Legal at home, Felon Across the River

This is a discussion on Legal at home, Felon Across the River within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Crossed the Ohio River from Kentucky into Illinois with a holstered, loaded handgun semi-visible in the map pocket of the driver's door. Had always previously ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By halem1
  • 1 Post By Badey

Thread: Legal at home, Felon Across the River

Legal at home, Felon Across the River

Crossed the Ohio River from Kentucky into Illinois with a holstered, loaded handgun semi-visible in the map pocket of the driver's door. Had always previously stopped on the Ky side, unloaded, then stored pistol & ammo in different locations. Today, I was preoccupied with some pressing business details & neglected to perform my standard "entering-Illinois" ritual. Well, it turned-out to be a bad day to forget.

Guy bumps my sedan with his Ford Superduty in a Convenient Store parking lot, no damage to either vehicle. He gets out and begins telling me that his alignment 2-3.months ago cost him $250. He wants an accident report. Suits me fine, uh, okay. Then he tells me he's a Deputy in the county & starts looking around inside my car asking what I do for a living & why am I in Illinois (35 miles from home). He then spots my revolver grip through the window. The world suddenly CHANGES! He's quickly on his cell asking for local & state LEO representation to the scene immediately. Uhhh, okay. Cruisers roll up & I'm now no longer the guy who got his car bumped. I'm a felon.

Lots of questions, paperwork & radio time. Apparently, nothing in my background check made things any...worse. Finally, a veteran State Trooper pulled me aside. Explained that this meant, for me, a trip to jail. We chatted about CC, how long I had been licensed in Ky, wasn't I aware the Illinois doesn't recognize or reciprocate ANY other permits. I told the truth, that I did INDEED know my permit meant nothing in Illinois. Yet added that I wasn't illegally carrying concealed in Illinois, as my (admittedly loaded) handgun was stored in my car. After a moment of consideration, the Trooper unloaded my revolver, handed the gun & loose ammo to me and instructed me to store both in different, non-convenient, locked locations.

I tell this cautionary tale not to plead my 2A Rights or represent myself as a blameless victim. I (think I) screwed-up. Luckily, I was thrown a bone by a reasonable, discretionary LEO. The Lesson? Being lucky is NOT a plan.
    Mike1956, Badey, airslot and 4 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    We play our cards and take our chances. I'm very glad it all worked out for you.
    "Pick a ride, any ride, they all go round and round."

You sure got a break! Glad that there was at 1 LEO with some understanding and compassion.
    Bisquit69 likes this.

My understanding was that you were legal.

From Handgunlaw.us

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
    vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
    vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

He became illegal when he stepped out of the car, leaving the loaded gun unsecured in the car.

VIP Member
    Glad you were able to remove yourself from a bad situation .
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

Senior Moderator
    10. Discussion of illegal activities, except in reporting the actions of others, is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law, even in your distant past.
    Closed
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links