Defending Yourself Against a Mob (Detroit)

This is a discussion on Defending Yourself Against a Mob (Detroit) within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We see what-if scenarios here all the time. Here is one taken from the news. What do you do if you are the motorist in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Defending Yourself Against a Mob (Detroit)

VIP Member

We see what-if scenarios here all the time. Here is one taken from the news. What do you do if you are the motorist in a situation like this one, start shooting, or take the mauling, and wind up crippled or dead?
    Motorist who struck boy critical after mob attack
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Would have definitely drawn in that situation and held them off depending on them........won't be subjected to mob violence under any circumstances.
    ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Not sure what the gentleman was trying to do but I'm not laying there and taking a beating like that. If my gun is with me I'm using it whatever way I have to. If I don't have it I'm staying in my truck and dialing 911.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member
    An unarmed mob, if you shoot, then you are guilty because they will say they were walking by. If you wait til they attack, then you may not get your gun out, or they might get it out for you.
    Sounds like a lose - lose.
    Possibly could have stayed in truck (if he saw them coming), called 911 and pulled weapon hoping they left him alone, but, I doubt they would.

I don't like mob violence. There is no clean way out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Good situation for a dash cam.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Horrible situation. According to the report not the motorist's fault. However he knows he just struck and injured a child who is screaming in pain. Then attacked by a mob impugning him with guilt. The most difficult part of this would seem to be keeping your mind abreast of events as they unfolded.
    TVJ and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I thought you meant 'da Mob', not 'a' mob.
    MMinSC and gatorbait51 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    An unarmed mob, if you shoot, then you are guilty because they will say they were walking by.
    That is called disparity of force.

Boarding house rules.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    That is called disparity of force.

Boarding house rules.
    Just like this!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by Bama61 View Post
    Not sure what the gentleman was trying to do but ...
    Could have been cold-cocked out of the blue.

I certainly understand him exiting the car to check on the downed person. I'd do the same. But depending on how quickly and violently the felons around you decide to blow sideways, you might well get overwhelmed before realizing it. No way to know, ahead of time.

I, too, would be armed. And I would also have no qualms over drawing (or firing) upon violent felon assailants daring to threaten my very life. Sad, that the point of the attentions is the downed pedestrian, and the fact of the mob behavior occurring right then gets in the way of helping that pedestrian (who might well be on death's door). Those mob idjets deserve everything flung at them, and more, if that child succumbs to his injuries from being struck by the car. If that kid dies ... Felony homicide, I'd say, by directly causing failure to help the kid while they instead deliberately beat another sufficiently to cause critical, life-threatening hospitalization. Utter and unforgivable willingness to inflict murder in revenge for perceived slights.
    Ianthin, mkh, gatorbait51 and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Interesting that the "rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey used to say) is concealed in this particular article. I learned more from the "comments" than the article itself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    6 or 7 in that "mob". I woulda' shot the first 5 (LCR). Then whooped the last 2 !
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Draw and fire.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    It would be interesing to know how the confrontation started and if he had any warning that they were going to be trouble before a multi-person attack began. But laying down on the ground and letting them kick me doesn't seem like a good option.

I would definitly stop, get out of the truck and try to give any aid I could, but at the first sign of trouble I think I am getting back in my vehicle. That way at least you have some sort of barrier between you and a mob, and a lot more options than when surrounded.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Walk softly ...

This has been a heavily-debated topic of discussion at work this week. Like it or not, there is a racial component to the topic. Here's a picture of the man who was beaten:
    man_beaten_by_mob.jpg
    While the perps are not yet in custody, this happened in a predominantly black neighborhood, so it's extremely likely that if he had been able to defend himself, that's who he would have been firing on. In light of other recent un-named examples of self-defense that have occurred around the country in recent years, and considering the no-snitch-rules that dominate the inner-city attitudes in Detroit, what do you think this guy's chances would have been in a Detroit courtroom defending the shooting, even if technically it was a clean shoot? Especially after the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons and Eric Holders of the world had got everyone stirred up? The consensus at work seems to be that no matter how justified the guy would have been, if the guy had fired on his attackers in this case, he'd be toast in the courtroom. I think pepper spray would have been the best solution here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links