Another Case of Anytime, Anywhere

This is a discussion on Another Case of Anytime, Anywhere within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just because you are rural, doesn't mean it can't happen. Here is a case of being lucky they got out of it: My Most Recent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Another Case of Anytime, Anywhere

VIP Member

Just because you are rural, doesn't mean it can't happen. Here is a case of being lucky they got out of it:

My Most Recent - And Hopefully Last - DGU | The Truth About Guns
    manolito, grouse, ArmyCop and 3 others like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member
    We have a reservation close and I do not travel that route at all. State law says you can carry while on the state road get off it and you belong to the Tribal court. I am convinced the only place that gun belongs is on my belt from morning to night. Rural is a lot better though. The Deputies are pretty good. City police well Mom said if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bill
    gatorbait51, TDH1961 and oldman45 like this.

Reason 28,273,467 I don't step foot on the res.
    fredg53 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Interesting story and an unnerving situation. As previously said above the county around here are pretty good but so is the city and state.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Some details of the account struck me as strange.
    SCXDm9, Phaedrus and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Shoot I am smack dab surrounded by reservations hereabouts. At least 8 that I know of and have been to all 8 at one time or another. Doesn't even slow me down. The one I most frequent has surveillance cameras and a security guy who drives around. Not a one has a boat launch with trailer access. Golly gee I just feel so doggone safe when on reservation land.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Shoot I am smack dab surrounded by reservations hereabouts. At least 8 that I know of and have been to all 8 at one time or another. Doesn't even slow me down. The one I most frequent has surveillance cameras and a security guy who drives around. Not a one has a boat launch with trailer access. Golly gee I just feel so doggone safe when on reservation land.
    I have spent lots of time on the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations, and aside from people panhandling, have never had any problems with the locals.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    This hasn't got anything to do about the Rez....

It just happens that the bad guys were using that as an excuse to extort......more likely an "interview" situation to see how much they had, how compliant the potential victims were and thereby how much risk they were to be robbed.

Moral of the story: Be armed, be prepared, be alert.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    This hasn't got anything to do about the Rez....

It just happens that the bad guys were using that as an excuse to extort......more likely an "interview" situation to see how much they had and how compliant they were and thereby how much risk they were to be robbed.

Moral of the story: Be armed, be prepared, be alert.
    Quite right, we digress. The story lit up my BS alarm, but again, I digress.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    This is another reason that I always keep my weapon ON ME! Not in a holster mounted to the dash of my car, not in a backpack, glove box or shoe box. ON ME!
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

yep, normally, in my front pants pocket, and if anything "smells wrong", or even just out of the ordinary, my hand is in my pocket. If I think there's a risk and I need my hands, then temprory IWB, under my hungout shirt. I"ve practiced a lot, both methods of draw.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I will pay ten dollars every day if it keeps me out of a gunfight!
    fredg53 and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I will pay ten dollars every day if it keeps me out of a gunfight!
    While I agree with you that $10 is cheap to avoid a gun fight, I'm not so sure that this guy would have stopped at $10.
    gatorbait51, Parrisk and Chorizo like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    While I agree with you that $10 is cheap to avoid a gun fight, I'm not so sure that this guy would have stopped at $10.
    Exactly. It was an interview to see how compliant they were and potentially how much money they had.

It had NOTHING to do with getting $10.

Definitely a test to see if they would back down.. and targeted the clean cut city boys. I thought tribal lands had Tribal no tresspassing signs..

Left my carry at the inlaws, on my wifes suggestion, one day on a ride DEEPER into PA Elk country. Her brother was following in his truck.
    We did see a huge bull elk laying in the front yard of a camp, at the end of a dirt road that paralled the paved road we were on.
    We turned onto the dirt road and just before the camp we stopped at a boundry marker with no trespassing posted.
    We all got a good look and pictures of the elk that was maybe still another 50 yrds beyond the sign.
    Suddenly we heard gravel flying and an engine reving and turn to see a pickup truck flying down the road towards our truck.
    He skids up, shotgun out the window and up screaming we are trespassing and we need to leave NOW!!
    I stayed calm and explained we were on a public road, we stopped before the sign so the kids could see the elk.
    His face was turning red and spittle was flying and he just kept screaming "LEAVE NOW!"
    I am thinking "great my 9mm is at home and this inbred has a shotgun and having a meltdown"
    I told him we were leaving and as I put up the back windows and turned to back up I told the boys to slide down in their seats to the floor.
    I slowly drive away and notice my brother inlaw is trying to get turned around and the maniac is out of his truck, shotgun craddled across his chest and still screaming.
    We stopped an hour later at a sportsmans club. My brother inlaw said he had his 9mm in his left hand between the door and seat.
    As we were talking a Game Warden came in.. I waved him over and told him.
    He knew the guy and said he is a real live wire and prohibited from almost every bar within driving distance and lives back in the woods where we turned onto the dirt road, must have seen us turned down the road. He did say unless the guy directly threatened us, like pointed the gun at us or said I will shoot you, there wasn't much that could be done.
    He was going to stop out there and check on the elk and see if he could talk to the guy.
    Later we hear he got arrested on unrelated charges and have not seen a vehicle on his property for over a year now..looks almost abandoned.

Now... I believe in CANT.. carry always, never tell.
    Phaedrus and gatorbait51 like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links