Grid Down First Week

Grid Down First Week

This is a discussion on Grid Down First Week within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Late this afternoon we had a thunder storm and very high wind, and our small town lost power for about 5 hours. After checking on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Grid Down First Week

Grid Down First Week

Late this afternoon we had a thunder storm and very high wind, and our small town lost power for about 5 hours.

After checking on neighbors and adjusting to no grid power for about 5 hours, I began to wonder how it would be if we had a national grid down event that lasted for years?

But what I would like to discuss is the first week with no power and security concerns.

Would think it would take average citizen a day or maybe two to come to grips that life has changed maybe for ever.

IMO, after a week or so neighbors will either work together for security and benefit, or die fighting each other and the rest of the world.

That first week is all important!!!!!!

Now some thoughts about personal family survival : 1. Draw up and save all the water you can, and be very very spearing in its use. 2. Inventory everything. 3. Set up a guard (security) system as best as you can (if neighborhood comes together at a latter date all the better, however at the start it my be only those in your home). 4. The fuel in cars etc may be the last of the fuel available for a long long time, therefore securing your supply plus getting more will be all important. 5. Before this event sorts out some what you will be dealing with the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY, of humanity, therefore if possible a person you trust running a oversight rifle for your protection as you deal with the unknown humanity seem a prudent idea.

Other thoughts welcome!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    The herd will definitely get much thinner.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

im not so sure it would fall apart that fast. The last major hurricane we had down here in florida most of my county lost power for almost a month and i didn't notice any civil unrest or anything like that. There was no gas for miles, cell towers were down, nothing was open. It was pretty nuts but most of us just drank and cooked all the food that was going to go bad. I mean nation wide might be one thing, but locally it didn't seem to change to many people.

VIP Member
    I keep 60 days of freeze dried food for each member of the family as well as at least 100 gallons of water. I am more than prepared for a week.

I also have a small home on a lake in N. GA with a wood burning fireplace and plenty of fishing equipment. I have thousand of rounds of ammo for my guns, although not as much as I would like. And, I still need to invest in a good water purification system. Overall, I am prepared to wait out a short to medium term interruption. As far as security, I am getting out of my metro area as fast as I can. I like my neighbors, but I can't feed all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    After checking on neighbors and adjusting to no grid power for about 5 hours, I began to wonder how it would be if we had a national grid down event that lasted for years?
    The 1950's novel by Pat Frank highlights many of the practical issues that one would likely face: Alas, Babylon.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

IMO, as long as there is hope of recovery then things will tend to hold together.

In the event of a hurricane it is a regional event and help is on the way.

A nation wide grid failure or EMP or terror attack with little or no communications, and I see a panic, and survival of the fittest in a short time.

Hope and communications are all important IMHO!!!!!!!!
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Life would get real sporty real fast.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

A week?? We lose power during the winter out here for a week at a time regularly. No big. We lost it twice for a month and half after major ice storms took down the lines and poles with em along with half the trees. Out here, still no big woop. Heat with wood, which means can cook on the wood burner. Boil water on it to drink.

Wife can make candles and has made a bunch in jars that last forever for light. Food, if winter stick it outside or pack it in snow in a cooler. If we run out which we have of meat, just walk up on the ridge and pop a deer.

As long as we can get meds filled once a month it really wouldnt be a huge deal. No AC but lived a long time without that before. By the next fall we would be canning veggies. If mamma has flour and water we got biscuits and bread.

I think its more folks that never lived without power and running water as a way of life that freak out when the lights go out for more than a day. JMO
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Most of the people in my urban environment would be unhappy, bored and disagreeable. I'm basing this on observations of the Northeast blackout of 2003 and a few local blackouts of a day or two. Its not entirely certain how people spend their time normally since around here most of it transpires behind closed doors but previous discussions centered around no air conditioning, television or internet.

I did not speak to anyone who choose to use this time to read, catch up on chores/projects or generally make the best of the situation. Most stood out in their front yards looking around to see what others were doing and then complaining if anyone got near enough. Of course some could have been in their basements where it was cooler working on cleaning/organizing or whatever but in my immediate area I was the only house around with lights at night. Apparently none had kerosene/camping lanterns.

Since that time several have purchased gasoline powered generators that get fired up within the hour of first losing electricity. I'm guessing that within the first day or two these generators would begin to grow silent since their owners didn't squirrel away very much fuel. Then the complaining would start as in the past. Trying to organize people who have little resources or skillsets would be fruitless until reality knocked them down a bit I'm guessing. Maybe towards the end of the first week some might be willing organize and become receptive to some common sense suggestions.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    There are 2 hydroelectric generators within 2 miles of my house. A third is a little upstream, but services another town. Then there are the two coal fired plants 3 and 6 miles away. Still, I suppose there are circumstances that would prevent distribution. We would need to hand pump the well, and eat the venison before it goes bad. The season would dictate fresh vegetables vs. canned. If the power is out, no store is taking transactions, so we are borrowing/bartering with neighbors. For a week, my priorities are:
    1. Shelter (heat, dry), 2. Water, 3. Security 4. Gun magazines because i can't access members' gun photos on DC.com, 5. Food
    Aceoky, airslot and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    A week?? We lose power during the winter out here for a week at a time regularly. No big. We lost it twice for a month and half after major ice storms took down the lines and poles with em along with half the trees. Out here, still no big woop. Heat with wood, which means can cook on the wood burner. Boil water on it to drink.

Wife can make candles and has made a bunch in jars that last forever for light. Food, if winter stick it outside or pack it in snow in a cooler. If we run out which we have of meat, just walk up on the ridge and pop a deer.

As long as we can get meds filled once a month it really wouldnt be a huge deal. No AC but lived a long time without that before. By the next fall we would be canning veggies. If mamma has flour and water we got biscuits and bread.

I think its more folks that never lived without power and running water as a way of life that freak out when the lights go out for more than a day. JMO
    You have a plan and hope!!!!!!!

Folks that are caught totally by surprise and are totally unprepared, as they lose hope and panic are the real problem.

If you live close to a major freeway or hwy. with folks driving trying to get somewhere or just out of city with no way to refuel as they run out of gas is a night mare coming true in your front yard, or home as you must deal with the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

If hope and repairs are happening with communications of this fact being known all may be well, however again if communications is down ( think no fuel or generator at radio station etc.) and hope of a fix start to die.

Why radio station? Because the car radio will still work for a good while after the grid is down, car fuel and battery life.
    Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

The real danger is an EMP event- food, water, ammo and the will to live will be very important.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

We loose power here often enough that many have generators, most have some kind of wood heat. It would be a week before most are really inconvenienced. We know to keep our gas tanks full, and a few gallons extra for in case. My biggest fear would be not being able to get out of the city I work in.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Localized power outages during a natural disaster are not too serious because people know there is help coming and the situation is temporary. If the power grid is out for years, society would fall apart because there is no hope for a fix and they have to rely solely on themselves. I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s. For a time, we lived in a two-room house with dirt floors, a wood stove for heat, a wood stove for cooking, a hand-pump water well in the back yard, and an outhouse. I have no fear of living off of the grid. It is the other people who would want to take what we have that concern me.
    Aceoky, Ghost1958, Sontag and 2 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    We've already been thru several instances of power being out for multiple days. There is usually at lest twice a year where outages have lasted 2 or more days. Just a couple of years ago it was nearly 10 days over Christmas. I ran on generator for most of the time.

It's not fun & it does make you want to be better prepared for any event that would be large scale & LENGTHY!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links