Going camping - need car safe recommendation

Going camping - need car safe recommendation

This is a discussion on Going camping - need car safe recommendation within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I'm going camping next week with my family, and I don't wanna leave my gun at home when I'm not there. I was ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By welder516
  • 1 Post By Bama61
  • 3 Post By Nmuskier
  • 1 Post By Hatrix
  • 2 Post By AndyK
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Going camping - need car safe recommendation

Question Going camping - need car safe recommendation

Hi All,

I'm going camping next week with my family, and I don't wanna leave my gun at home when I'm not there.

I was thinking about getting a car safe, and found this one: http://www.gunsafereviewssite.com/ha...n-safe-review/.

Does anyone have experience with this safe or others like it? How easy would it be for a young lady to install it? Does it make sense to take the gun in the tent with me instead of leaving it in a safe in the car?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

VIP Member
    That looks like a good gun safe , If you are legal to carry it would be best in your waistband or in your possesion . As long as no kids will have access to it also you want to make sure any state parks or facilities are ok to carry into .

If the state you list on your avatar is correct then i would check all laws within your state . IMO
    Handgunlaw.us this is a great resource for information . Have fun
    CWOUSCG and Eagleks like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member
    I agree with welder, if you can legally carry it I'd keep it on my person.

That does look like a pretty good safe.
    welder516 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Or for 1/10th the price:
    NV 300 | GunVault

Simple, tamper resistant, and sturdy. I don't get overly Ft.Knox when looking at securing a gun in a car. After all, they can just steal the car. I want to deter the majority of quick grabs an provide myself reasonable liability assurance. Usually it would be on me, but for brief periods, the Gunvault works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Or for 1/10th the price:
    NV 300 | GunVault

Simple, tamper resistant, and sturdy. I don't get overly Ft.Knox when looking at securing a gun in a car. After all, they can just steal the car. I want to deter the majority of quick grabs an provide myself reasonable liability assurance. Usually it would be on me, but for brief periods, the Gunvault works just fine.
    What he said. Cabelas has something similar, Bulldog brand I think, on sale for 30 bucks I think. Just kinda looked at them on the way through because I didn't know you were looking so I'm not ready to give a full report.

Oh, and keep it on you. Doesn't do you any good in the glovebox if you're in the tent.

Or for 1/10th the price:
    NV 300 | GunVault

^^^This^^^
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Get a heavy duty cable lock, lock the slide back (unloaded), feed cable through the action and secure it to a hardpoint under the seat.
    msgt/ret and tcox4freedom like this.

Or for 1/10th the price:
    NV 300 | GunVault

That's what I use... BUT ... and a BIG .. "BUT" .... I have guns that won't fit in one, so make sure your gun will actually fit. Mine won't fit due to the "depth " of it.... gun is too wide/high when it sits in it.

You can take the safe inside the tent with you , in case it's needed.... rather than leaving it in the car. Think that would be a better option.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    That's what I use... BUT ... and a BIG .. "BUT" .... I have guns that won't fit in one, so make sure your gun will actually fit. Mine won't fit due to the "depth " of it.... gun is too wide/high when it sits in it.

You can take the safe inside the tent with you , in case it's needed.... rather than leaving it in the car. Think that would be a better option.
    To get a bigger gun to fit, try taking the foam inserts out and placing the firearm in a holster to protect it instead--

I just got my wife a Nano compact safe. I took the foam out and my wife's 24/7 Pro C and her BG380 will both fit. I just keep them both in a cheap UM's instead of the foam inserts.

-

Looks like it'll work. And Welcome to DC. Best website going.

NRA Life Member
    Retired USAF

Here's a simple and elegant solution: In Car Gun Lockers

These are easy to use, well made lock boxes (not a safe), TSA legal if you every fly, handy in the car, in hotels, where ever, and not too darn expensive.

Please do not over-think your solution. While nice, the safe you linked too is expensive and if not secured in some manner, is just as vulnerable as any inexpensive solution.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    Get a heavy duty cable lock, lock the slide back (unloaded), feed cable through the action and secure it to a hardpoint under the seat.
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^

The best thing about the COM/Gunvault safes are the portability; you can move them from vehicle to vehicle as needed or into a hotel room etc. I've found ours to be very handy.

Links