When I see things like this...

This is a discussion on When I see things like this... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ... I wonder. I wonder why every American home owner won't spend $2-300 and get a shotgun, or a handgun for a little more... I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: When I see things like this...

When I see things like this...

... I wonder.

I wonder why every American home owner won't spend $2-300 and get a shotgun, or a handgun for a little more...

I wonder why they don't secure their homes.

I wonder why they don't spend 15 minutes discussing a plan.

I wonder why everyone thinks it'll never happen to me/us. ..

I wonder.

I sigh, a lot...

Wakey, wakey America! When we reach the fiscal cliff no one is talking about any more... (The REAL ONE) this will be more common...

Prepare now. And be ready, even if the end never comes, for random acts of atrocity.

Story: Jason Beyer testified about Raleigh Oakwood home invasion that left him paralyzed | abc11.com
    Patti, msgt/ret, RickyD and 3 others like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    "I sigh, a lot".

ME TOO!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    Simply put, many folks have their head buried.

21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member
    Terrible story. This guy could have done something to help himself, but he still does not deserve this fate.

This is the reason that there is no room for mistakes or mercy in a home invasion. The only objective at that point is to protect the family. Come across the threshold uninvited and it is a one way trip.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I don't wonder anymore and I have tried to change some friends of there habits to make them a little safer and more aware but it seems that over the past few years, several did not listen and one was robbed and beat up and is angry with me and he ask me not to come around anymore. You win some but it brakes your heart when you lose some.

I was unaware that this happened in my home state not more than 100 miles from my current residence. This and many others is the main reason I obtained my CCW back in 2009 and was just renewed for another 5 years on March 15.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Why do these things keep happening? Doesn't anyone care about the other humans anymore?
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

The media never gives these kinds of stories major air time because they prove that at that moment in time we are on our own. The police show up after the fact and gather evidence. It doesn't fit into the MSM agenda and gets buried in the local news between weather and sports. What a shame.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My liberal brother that lives in Colorado told me he thought he should get a gun since there have been numerous burglaries in his very upscale Utopian neighborhood.
    That was a year ago, and he still hasn't done a thing....while there have been several more burglaries since we talked about him buying a gun, and one of them resulted in the homeowner being beaten severely when she interrupted the event. I told him I'd send him one of my extras for home defense.....and he turned me down because it was not on the "safe" gun list his expert neighbor showed him.

....he's just never been the same after he bought that freaking BMW years ago. I don't think we have the same parents.
    Old Sarge, ccw9mm, RickyD and 2 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I don't wonder anymore and I have tried to change some friends of there habits to make them a little safer and more aware but it seems that over the past few years, several did not listen and one was robbed and beat up and is angry with me and he ask me not to come around anymore. You win some but it brakes your heart when you lose some.
    You can not change their minds any more than they can change yours. They would have to admit too many ugly facts of life to agree with you, and they're to scared to do that. Protect you and yours, pray for the rest.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

My sister has always been 100% having guns of any type in her home.

About six months ago two men broke in to her house and the only thing her husband had to defend himself was a pool stick. The BG's had a gun and threatened my brother-in-law. He was VERY lucky when he chased them with the pool stick that they opted to run instead of pull the trigger.

After that, she felt very nervous for quite a while. Her two adult sons began to hang around the house for a while (they both carry). She began to feel comfortable knowing that there was a real way to protect the family. Her daughter and grandbaby are staying on the first floor for a while and she is scared this could happen again.

You don't get lucky like that twice, that's for sure. My sister is now contemplating allowing her husband to get something. Unfortunately, she would rather move than to allow a gun. It bothers me that she is so nave to think that wouldn't happen anywhere else.
    Eric357 and BugDude like this.
    Deaconswife

Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    Why do these things keep happening? Doesn't anyone care about the other humans anymore?
    Sure, plenty of folks do. Of course, we all know this.

It's just that the violent felons in our midst do not. Never have. Never will. And that's about all one needs to know, for motivation to take some, any, steps in our own defense and defense of our loved ones. It's this aspect that altogether too many folks fail to appreciate.

Do nothing, and you get what you get. Do something, and you must might survive such things intact.
    Eric357 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I live in what is considered a a very safe part of the Atlanta Metro area, but I still put my lighted, loaded (16 rounds), chambered and ready weapon beside my bed every night without fail. I also have my AR ready to go in the event of a life threatening incident.

Some would call it paranoid. I call it prepared.
    Last edited by Hodad; March 26th, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It seems some folks really do want to be taken care of as if they were children and so I see it as a lack of maturity that they refuse responsibility for and control of their own lives. They would rather depend on Fortune than take responsibility for themselves which would require them to make decisions. This, of course, plays right into the hands of government which wants more power for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    It seems some folks really do want to be taken care of as if they were children. They would rather depend on Fortune than take responsibility for themselves which would require them to make decisions.
    Now he is being taken care of like a child. Not that he "deserved" this outcome, but getting the short end of the stick was almost preordained when he refused to take any specific steps in his own defense. A good lesson for us all, right there.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links