Finding good guidance for those starting out

This is a discussion on Finding good guidance for those starting out within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was browsing the Cabela's website this evening, and ran across a page of basic advice for those looking at defensive firearms. Some of the ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By GatorGuy407
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Jaeger

Thread: Finding good guidance for those starting out

Finding good guidance for those starting out

I was browsing the Cabela's website this evening, and ran across a page of basic advice for those looking at defensive firearms. Some of the statements are, perhaps, questionable, but overall - for a site dedicated to selling stuff - it seems like a pretty decent overview for those with little or no firearm experience.

Gun Sports - Last Line of Defense : Cabela's

It got me to thinking, what's another good source of general information for someone just becoming interested in defensive firearms? I like Massad Ayoob's books, but really they're more for people who have already decided to give it a try, and are a little heavy for someone who is only at the "I wonder if I should have a gun" stage. Of course, there's plenty on DC, but I'm thinking more of a ten-minute read or video about where to start, which so far I haven't run across here.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

2. Remove Ads

While it is more directed towards women I think the Cornered Cat website does a great job covering the wide range of questions newbies have.
    molleur, airslot, mano3 and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorGuy407 View Post
    While it is more directed towards women I think the Cornered Cat website does a great job covering the wide range of questions newbies have.
    Yes, it does a very good job of it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Also, decide to what expense and what level are you prepared to defend yourself. Not everyone is prepared to go the same length for various reasons. I, too, will endorse the Cornered Cat as a good source.
    molleur and Aceoky like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OldVet is right. There are alot of things that people need to decide when they start carrying but nothing will need to be decided right off the bat. Heck some things will each change with time as that person changes and their life changes. But when to use your weapon and what to use it for is one the most important decisions you will make.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorGuy407 View Post
    Women nuthin'. I'm a cornered cat too. I'm just a much bigger one!

Kathy Jackson is a smart lady.
    Aceoky and airslot like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Women nuthin'. I'm a cornered cat too. I'm just a much bigger one!

Kathy Jackson is a smart lady.

For sure! Like this site, hers is one of the best

Thanks, folks! I haven't spent much time on her site before, but I remember it being good, what little I saw. I'll check it again.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Links