Can happen anytime, anywhere.

This is a discussion on Can happen anytime, anywhere. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title says: Yesterday morning around 0930, after getting out of the shower and getting dressed, went into the living room, set my holstered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Can happen anytime, anywhere.

VIP Member

As the title says: Yesterday morning around 0930, after getting out of the shower and getting dressed, went into the living room, set my holstered pistol down on the stand next to my recliner and was about to spend some time drinking some coffee and reading the paper. I noted a plastic plant pot rolling around in the wind in the backyard on the patio. Now I live in the country, with only a couple of neighbors nearby......a long ways from crowded. So I stepped out onto the patio to retrieve it. I am about 25 feet from the backdoor and from around the corner of the shop comes charging at me three dingo mix dogs with the intention of attacking me! I reach down, grab a patio chair and raise it and they stop 20 ft from me with two of them circling to get behind me. I back to the door with them creeping and trying to get position on me. As I make the door and get inside, I retrieve my 870, call 911 and see if they are still back there. They have left and I get a call. Figuring that is was a call back from the sheriff, it turns out to be the neighbor, warning me of a similar situation he just had with the three. Sheriff and animal control arrives in short order and they are aggressive enough for the deputy sheriff to get his 870 out to back up animal control. They finally get the dogs corralled. Sheriff knows where they came from (a suspected drug operation's guard dogs). We file complaints and off they go. Sheriff and the Humane Society lady officer asked me why I didn't shoot them. Told them I didn't have a gun on me!

I have carried a weapon on me everywhere, all the time, all over the World for over 35 years. I go out in my backyard for a quick minute on a Sunday morning without one and immediately need one.

My wife asked me the same question as the Sheriff and humane society...........when I tell her why, she gets a blank stare and says, "Now that is hard to believe."

It can happen anytime, anywhere. Don't be a Chorizo, be prepared.
    DJC7, WHEC724, DingBat and 30 others like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Though I won't go so far as to say it's good you weren't armed, I think you actually did the appropriate thing. Depending on the situation, focusing on -all- the dogs, using a barrier, getting back into the house, prevented you from several issues:
    1. You didn't have to discharge your firearm in the city
    2. You didn't focus on one dog and get grabbed by the other(s)
    3. You didn't have any ricochets (shooting down at them)
    4. You didn't react by firing a warning shot
    5. You didn't have to harm the animal, and thus
    6. You didn't have to answer questions, file a report OR
    7. You didn't have to become involved with the owner(s) <---a big issue if they were dealers; reprisals

Good job, thanks for posting. Consider in the future how using your firearm should be the last resort, both operationally and tactically. You got time, distance, cover. Hopefully, you would have reacted just like this even if you had your handgun on your hip.

Glad you're safe!
    Chorizo and gatorbait51 like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    The title says it all. Glad it worked out OK.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Glad you're OK.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Thanks. My wife was giving me lip for pocketing a snubby while going out to do some pool maintenance yesterday. I'll be sure to show her your post.

Dogs are bad news! They don't know or care that you have a gun until it's discharged.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Though I won't go so far as to say it's good you weren't armed, I think you actually did the appropriate thing. Depending on the situation, focusing on -all- the dogs, using a barrier, getting back into the house, prevented you from several issues:
    1. You didn't have to discharge your firearm in the city
    2. You didn't focus on one dog and get grabbed by the other(s)
    3. You didn't have any ricochets (shooting down at them)
    4. You didn't react by firing a warning shot
    5. You didn't have to harm the animal, and thus
    6. You didn't have to answer questions, file a report OR
    7. You didn't have to become involved with the owner(s) <---a big issue if they were dealers; reprisals

Good job, thanks for posting. Consider in the future how using your firearm should be the last resort, both operationally and tactically. You got time, distance, cover. Hopefully, you would have reacted just like this even if you had your handgun on your hip.
    Badger,

I must disagree with your assessment (even though you are gracious and well intentioned)

I live in the country, I have lots of experience with dogs, even aggressive dogs.

If I was armed, my response would have been to shoot the lead, most aggressive dog. They were in the grass, closest neighbor is 450 yards away, I am in the county...discharge of firearms is allowed, they were on my property, Idaho law allows for protection of property and self from animals. I don't do warning shots. The threat by the other dogs was a very real threat even if shooting one of them. I have no problem shooting and killing aggressive dogs...I am an old sheep rancher and have killed many more dogs than I have coyotes in my life and these dogs needed to be put down.

Also consider this: if you absolutely wait for the last resort to use your firearm, it may be too late. A firearm needs to used at the appropriate time and as an appropriate resort. If you wait until you are on the ground being attacked, bitten, beat or seriously harmed, it is likely too late.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

VIP Member
    Thank you, all, for the well wishes. It definitely was a mental tune-up on readiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Badger,

I must disagree with your assessment (even though you are gracious and well intentioned)

I live in the country, I have lots of experience with dogs, even aggressive dogs.

If I was armed, my response would have been to shoot the lead, most aggressive dog. They were in the grass, closest neighbor is 450 yards away, I am in the county...discharge of firearms is allowed, they were on my property, Idaho law allows for protection of property and self from animals. I don't do warning shots. The threat by the other dogs was a very real threat even if shooting one of them. I have no problem shooting and killing aggressive dogs...I am an old sheep rancher and have killed many more dogs than I have coyotes in my life and these dogs needed to be put down.

Also consider this: if you absolutely wait for the last resort to use your firearm, it may be too late. A firearm needs to used at the appropriate time and as an appropriate resort. If you wait until you are on the ground being attacked, bitten, beat or seriously harmed, it is likely too late.
    I agree that you don't want to wait too long but a last resort does not mean waiting until it's too late. I'm glad it worked out for you despite being unarmed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorGuy407 View Post
    I agree that you don't want to wait too long but a last resort does not mean waiting until it's too late. I'm glad it worked out for you despite being unarmed.
    Point! But, last resort is a very "gaseous" description. To me, last resort is that point which, if not undertaken, may result in death or grave bodily harm to me or mine.

It doesn't have to be in the physical process of resulting in either, but the AOJ triangle is complete.

Also putting down a dog is different than shooting a human. Shooting a dog to prevent an attack is appropriate. To prevent a punch in the nose is not.

But the moral to this story is not to rehash the scenario as I didn't fully lay out the details. The moral of this story is the title, "Anytime, Anywhere"
    Last edited by Chorizo; March 31st, 2014 at 06:02 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Point! But, last resort is a very "gaseous" description. To me, last resort is that point which is not undertaken, it may result in death or grave bodily harm to me or mine.

It doesn't have to be in the physical process of resulting in either, but the AOJ triangle is complete.

Also putting down a dog is different than shooting a human. Shooting a dog to prevent an attack is appropriate. To prevent a punch in the nose is not.

But the moral to this story is not to rehash the scenario as I didn't fully lay out the details. The moral of this story is the title, "Anytime, Anywhere"

I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Thanks. My wife was giving me lip for pocketing a snubby while going out to do some pool maintenance yesterday. I'll be sure to show her your post.

^^^No doubt^^^^^^^^^^

My family gives me the business a lot as well for going to the barn to retrieve something, pick up doggy do do in the yard, cut the grass on the zero steer, or anything that is basically within 50-150 feet of the house/barn area.

They don't get it.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I'm sitting in my recliner right now and I have a Ruger SR9C in an ankle holster if I go outside I will have either a pocket pistol or full sized pistol on me and I live in the country. Last year I had to shoot a RED Nose Pit that was attacking my brother-in-law. Couple of week ago I had a big retriever come at me from about 10 ft away. I have a mutt I keep outside he is half Boxer and Half I really don't know but he goes about 100 lbs. As the retriever come at me he was bigger than my dog I stomped my foot and yelled stop both did which gave me enough time to draw my MP in 9mm which had 124gr +P in it. I put the sights right between the eyes and he came after me. I pulled the trigger and he went around in a circle twice and ran off. I went in the house and got my HD shotgun with a light and found him dead about 50 ft away. That's why I am never without a gun.

Distinguished Member
    Good Job Chorizo. One of the problems we have is flat landers taking their dogs to the country and letting them go. Funny how we live a lifetime preparing for fighting and then at home in our own lair we have a problem.

Not a bad price for a lesson though it could have been expensive.

Glad you are OK and I hope the wife goes easy not like she hasn't made mistakes.

Glad everything worked out. What I hate, is that its the one time you think to yourself, everything is fine, then its not. Thanks for sharing....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links