually for drugs in foreign ports.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Very sketchy news report here.
    WHEC724, gatorbait51 and atctimmy like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

UPDATE: The suspect was civilian; he approached the quarterdeck of USS Mahan. Security forces wouldn’t let him get past the entrance to the ship, and a scuffle ensued, according to the Navy. He grabbed a gun from the Petty Officer on watch, and shot a sailor that was responding to the security breach with the Petty Officer’s gun. The suspect was not armed with his own gun, officials say. The civilian who was one of two men killed in a shooting on the USS Mahan at Naval Station Norfolk on Monday night had proper identification to get onto the base, but breached security to board the ship, a U.S. defense official said Tuesday.
    There's a PO with some explaining to do today......
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Unless things have changed drastically the POOW would not have carried with one in the chamber, cocked and locked. Also, the holster would be strapped down. Probably would not have met a visitor, however late, with drawn weapon. Fairly easy to jump, disable and disarm. We used to have 3 persons on the QD, they may go with one now, at least after-hours. If our guys have crazy rules of force in combat zones what do you surmise they are in homeport.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    When I stood watch the PO of the watch did not have a round chambered. It sounds to me like he got thumped and the BG took his weapon.

Where was the OOD during all of this? Where was the messenger of the watch? Why wasn't he night sticking the BG repeatedly during the "scuffle"?

No matter what happened it appears that the watch did their job and stopped a BG from boarding the ship. It's very sad that a sailor was killed trying to stop him but they DID stop him on the quarter deck.
    gatorbait51 and WHEC724 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    When I stood watch the PO of the watch did not have a round chambered. It sounds to me like he got thumped and the BG took his weapon.

Where was the OOD during all of this? Where was the messenger of the watch? Why wasn't he night sticking the BG repeatedly during the "scuffle"?

No matter what happened it appears that the watch did their job and stopped a BG from boarding the ship. It's very sad that a sailor was killed trying to stop him but they DID stop him on the quarter deck.
    When I left they were discussing reduced watch requirements in order to go to more watch sections and fewer duty days. That is why I wrote that there may have been only one person on the QD.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It's just a shame that we have to loose a sailor like this. Nut jobs everywhere.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member
    That's sad. Gotta wonder what kind of access the BG had?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    You don't know if you weren't there, but The POOW is really the one responsible for physical security on the quarterdeck, and the only one armed. The POOW is there to slow them down more than to effectively repel boarders. If it were otherwise he'd have more than a sidearm. Total speculation, but he probably drew and charged the weapon prior to it being taken from him.

The OOD or messenger should NOT engage and help in a fight initially, who knows how many boarders there are? Sometimes the POOW is there just to buy time. The OOD or Messenger's number one job is hitting the 1MC and calling a security alert to the quarterdeck, which is what may have (should have) happened. The other two can assist in the fight only after that is accomplished. Even if it costs the POOW his life, or all of them their lives this is what has to happen. I cannot imagine base police could have responded that quickly, but the fast reaction team would have. You have to remember, on a ship it's all about the ship. All the ants onboard are a team focused on saving the material and fighting condition of the ship. The in-port security force is on duty to repel boarders. If there is no alert boarders are on the ship with no opposition and things go south fast. If the alert goes out only a few members of the team can effectively deny a vastly superior force to the critical areas of the ship, and setting DZ in a highly compartmentalized ship denies the enemy force movement.

While it's very sad a sailor died, but in-port security is designed to protect the ship, not the sailors, like everything else in every evolution in the fleet. He died doing his duty. Prayers for his shipmates and his family.
    chandlerusm, Recon1342 and dls like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I was always armed as OOD with a cond 1 M9.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    You don't know if you weren't there, but The POOW is really the one responsible for physical security on the quarterdeck, and the only one armed. The POOW is there to slow them down more than to effectively repel boarders. If it were otherwise he'd have more than a sidearm. Total speculation, but he probably drew and charged the weapon prior to it being taken from him.

The OOD or messenger should NOT engage and help in a fight initially, who knows how many boarders there are? Sometimes the POOW is there just to buy time. The OOD or Messenger's number one job is hitting the 1MC and calling a security alert to the quarterdeck, which is what may have (should have) happened. The other two can assist in the fight only after that is accomplished. Even if it costs the POOW his life, or all of them their lives this is what has to happen. I cannot imagine base police could have responded that quickly, but the fast reaction team would have. You have to remember, on a ship it's all about the ship. All the ants onboard are a team focused on saving the material and fighting condition of the ship. The in-port security force is on duty to repel boarders. If there is no alert boarders are on the ship with no opposition and things go south fast. If the alert goes out only a few members of the team can effectively deny a vastly superior force to the critical areas of the ship, and setting DZ in a highly compartmentalized ship denies the enemy force movement.

While it's very sad a sailor died, but in-port security is designed to protect the ship, not the sailors, like everything else in every evolution in the fleet. He died doing his duty. Prayers for his shipmates and his family.
    dls likes this.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Old Sarge I read the same thing and when I had quarter deck watch we always had had a side arm on. So according to what I read nothing was brought in it was opportunity and back in they day we must have trained different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links