Indoor Lighting

This is a discussion on Indoor Lighting within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just re-read In the Gravest Extreme again last week while I was on vacation. In one part of the book Ayoob discusses lighting in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Indoor Lighting

Distinguished Member

Indoor Lighting

I just re-read In the Gravest Extreme again last week while I was on vacation. In one part of the book Ayoob discusses lighting in the home - specifically leaving certain lights on that would give you an advantage should you have a break in during the night. The moment I got home I found myself moving lamps around my first floor to help illuminate areas visible from my second floor landing. I also decided to turn off all of the lights on the second floor to leave it in deeper shadows. My wife thought I was having some type of mental breakdown by getting involved in decorating...

I was curious if anyone else has done the same thing? Do you leave certain lights on to give you an advantage should you have a home invader? Have you thought through where you would go and what would you do if you were awakened by a crash in the middle of the night? Or, am I just late to the game and lucky that I haven't needed to think through these scenarios before?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I just re-read In the Gravest Extreme again last week while I was on vacation. In one part of the book Ayoob discusses lighting in the home - specifically leaving certain lights on that would give you an advantage should you have a break in during the night. The moment I got home I found myself moving lamps around my first floor to help illuminate areas visible from my second floor landing. I also decided to turn off all of the lights on the second floor to leave it in deeper shadows. My wife thought I was having some type of mental breakdown by getting involved in decorating...

I was curious if anyone else has done the same thing? Do you leave certain lights on to give you an advantage should you have a home invader? Have you thought through where you would go and what would you do if you were awakened by a crash in the middle of the night? Or, am I just late to the game and lucky that I haven't needed to think through these scenarios before?

I leave lights on, my wife hates it but it makes sense to leave the bad guy in the light and me in the dark. My wife actually thinks it is cool when walking around our yard, every corner trips a motion light
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The lights in this house were natural for dark shadows upstairs, with lights directed at the entryways. An intruder is going to be looking into light walking into the home already.

In addition to having lights on which would discourage someone from coming in there , it also gives me a advantage by lighting them up.

The biggest arw most activated night lights. They log up the guy and show me what his path is. You have a huge advantage.

I have done this for years. Highlights them and hides me. I like it.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

If something does go bump in the night and you decide to check it out or check on other family members, make sure you and your spouse both know what to do concerning lights. A few years back, something woke up my wife middle of the night. She then woke me up. I grabbed my gun and flashlight and stepped out to the upstairs hallway. My upstairs hallway was an open bridge between the stairs/master bedroom and two other bedrooms. It offered a great view of the living room, dinning room, entry hall and part of the kitchen plus the back sliding glass door and most downstairs windows. Since I had been asleep and still had good night vision, I didn't turn on any lights or my flashlight. The wife didn't know I was trying to use the darkness to my advantage. She walks out of the bedroom and turns on the upstairs hall lights. While that did light up the downstairs a little better for me, I felt like I had stumbled out onto a stage. If anyone was down there, they're attention would be on me. We did a little work on house clearing procedures after that.
    Phaedrus and RickyD like this.

VIP Member
    I prefer 1000w HPS, but the electricity bills are.... Oh wait, very wrong forum. ;)
    Bama61 and OldVet like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I don't leave any interior lights on, but my outdoor lighting can be seen from Mars.
    gasmitty likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I actually leave no lights on at night. If I have to get up in the dark, it's amazing how well I can see where I'm going--until I turn lights on. Then I'm as bat blind as any BG would be. I have so many little green, blue, and red lights glowing throughout the house I don't need any nightlights. Seems everything with an electrical plug now needs a little glow bug of some color.
    fredg53 and molleur like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Big spots around perimeter of the house, total darkness inside (works for me) like a military base fence line, and motion sensors that text my phone immediately and wakes me up. If that happens...it's on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always leave a light or two on when we're gone but not when we're at home at night. I wake up every so often and check on the kids and I can see wonderfully like it is. If I do have to turn on a light I keep one eye closed just so I can see when it's turned off.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member
    We have some flourescents in the kitchen that when left on, provide a great backlight for any BG entering, or already in the house. The master bedroom is down a narrow unlit hallway with the backlight from the kitchen. Visibility down the hall is limited and the backlight gives us a great illumination of any approach. The only time they have ever been turned off in 20 years is to change the tubes. We have procedures in place. No fear of overpenetration even with a visiting kid in another bedroom because of the home layout.
    RickyD likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

A couple of dim lights are on downstairs, sufficient to backlight anyone entering the free-fire zone (a/k/a the staircase). I'm staying in the shadows, myself.

Yes, lights were located with that in mind.
    RickyD likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I leave no lights on at night unless the person breaking in has been in my house , i have the advantage (IMO) i know where i need to be and where to go the BG does not know what i know about the layout .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Exterior lights on motion sensors, but two sides of the house are on dawn to dusk. The dawn to dusk lights permeate the entry way and living room through the front door side light. Gives great light through a good portion of the front of the house for me. Several small night lights scattered about do a good job of providing enough light for me to get around. Turn on a light, there goes my night vision!
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links