Can you survive a bear attack?

This is a discussion on Can you survive a bear attack? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This woman did... apparently by praying. I prefer a more proactive approach... what would you do? Story: What to Do to Survive a Bear Attack ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Can you survive a bear attack?

Can you survive a bear attack?

This woman did... apparently by praying. I prefer a more proactive approach... what would you do?

Story: What to Do to Survive a Bear Attack - ABC News
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

First off OUCH...I feel for that woman...

As a armed individual, the only course of action in a situation like hers would be to shoot the bear....
    rockinglock32 likes this.

I'd likely be shooting at it, throwing everything in my garage at it, yelling at it, and hopefully not getting eaten by it.

Distinguished Member
    The vast majority of people do survive bear attacks, but the results are rarely pretty.

This is the best article I have ever seen on stopping bears. He has lots of experience doing so which I find compelling; not just speaking from theory as many writers who go on about the "how" are simply speaking out their anal orifice:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=108
    Jaeger, manolito, mano3 and 3 others like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Senior Moderator
    This is what I carry in a Ruger Speed Six when I go backpacking in bear country Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.)
    BigJon10125 and Aceoky like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Prayer worked for Daniel, and he had multiple predator problems .... works for me!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"Dear God, turn this 9mm into a S&W 500."
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    "Dear God, turn this 9mm into a S&W 500."
    15 times over...
    mano3 and RickyD like this.

Right..............have taken many bear in my younger days.....most just want to leave when they detect humans although there is always that one with a bad attitude....maybe due to health issues but it always amazed me how much lead they could absorb if they were not dispatched with the first hit. Like a lead sponge, I've seen hunters empty rifle magazines to put'em away....and these were Black Bears from 250 to 500lbs...a 357Mag, maybe for a head shot...wouldn't really rely on that caliber.....something in the .40's is much better.
    DingBat likes this.

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

Sure I can. I'll just make sure my partner is on...crutches.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That is entirely up to the bear at the time.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I will combine prayer and the brain God gave me to pray for good placement of the bullets I send down range.

How many of us carry a gun they they would actually feel comfortable using to take on a charging bear? I carry a .45 ACP and I'm not sure it would be enough to stop a determined bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    How many of us carry a gun they they would actually feel comfortable using to take on a charging bear? I carry a .45 ACP and I'm not sure it would be enough to stop a determined bear.
    Maybe it wouldn't but I'd be putting at least 15 rounds in it as fast as I could. Hopefully this would hurt it enough that it wanted to leave me and mine alone.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links