Not good, not good at all. Not much that can be done either

This is a discussion on Not good, not good at all. Not much that can be done either within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in a suburban neighborhood of about 80 homes. The area is affluent with lots of nice homes and cars. A couple of weeks ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Not good, not good at all. Not much that can be done either

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

I live in a suburban neighborhood of about 80 homes. The area is affluent with lots of nice homes and cars. A couple of weeks ago, we had three cars get their contents stolen in a night. A week later, the amount having been hit was up to 25. Now counting two home invasions, the count is up to about 45 thefts. Some people have had all their cars opened and contents cleared out.

The items stolen include several cameras, at least two handguns, a computer, a laptop, a few I-phones and lots of other items.

SO what is one to do? I get up at the slightest sound to see what is going on. My two car garage is full so I cannot put any more cars in it. My carport has two more vehicles in it along with my work unit which has some computer stuff inside that cannot be taken in at night. I have motion detector lights that come on when someone enters the carport area. I have a dog that barks at thunder, bicycles, riding lawn mowers and foxes. The home has an alarm system.

I am considering installing outside cameras.

The police chief and I have discussed this crime wave and I have my idea as to who is behind it. Proof is another issue though. The Chief agrees with me but it takes the entire community to get involved before the crimes will stop. My neighbor wants me to set up a block party to discuss it but this is my neighborhood but I am not employed by the local police dept but know the Chief very well. Some of the officers are somewhat less than night watchmen. A simple traffic stop requires three units to be on the scene. For years, the area has been virtually crime free.

Now we know the perps are potentially armed with stolen guns. So what is one to do?
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and WHEC724 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Garage storage of vehicles. Alarmed vehicles/garages and parking areas. Security lighting covering far greater area than just where the car is parked, with indoor (perhaps cell phone) notification of activation. Dog(s). I.R. cameras with good resolution, perhaps wireless. Preparedness to defend your life, if the perp(s) opts to escalate things beyond mere theft.

A neighborhood watch gathering is good. Gets you on the same page, having the same info/intel, knowing of key ideas for protection that others might have. Might invite one of the sheriff/police folks to join in, to give it some direction. Be prepared to boost your monitoring expenses, changing your routines and patterns of behavior, etc.

But with two home invasions on the list, as well, toss in eval of home defense aspects ... hardened entry points, secure storage of valuables, monitored/alarmed homes (indoors and outdoors), intelligently applied security lighting, and all the rest.

About all you can do, really, until the perp(s) is(are) caught. A good little fire drill, in a neighborhood being clearly impacted. Better to learn these things now, on a comparatively low-grade crime wave, than on something far worse.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    The items stolen include several cameras, at least two handguns, a computer, a laptop, a few I-phones and lots of other items.
    Really?
    I'm always surprised at the level of stupidity from people that share their shock and surprise when they had their car broken into and things like laptops, cameras, purses, guns, etc. were stolen.

SO what is one to do?
    Start with removing valuables from the vehicle.

So what is one to do?
    See above.

Some folks empty their cars and leave them unlocked, to minimize damage. Some have car alarms. At this point, it only seems to be contents being taken. But, likely it's only a matter of time before the $30K vehicles themselves are taken and chopped/sold. Depends on the perp(s).

OP, what ideas have the other neighbors come up with so far? Any ideas from those who haven't yet been hit, if their steps have seemingly protected them?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Oldman same situation here a few years back. Nice neighborhood with historically low crime rate (or no crime rate). Rash of vehicle break-ins about 3 years ago. In one night they hit 23 vehicles. Side glass was smashed in all of them. No car alarms went off. It ended up being a couple teenagers from a neighboring affluent subdivision. If I recall correctly one of them got nabbed trying to sell stuff. LEO told me that vehicle breakins were 'fashionable' with teens at that time, and they had a name for it but I don't remember what it was.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You mention many things the dog barks at. Are night time visitors invited and uninvited barked at until you OK them?
    gatorbait51 and Old Sarge like this.

VIP Member
    I live in a "subdivision of one", and have a long road in and out, at the end of the road are 4 yard dogs, grouchy owner, etc. The "etc." part is more layers of deterrent.

My daughter and her family live in a nice/new subdivision (ungated) and it has been "probed" as well. The whole thing reminded me of a garden that was in production.....stuff was ripe, and the varmints showed up. They have a neighborhood association so announcements to everyone was done word of mouth and by email. Their local SO did pass thru patrols, and an unmarked stake-out a few times. My SIL is a nearby LEO and when coming home late he'd pass through the neighborhood on patrol himself, actually caught one suspicious guy not too long ago.

It has slowed down, but during the peak his outside security cameras caught two dudes walking up his driveway in the middle of the night, the motion security light came on, and both dudes did an immediate 180 and left for easier pickins'.

Oldman45, since ya'll have this crime wave currently going on, how about some black flash game cameras? You could get them in place super fast. How about some neighborhood volunteers taking turns to just watch what's going on during the night? They could make a quick call to the police for any suspicious vehicles or people. Does your local PD have an old wore out patrol car that they could park in the neighborhood and move to different places every night?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    OP, what ideas have the other neighbors come up with so far? Any ideas from those who haven't yet been hit, if their steps have seemingly protected them?
    Thus far, their input has been to call me when something happens.

One man has began carrying his gun more often around the house. Many in the area are not aware of what is going on and that is why one neighbor wants a meeting with the neighbors. If that happens, I am going to have the Chief come to ther meeting.

I am encouraging those I speak with to say something if they see something. Young guys are walking the streets at late night, early morning hours. I feel this is part of the problem. But two of these guys are the sons of a neighbor that is clueless as to what her kids are doing and really acts as if she does not care.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

These situations are usually someone in the neighborhood, quite often a teenage child of a family there. You can try having a 'talk' with his family if there is even a shred of evidence that you know who it is. The cops may not be able to do anything but there is nothing stopping you.

Stopping a vehicle break in when it is not in a secure storage is near impossible. Go ahead and put your OBVIOUS cameras outside so they know you have them. Put motion dectors outside, especially near the vehicles. I've seen the Chamberlin ones for garage doors recommended a couple times. The last thing which will also be expensive is to install better alarms on your vehicles. Make sure they have glass break alarms, and also add interior motion detection so once they are in your vehicle they go off.
    gatorbait51 and Parrisk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    You mention many things the dog barks at. Are night time visitors invited and uninvited barked at until you OK them?
    My dog barks at the things mentioned and nothing else. Someone could tear down a wall to get in and he would stand there watching them as long as they did not ride up on a bicycle or lawn mower.
    gatorbait51 and abigno99 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Oldman45, since ya'll have this crime wave currently going on, how about some black flash game cameras? You could get them in place super fast. How about some neighborhood volunteers taking turns to just watch what's going on during the night? They could make a quick call to the police for any suspicious vehicles or people. Does your local PD have an old wore out patrol car that they could park in the neighborhood and move to different places every night?
    Calling the local PD is a joke. The town is very small. Less than 2 miles by 3 miles in size and less than 3,000 residents (men, women and children). There are 17 officers total. The Chief and two others are the only ones with experience that counts. Two weeks ago, an alarm went off at my neighbors home while they were out of the country, as they often are. I went to see what was going on and called the local PD. I then called another neighbor (a key holder) and he was taking a shower. He finished his shower, got dressed, walked over and we still waited 15 minutes before the PD arrived. I had secured the home and looked over the yard and the out buildings. Officers arrived and said they do not see anyone so they left.

And that is why neighbors call me instead of PD.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGuy407 View Post
    These situations are usually someone in the neighborhood, quite often a teenage child of a family there. You can try having a 'talk' with his family if there is even a shred of evidence that you know who it is. The cops may not be able to do anything but there is nothing stopping you.

Stopping a vehicle break in when it is not in a secure storage is near impossible. Go ahead and put your OBVIOUS cameras outside so they know you have them. Put motion dectors outside, especially near the vehicles. I've seen the Chamberlin ones for garage doors recommended a couple times. The last thing which will also be expensive is to install better alarms on your vehicles. Make sure they have glass break alarms, and also add interior motion detection so once they are in your vehicle they go off.
    ANything sets my auto alarms off. If a cat jumps on either of the exposed vehicles, the alarm goes off. All the vehicles have interior motion and glass breakage alarm.

I'd just clean out my garage. I mean really, it sounds like a criminal magnet in your neighborhood.

I wouldn't be suprised if the stolen firearms were sold and not carried. Other than put your cars in the garage, there is nothing you can do except light up the area well.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    All you can do is make it as hard for them as possible. They may not hit your house but they'll hit somewhere if they really want to.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    My dog barks at the things mentioned and nothing else. Someone could tear down a wall to get in and he would stand there watching them as long as they did not ride up on a bicycle or lawn mower.
    You may wish to consider an additional dog for noise factor. Our Pit is a friendly loyal pet but if we wish to be advised of something approaching our area the Chihuahua reigns supreme.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links