Warning shot fails to stop home intruder

This is a discussion on Warning shot fails to stop home intruder within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The whole family armed themselves when they heard the intruder trying to get in. He makes it inside and despite a warning shot still rushes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Warning shot fails to stop home intruder

The whole family armed themselves when they heard the intruder trying to get in. He makes it inside and despite a warning shot still rushes at them. Talk about the worst decision of your life. The police wasn't even sure that this guy was armed. Just makes you question the effectiveness of them. Especially if you have any kind of negative effect from the first shot, ears ringing, headache, loose grip on your weapon, etc. If anything in that situation, he might get a verbal warning. Otherwise, game over for him.

Winter Haven Residents Shoot, Kill Burglary Suspect in Their Home | TheLedger.com

The "warning shot" that I'm going to use, is the one that's going to stike you first. The other "warning shots" are going to be the onse that are going to put your lights out, should the first "warning shot" doesn't.
    I find it funny, that some think they need to fire a warning shot ( In the ground or in the air) in an attempt to bring the incident to a close. After you fire the warnign shot, where does that round go? Food for thought isn't it?
    OD*, sammage and ccw9mm like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Why don't they just rack the slide or cock the hammer back like they do in the movies? It always seems to work there.
    OD*, Badey, Recon1342 and 2 others like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

They didn't follow Uncle Joe Biden's advice. It has to be a double-barrel shotgun fired into the air out the back door.
    RickyD and kb2wji like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I've got a pretty good idea where my warning shot is going...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The problem with warning shots is auditory exclusion....

Many folks involved in Defensive shootings claim they never hear any shots because of the adrenaline rushing through their bodies. WELL GUESS WHAT!

The attacker is going through the EXACT same thing! Therefore there is a chance they will never hear the shots or in some cases feel being shot until their body starts shutting down.
    CLASS3NH, StormRhydr and TVJ like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sometimes a warning shot might work, sometimes not. Sometimes an initial shot COM might work, sometimes not. It's difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of any response, as nothing is 100% guaranteed. To me the homeowners gave the BG every chance, and when the warning didn't work, the follow-ups did. One can't predict results on any one incident.
    Last edited by OldVet; April 9th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
    CLASS3NH and molleur like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think having three family members standing there with weapons pointing at the BG is all the warning he should have needed.
    BurgerBoy and ep1953 like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

BGs IMHO have had warnings their whole life on what is right an what is wrong its not up to me to warn them again.

Distinguished Member
    Another BG off the streets, warning shots or not!
    airslot, Badey, OldVet and 1 others like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member
    If looking down the barrel does not deter a BG, it occurs to me that he has already made his choice. No warning shots - if I feel the need to fire my weapon I'm not aiming for the coo coo clock on the wall.

I like the fact that at least two of the family members fired on the POS intruder. I hope all shots hit him center mass.

One thing is certain. The family did society a huge favor by removing this scum bag from our midst.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Darwin has made sure this guy won't be passing on the stupid gene.
    ep1953 likes this.

The intruder's family will say he was trying to turn his life around and sue the family who shot the poor guy.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    BGs IMHO have had warnings their whole life on what is right an what is wrong its not up to me to warn them again.
    I agree it is certainly not up to you or I to warn these scumbags and anyone breaking into my house will find themselves under fire immediately.

I'm not so certain that they have had warnings their whole life. From comments made by relatives of some of these POS scumbags who have found them selves DRT, it appears that many of them have been told all their lives that whatever they want is their's for the taking and they have no need of getting a job. "They were good boys and did not deserve to die like the dogs that they are" just because they were breaking into somebody's home or business. The people who have been taught right from wrong all their lives generally do not go around doing things like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links